Bike Rack Options - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)

9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View xfactor78's Photo Gallery
Bike Rack Options

hey guys,

Haven't been on here for a while. Well I was just bored sitting here on the computer and thinking about biking. Once or twice a summer we take a roadtrip up to whistler, bc to go just relax and I go mountain biking. I have a pretty heavy dually and its about 45-50 pounds. I don't want to get a hitch or a roof rack. I was wondering what some good options for a getting a roof mounted rack? I was thinking about the Thule Speedway 3 and also that Saris Bones rack. But I don't know if they'd fit on to the matrix since its a hatch. I was wondering what you guys use for bike racks and how well they work? Heres a pic of my bike:

Thanks, Brendan
xfactor78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View bc toy's Photo Gallery
Hey, nice rig. How's the roco on that when pedalling, little bouncy?
Anyways, I've got a fairly heavy bullit, and my bro has a bighit, a friggin tank, lol.
I installed a hitch. You barely see it's there.

It's a hidden hitch and took all of 15mins to install myself. Rackattack had them for 150 last year reg 210
Just make sure you get the correct one. One is for with body kit and one without.
bc toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc toy View Post
Hey, nice rig. How's the roco on that when pedalling, little bouncy?
Anyways, I've got a fairly heavy bullit, and my bro has a bighit, a friggin tank, lol.
I installed a hitch. You barely see it's there.

It's a hidden hitch and took all of 15mins to install myself. Rackattack had them for 150 last year reg 210
Just make sure you get the correct one. One is for with body kit and one without.
Thanks, I called them and they said they have it for $200 + $60 for installation. What tools did you need to install it? I'm starting to want to get a hitch now. What rack did you buy?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

lol, $60 for a 15min job.
All you need is a 3/4" socket (I think that was the size) It's 4 bolts, the frame is already threaded for it. Get the "HiddenHitch" brand, the others are imo ugly.
I just have this rack

It's not the best rack for sure, but I've had no worries about it in 2 years I've owned it

If you are unsure about the install of the hitch, I could give you a hand, just pm me. I'm in port moody
Old 01-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

oh yeah, that rack does go on sale for about 129
Old 01-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View TRXR4KDS's Photo Gallery
I agree with bc_toy, the Hidden Hitch is the way to go. And it really only takes 15 minutes, tops to install. I have the Swagman Hitch, bought at MEC but I don't know if it would work with your bike. It does adjust for various top bars.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

I'll probably be getting this one:
http://www.hiddenhitch.com/
with the same rack bc toy has. Thanks so much your help guys.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Taco Lover

View Smar969905's Photo Gallery
i have ridden a time or 2, but i am a road rider, after having done the STP (Seattle to Portland, about 200 miles over 2 days) for the last 2 years and looking to do that again this year as well as the road portion of the mountain to sound (only 50 miles on the road for this). I also got my girlfriend into riding with me, so what i have done is put the back seats down, take off the front tire of each bike, and put them in the back of the car. at this point, there is only space for a driver and passenger though, and it is easy enough to wedge all kinds of supplies in around the bikes.

at one point, i went out for a ride with the girlfriend and her sister, so with 3 bikes, i borrowed the strap on rack. on my XRS, there wasnt a place on the underside to hook the lower hooks, so they all went on top of the hatch. the bikes would almost kind of bounce out away from the car, but not really. i didnt like doing it this way, so i am working the funding up to get a roof rack. I also have a kayak to take places from time to time, so the rear hitch wouldnt work for me.

Find me on TacomaWorld
Smar969905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View msphawkeye's Photo Gallery
does anyone use the Saris Bones style racks? they have a new one called the RS that has no straps. just curious how it does on the back of a matrix. i have a 2008.
msphawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Taco Lover

After looking at the Saris Bones RS, it does indeed have straps, but it is designed to fit any vehicle from sedan to hatchback to SUV. Look at the instruction manual for it and you can see in the pictures. I used something similar when i had 3 bikes, and i didnt like how it sat.

Find me on TacomaWorld
Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

here is what i don't understand about roof racks. i went from a montero sport (with side rails factory installed) to the matrix. i have (yakima i think) cross bars and feet to attach to the side rails. i only used this for skis not bikes. what would i need to use those cross bars and feet on the matrix? or would i be better off going with the hitch rack? i think eventually we might need a roof box so i won't get rid of the cross bars in case they can be reused.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Taco Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by msphawkeye View Post
here is what i don't understand about roof racks. i went from a montero sport (with side rails factory installed) to the matrix. i have (yakima i think) cross bars and feet to attach to the side rails. i only used this for skis not bikes. what would i need to use those cross bars and feet on the matrix? or would i be better off going with the hitch rack? i think eventually we might need a roof box so i won't get rid of the cross bars in case they can be reused.
The roof racks are usually a universal type setup. Once you have the rack on the car, as you do in your case, then all you need are the particular attachments for it. there are of course different styles of how to put a bike up there. go to www.yakima.com and go through the products, but the ways go from putting up the whole bike with clamp arms to keep the wheels down, straps to keep the wheels on the track, hookup for the front forks so you have to take off the front wheel, and more. it is all about how you want to do it. prices vary from $60 to $375, but the high end is also for a tandem bike.

Find me on TacomaWorld
Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

let me clarify my question. what i don't understand is how to attach bars when there are no factory installed rails on the matrix roof. are there special feet that you buy and the buy rails that the crossbars sit on? is that making sense?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Taco Lover

yes there are special feet that clamp on. the only downside to them is that they push out a little bit of the weatherstripping on the doors, but not enough to cause any damage.

Find me on TacomaWorld
Old 09-02-2008, 12:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
New TN User

View runtacorun's Photo Gallery
I know this is an old thread, but as I am searching for an answer to my bike hauling problem, I cam across this thread. Part of the reason we bought the matrix was so that when I do races that are far away, I don't have to take the Tacoma crewcab and use so much gas. I am a little over 6'1" and I ride a 56 Cervelo P3C or 58 Soloist, depending on what I am doing.
Anyway, my first plan was to lay the back seats flat, remove the headrests, turn the bars sideways and drop the forks down into the gap between the front seats and folded seats. That didnt work. My seat was too high. Oh, yeah, I wanted to get the bike in without removing the seat, but I ended up having to take the seat off anyway.
I removed the seat and just slid it in backward and turned the bars. I had it backed up t the front seat and it fit, barely, but it fit. In this manner, I could do the same on the other side with my girlfriends bike and leave the middle for luggage, etc...
My take on bikes and racks are that I don't want my $5000 bike to be my rear bumper or lose the mpg on top of the car.
If anyone wants a pic, I will take one.
BTW, my other idea , and I might do this down the road, is to remove the spare tire panel, slide my bike in front first, and drop the rear tire into that crevice. That way, I might avoid removing my seat.
If you have a mtn bike, and not a 29'r, you might be able to just do a bike board.
runtacorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)