Cabin Filter Q: which way is up? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)

9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View sponger's Photo Gallery
Cabin Filter Q: which way is up?

Nevermind. Since the "UP" side of the Toyota filter has all the crap stuck in it, I guess it's safe to say that the air is flowing down. Thanks.

My 9th Gen toyota brand cabin filter has the word "UP" written on the side of the filter, so no problem there.

But, the filter I just bought has the words "AIR FLOW" and then an arrow pointing down.

So, I'm not sure if that means I should install the filter with the words "AIR FLOW" right side up, or if I should install it with the arrow pointing up.

Anyone know if the air flows up or down through the filter area? It looks like the air cond. is beneath the air filter, so my guess is that the air is flowing down through the air filter and then to the air cond. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
sponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2007, 12:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View JustinGB's Photo Gallery
Could you give me an insight to where the cabin filter is in? My car sat under a tree for ~ 8 months and prolly collected lots of stuff, i've noticed that since then when I use vent to blow in air it doesn't blow as much air as it used to. Would that be cos of the cabin filter? If so where? Thanks
JustinGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

I don't know about other generations, but in the 9th gen, the cabin filter is located behind the glove compartment. Detailed instructions on replacing the cabin filter are in the owner's manual.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
2005ToyotaCorollaS

View daniel2002p's Photo Gallery
air flow is going up

D
daniel2002p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View JustinGB's Photo Gallery
I have a gen7, but you would think that the symptoms i explained(poor airflow when in vent) is from a clogged cabin filter? I know took out the blower and pulled out some lint from it and now when in I turn the fans on the air blows strong but like I said air flow from vent is not as good.
I have a chilton's book but can't find anything tht sais "cabin filter" on it. Can anyone shed some light?
JustinGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel2002p
air flow is going up

D

I don't see how that could be when considering that the top side of the OEM filter had all the crap stuck in it.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
2005ToyotaCorollaS

View daniel2002p's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger
I don't see how that could be when considering that the top side of the OEM filter had all the crap stuck in it.
i have a 9th gen and all the dust is always on the bottom.... the 8th gen could be diff butI dont see them changing that tho

D
daniel2002p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel2002p
i have a 9th gen and all the dust is always on the bottom.... the 8th gen could be diff butI dont see them changing that tho

D
Mine is a 9th gen. I'd post a photo of the OEM filter, but my camera is broken at this time.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

View Raddman's Photo Gallery
USA

Quote:
Mine is a 9th gen. I'd post a photo of the OEM filter, but my camera is broken at this time.
I'm just changing mine...$15 at Autozone..the dealer wants $54 to replace it...It's a 5 minute job, I have a picture of where it goes somewhere if you want to see it I'll try to look for it!

If your filter isn't that dirty just shake or brush it out and replace...It's not like your air filter where it has super air being sucked through it...Seem funny some years after a year my filters almost clean looking other years it's filthy...

Raddguy
Raddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddman
I'm just changing mine...$15 at Autozone..the dealer wants $54 to replace it...It's a 5 minute job, I have a picture of where it goes somewhere if you want to see it I'll try to look for it!

If your filter isn't that dirty just shake or brush it out and replace...It's not like your air filter where it has super air being sucked through it...Seem funny some years after a year my filters almost clean looking other years it's filthy...

Raddguy

Sorry, but it doesn't really seem like you read the thread.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

USA

Quote:
Nevermind. Since the "UP" side of the Toyota filter has all the crap stuck in it, I guess it's safe to say that the air is flowing down. Thanks.

My 9th Gen toyota brand cabin filter has the word "UP" written on the side of the filter, so no problem there.

But, the filter I just bought has the words "AIR FLOW" and then an arrow pointing down.

So, I'm not sure if that means I should install the filter with the words "AIR FLOW" right side up, or if I should install it with the arrow pointing up.

Anyone know if the air flows up or down through the filter area? It looks like the air cond. is beneath the air filter, so my guess is that the air is flowing down through the air filter and then to the air cond. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Quote:
Sorry, but it doesn't really seem like you read the thread.

Sorry just trying to help out someone reading this thread with saving some money by doing an easy job themselves...

My ninth generation has the air flow going up into the car from the blower underneath the filter ...If your getting crap stuck on the top side of your filter then you better check your cars generation again..

Quote:
When you flip it over the arrow is pointing up....

If you would have checked the air flow arrow on your old filter before removing or took the filter out and checked the blower air flow direction we wouldn't be have this kind of stupid thread...
Old 05-20-2007, 12:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Sorry just trying to help out someone reading this thread with saving some money by doing an easy job themselves...

My ninth generation has the air flow going up into the car from the blower underneath the filter ...If your getting crap stuck on the top side of your filter then you better check your cars generation again..

When you flip it over the arrow is pointing up....

If you would have checked the air flow arrow on your old filter before removing or took the filter out and checked the blower air flow direction we wouldn't be have this kind of stupid thread...
The old filter has the words "UP" written on it next to the upward pointing arrow. It's the OEM filter. Are you sure you know what filter I'm talking about? Doesn't sound like you do. I don't think your car came with a cabin other than the OEM filter, which means you should've known that it's not necessary to check the arrow before removing the filter.

I have a 2006 corolla, which is 9th gen I believe. I could be wrong on that.

On page 75 of 112 of this link, there is a photo of a camry cabin filter (placed above the blower just as in the 9th gen corolla) and you can see that the crap is on the top side of the filter. Could it be that the filter keeps crap from getting into the blower?

http://www.autopartsource.com/catalog/7704.pdf

Look, judging from your comments, it still doesn't seem like you're really reading the thread, and it doesn't really seem like you understand how the cabin filtration works.

save yourself some embarassment and take your "help" elsewhere. I was nice the first time, but I guess I have to be rude now. Thanks again.

Last edited by sponger; 05-20-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

USA

Quote:
save yourself some embarassment and take your "help" elsewhere. I was nice the first time, but I guess I have to be rude now. Thanks again.
Why not save yourself the embarrassment over a simple thing like this and instead of getting multiple different replies here, just take your car or call a dealer, or ask the auto parts store/dealer where you bought it and get the correct answer from them instead of trying to crudely explain your situation here.......

You have 30 posts here I have over 700...I've helped hundreds of people here over the years, so telling me to "take my help somewheres else" is like me telling you that you shouldn't even be owning a car if you can't figure out a simple thing like the air flow direction of a filter ...

I'd be embarrassed to put that question on here....You must be a friend of Rice!
Old 05-20-2007, 03:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
I'd be embarrassed to put that question on here
LMAO. You'd rather stay ignorant than risk looking stupid.

The air flows down through the cabin filter.....guess you learned something today.

Last edited by sponger; 05-20-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)