Matrix engine swap question - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)

9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View datboyjae's Photo Gallery
Exclamation Matrix engine swap question

for starters, im a noob just being introduced to matrix. what peaked my interest for these cars was that i recently found out that the xr and xrs comes with all wheel drive. i like the motor thats in it, and doing a turbo set up is a good option. but i thought of swapping a 2jz motor into it. now, is it possible? i know that i would need money and lots of it, but thats fine, im in the military so i got money to play with. anyone got any leads? let me know i do appreciate it
datboyjae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Taco Lover

View Smar969905's Photo Gallery
correction...the xrs is front wheel drive only. the difference is the motor, transmission, and suspension. the xrs comes with a slightly stiffer suspension, and the high output 2ZZ motor compared to the low output 1ZZ in the base model and xr. in the manual transmission, the xrs has 6 gears, while the base and xr have 5.

as for putting in a 2jz, i doubt it would work, because these cars are designed as front wheel drive (or optional awd on the xr only). that motor was designed as rear wheel drive. it is possible to rotate motors 90 degrees, but to then get a transmission on, i dont think it would fit inside the engine bay.

your best bet would be to turbo or supercharge an XR AWD. the XRS is already high compression, and most people dont want to add boost because that is a good way to blow the engine with too high of compression.
Smar969905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View datboyjae's Photo Gallery
so your saying that i cant swap a 2jz into the awd version? i was looking at the xr anyways. i like that model versus the xrs. i did look up turbo kits for it, i had a 94 standard sc 300 and always wanted to buy another but i came across an xr and the owner told me it was awd so i thought hey maybe i can swap a 2jz into it. thanx though
datboyjae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Taco Lover

i wont say that you can't put a 2jz in, but i doubt you could get it to fit in. with enough money and modification, you could always find a way to adjust things to make it work.

i am in a little bit of a hurry now, so i dont have time to look up the stats, but the AWD XR version is still primarily front wheel drive, so it would be very challenging to put a motor designed for RWD into something where it was designed to be fit with a FWD motor & tranny.

part of the reason the xrs is not awd is because it has a 6 speed tranny which is too big to be able to fit the transfer case in as well. take into account that the 2jz will be a longer motor that the 1zz or 2zz.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Corolla XRS user

Gameroom cash: $1036500
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
View REN69's Photo Gallery
2JZ into a Matrix???

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!
REN69 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2007, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
08 XR

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
View MrJones's Photo Gallery
try doing it. there is a weight difference between the engines. but i think your best bet would be getting the whole drivetrain from the supra and a few sandbags. if money isnt an issue, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECale3 View Post
It's not about the destination, it's about the drive.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View dominicano19's Photo Gallery
wuzzup guys, picking up on the whole concept of swapping engine on a matrix, my question is can it be possible to put an 3S-GTE on a xr matrix awd? if so how easy/hard could it be? thx
dominicano19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Taco Lover

i would think it would be possible to do a 3S swap into a matrix, but i dont know how well it would work out. i have heard of MR2 guys going for a 2zz swap for some of their cars, so i would think that a 3S would have good potential for working.

Look into the position of motor mounts though. if you do find that it looks like it will fit, then i highly suggest you take a transmission from the MR2 that was designed for the 300 HP output of the 3S. the stock matrix transmission will take the power for a little while, but it will break down much faster. also look into upgrading the axles for the same reason. if you could hook the 3S into AWD, you would have a car to play with an Evo or STi...almost

Find me on TacomaWorld
Old 06-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
XRSs'n

View Corolla_reps's Photo Gallery
if you are able to do this i'll give you all the respect in the world because anything is possible just make it happen.....action speaks louder than words
Old 06-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View dasspr's Photo Gallery
*sorry didn’t read the whole thread! But I just had to write something up!

2jz in a trix = LOL! Don’t get me wrong now; rwd in a matrix/corolla has been done before! But by companies WITH A LOT OF $$$$$$! Yes 6 digits! For time attack and drag racing purposes!

The AWD system in the MATRIX XR is not made for performance! You CAN NOT! Compare the trix's awd system with the Subaru’s for example! It’s just NOT the same! Plus you would have to tear and move the fire wall back and among many other things!

And the end of the day it would be cheaper to buy a last gen supra, tweak/tune the hell out of it to produce 500whp, plus you will be turning more heads than in a "matrix"

but then again! I sense this is just another "äll talk no go" thread... sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smar969905 View Post
the XRS is already high compression, and most people dont want to add boost because that is a good way to blow the engine with too high of compression.
Which is why companies like wiseco, mahle etc... Have given us options to switch to low compression pistons! My friend has a 430whp corolla xrs running at about +25 psi, it runs strong all day! another friend has a celica gt-s running +450whp...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Frm787

Can’t turbo a 2zz? It will break? = BS! A 2zz, with a turbo correctly mounted and tuned will run +350whp all day long without breaking * of course you will have to change many things like oil/fuel pumps, pistons, valves, injectors etc...

http://store.monkeywrenchracing.com/...cPath=42_47_61

Last edited by dasspr; 06-12-2009 at 08:13 AM.
dasspr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Fruitbat's Photo Gallery
x100 on the big WTF at a 2JZ in a Matrix. Just...no. Sell the 78 copies of "The Fast and the Furious" that you bought and take the Vin Diesel poster off your wall.

Now the 3S-GTE can probably work, since there are working swaps in Celica's coming from the 1ZZ engine. But, it's probably easier to harden/turbo the 1ZZ anyway.

Plus, the Matrix isn't the best platform for an over 300HP engine anyway. High center of gravity and all that. If I wanted a sports car, I wouldn't have bought a compact wagon.

New Hotness: '08 Matrix XR <1ZZ-FE>
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)