Toyota Nation Forum banner

Corolla s mod questions motor seats

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  75aces 
#1 ·
Two questions I'll get right to the point ... besides ecu tranny and long blockbuster and head what is needed for a complete 2zz-ge swap in my Corolla s... second question to install xrs seats or after market seats in general can I bolt it up or will I face issues with airbags and lights thank you. I would like either the xrs seats or some after market bolt up seats that are universal. That's pretty much it. I just want my car too look and perform a certain way

#2 ·
For the swap, you will need the ECU, long block, engine harness, and TCU. 2005 and 2006 Corolla XRS I believe is dbw. If yours is a throttle cable, you will need the module also.

My 2006 XRS doesn't have airbags in the seat. The connections should be the same. These are direct bolt in. Not sure about racing seats. I just know that you will need to modify the sliders.

#6 ·
I don't know the cutoff, but supposedly the newer ones of the 9th gen had some special sensor in the front passenger seat to prevent the airbag from deploying if there wasnt anyone sitting there or you had a kid in a car seat up front or something.

#8 ·
Yes the front and rear seats are a direct bolt in. The only issue with the front seats are the airbag connectors if the donor seats are equipped with airbags and will need to be calibrated.

If you do decide to go with an aftermarket racing seat, then you will need to either purchase the seat rails or modify your stock seat rails to bolt to the seat and possibly the chassis.

The TCU is the tranny computer. Just be mindful that the Celica 2zz is mounted in an angle compared to the corolla. I do not know if that will be an issue for you. The rear of the motor sits lower due to the chassis. Again, not 100%. Good luck.

#9 ·
You basically cannot easily do a 2ZZGE swap.

You need to swap basically the entire car wiring harness, entire powertrain, ABS system, and accelerator cable (maybe pedal too).

The biggest problem is all XRS models have 4 wheel ABS and use it to detect speed. Your S probably doesn't have ABS and as such you will have problems with registering speed. Also your fuel sending unit may be incompatible with the XRS gauge cluster, so you may not have fuel level without swapping over to a newer sending unit.

All in all, it's not worth it. It's MUCH easier to just sell yours and buy an XRS.

#11 ·
To clear up wiring under the seats;

That's the occupant detection system. There is a sensor in the seat that detects weight over 25 Lbs. If it weighs more than that threshold or is 25 lbs, the airbag activates. If you are in an accident or have passengers whom flop as they sit, it'll throw the calibration off and you'll need to get it reset, $125.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm reading that the 2003 matrix xrs uses a throttle cable. I could
Be wrong but I'm going to assume I can drop in a 2zz .. use the matrix ecu .. find a dumped xrs and take the breaks do the break swap basically get a donar car. I don't feel like financing a car, I've already cleaned up my car good and plus I like projects, this isn't the first car I've blown money on. I'm not broke if I gotta spend 2-3Gs so be it. It's not like
I'm bringing it to a shop where some scum bag is gonna try to charge me 6000 lol I'm doing this in my buddies garage with all the tools I would need and
He knows
His so I'm not worried about the money ... I just want to make sure if I buy any 2zz and 6 speed tranny .... that every thing I need is listed so I cancel start buying this. I really
Doubt
It's going to cost more than 3000 if that's the case I'll go turbo blow the 1zz but while I'm driving that around I'll buy another 1zz and send it off to a machine shop so I can do what needs to be done to run some boost. I want to stay N/A because last time
I had a turbo car there was just this bad
Hunger for more power ... naturally aspirated and high compression ratios will keep me from saying hmm it boost ... I'm just rambling but yeah I just want to know everything I'm going to need to effectively do this swap. I'm not an idiot when it comes to cars I do a lot of my work my self and with my buddy who has been teaching me the last 2
Years. This will be my second motor swap. These toyotas confuse me lol so im on these threads to learn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.