Toyota Nation Forum banner

No A/C - 2004 Matrix XR

936 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  insightbrewery 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm working on a buddy's 2004 Matrix XR. Just did front brakes, power steering flush, fixed the vent control cable, and tossed in a new battery. He just brought it back to me with a new problem: A/C is not working. It's raining, so I will do a bit of diagnostic tomorrow; thought I'd post here for your input beforehand.

Here's what I do know:

- I hooked up my manifold gauge set: both low and high pressure sides are within spec
- A/C fuses are good. When you hit the A/C button, the fan comes on and the idle increases, but the clutch does not engage
- in previous Toyotas of mine, the A/C button light would blink to indicate a problem with the system. This is not happening.

What do you guys think?

Thanks as usual.

#3 ·
Oh, forgot to mention - tested that relay against a known good one, checked out. CAF is good, could that cause no A/C? fan blows, just no compressor operation/cold air.

#7 ·
Nah, refrigerant levels are good according to the manifold gauge set. I realize that after it stopped cooling the compressor is not circulating, but pressures are higher/within range. Buddy said he did not use any cans to recharge it. I have dye, but will hold off on that after testing the other components

#8 ·
There is a pressure switch in the system. If the pressure is less than 28 psi or more than 455 psi the ECU will not engage the clutch. Even if the pressure is in the correct range, if the pressure switch has failed, the clutch won't engage. I've never seen the pressure switch fail before though.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Thanks, I'll see if I get a chance to check both out. TBH this is my buddy's GF's car, and they're breaking up soon so it might not be my problem anymore. Will still try to update this thread because I don't like to leave them hanging if I can help it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.