CE vs LE (Gen 9) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
CE vs LE (Gen 9)

What is the difference between the CE, LE and S Corolla? What is a "B" package. Are split rear seats standard across all GEN9 Corollas? Is cruise control a separate option or part of a package?

2002 Camry 2.4L Auto - 80K miles
2008 Corolla 1.8L Auto - 54K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-06-2009, 07:38 AM
'11 Camry

In general, here are the details (and I've never heard of the B package):

The CE model is the base model. It came standard with manual locks, windows, etc. Many things were optional. You could get power windows, power locks, cruise control, etc. But not all models had these. It had black side guard strips, and came with 185/65R15 tires.

The S model is the "sport" model. It came with power windows and locks (I'm pretty sure). I don't know whether cruise was standard or not; I think it was optional, or part of a package. It came with hubcaps and 195/65R15 tires, though alloy wheels were commonly optioned. The S also has a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter knob and lower plastic cladding. The S (and LE) have body-color side guard strips.

The LE model is the "highline" model. Power accessories were standard across the board, though I think cruise was still optional. The LE has Optitron gauges (for '05+). The LE also came standard with hubcaps and 195/65R15 tires, though alloy wheels were optional (though rare from what I've seen). The LE also has faux wood grain trim on the inside (it's pleasing to look at, but it's clearly not genuine wood).

A 5-speed manual transmission was standard on all; a 4-speed automatic was optional on all.

When I looked, I looked only for an LE, and I wanted a 5-speed. Relatively rare. I liked the wood tones of the LE, and knew I wanted power everything and cruise. Although those items were options on other trims, I know they were standard on the LE. I didn't know the LE had the Optitron gauges, and I wouldn't go without after having them; love 'em. I knew I didn't want the S because of all the plastic cladding.

The only thing the LE didn't have that I wanted was fog lights. So I added 'em after I bought it. I also got rid of the steel wheels and hubcaps and added some alloy wheels off a Toyota Prius.

2011 Toyota Camry (Sandy Beach Metallic)
2005 Acura MDX Touring (Billet Silver Metallic)
#3 Old 03-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks JasonA - do you know if the split rear folding seats are standard across all trim lines and is the rear spoiler only available on the "S"?

#4 Old 03-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Official TN Member

All had split 60/40 rear except the xrs. As for the spoiler, I've never seen anything except an S or Xrs with one. You can always just buy one from a dealership or online if you really want one for your ce or le. Personally, i don't like the oem spoiler, the jdm Altis lip spoiler looks muuuch nicer i think, or any m3 style lip spoiler for that matter.
#5 Old 03-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Official TN Member

One other item to add:

The S was the only one of the three that came with the charcoal interior. Being a dark color, I felt it would hide dirt the best. That is what made me look for only an S for my Corolla. I'll say, I do really prefer the LE's instrumentation - but not as much as I like the interior trim color on the S... so that's the way I went.

I think the LE also had the 6 disc CD, yes?

My S was a low end - no spoiler (I don't like them - although the Altis lip style are nice) no mags (OEM are rather plain - I added my own) and no moon roof!

George
2007 Corolla S
USAF 1984-2005

Last edited by NMGeorge; 03-07-2009 at 12:31 AM.
#6 Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 AM
New TN User

Yea LE comes with 6 disc
HOW'D YOU GETTA S WITHOUT A SPOILER.....ripoff
#7 Old 03-07-2009, 11:37 AM
New TN User

We have 4 corollas in my family and 1 matrix, and they are all Gen9, and this is how I remember the differences, here in Ontario Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
In general, here are the details (and I've never heard of the B package):.

A lot of the "packages" and options and what was standard etc. depends on the year of the model, and on where it was sold.
In Ontario Canada, the B package meant it had power windows and I believe cruise control.

Quote:
The CE model is the base model. It came standard with manual locks, windows, etc. Many things were optional. You could get power windows, power locks, cruise control, etc. But not all models had these. It had black side guard strips, and came with 185/65R15 tires.

Again this depends on year and location of sale.
The CE was the base model however here in ON,CAN, in 2004 up power remote locks were standard, cruise was part of the power option B package, and trim color black was standard, and i think later on color trim became standard . Not to sure about tires but hubcaps were standard alloys were optional on CE. Also you can buy a CE in manual transmission, but in 2005-06 for some reason you could not get a LE in standard transmission (very rare). Thus by adding the right packages, you could make a CE, into a LE, just without the auto trans.. (My moms car is a manual CE with all the options added matching a LE's standard spec)

Quote:
The S model is the "sport" model. It came with power windows and locks (I'm pretty sure). I don't know whether cruise was standard or not; I think it was optional, or part of a package. It came with hubcaps and 195/65R15 tires, though alloy wheels were commonly optioned. The S also has a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter knob and lower plastic cladding. The S (and LE) has body-color side guard strips..

Same thing here. 2004 and up, The S model did NOT come standard with power windows or cruise or sunroof in 2004 up to 2006,,, not sure about 07 or 08. You had to add the power package to get power windows. My bro has a 05 S with manual windows. Remote keyless power locks though were standard.

Main difference in S model is Skirt package with spoiler.
Also standard was Black interior option with extra two speakers, and white instrument dial cluster, and leather wrapped steering wheel.
Exterior had standard alloy rims, blackouts in the headlights, & color trim and mirrors and black around side windows instead of body paint color, thus giving the car a more aggressive sporty look.
There were also lots of options which (some eventually became standard), such as tire pressure monitoring via ABS, and traction control, and various audio packages, and sunroof.
However engine was same as CE and LE model, so no real performance difference in a S.
The XRS had a higher HP, high comp engine and resulted in higher performance at the expense of premium fuel.

Thats just how i remember it, I am sure however that what is offered is different from place to place, as I have friends who bought a corolla new outside of ontario, and they had different features standard vs optional.
I think a lot also has to do with the dealership and what they have on the lot and what they are willing to throw in at the time for free to make a sale.
#8 Old 03-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Guys. I am currently shopping for 2005-2007 Corolla. Was trying to figure out if cruise and split rear fold down seats were standard on all models. Sounds like the split rear seat is standard, but cruise is an option. Also like the "S" look, but it adds quite a bit to the used car price from what I have observed. I would like AC. Power door locks and windows would be nice, but not essential.

The Corolla is to replace my 18 year old '91 Tercel daily commuter. It is the most reliable car I have ever owned (much more reliable than my '96 Camry) - but the body is in pretty rough shape. I average only 6,000 miles/year driving back and forth to work. I would like to hold on to the car for a minimum of 15 years. My Tercel is a manual 5 speed. Most of the used Corollas around here are automatic. What are your thoughts on automatic vs. manual in terms of reliability? Have there been any issues with the automatic transmission on the Corolla?

Last edited by dz63; 03-07-2009 at 01:40 PM.
#9 Old 03-07-2009, 03:43 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz63 View Post
My Tercel is a manual 5 speed. Most of the used Corollas around here are automatic. What are your thoughts on automatic vs. manual in terms of reliability? Have there been any issues with the automatic transmission on the Corolla?
I have no idea how reliable the automatics are since all our corollas and our matrix are standard transmission. We find that in small 4cylinder cars you get better performance and fuel efficiency in a manual trans, and personally find it more enjoyable to drive manual transmission.

I would agree that it is quite difficult nowadays to find a used manual transmission car, for sale in the city, as the vast majority appear to be automatics.(which is unfortunate)

Only cars we have had that are auto trans, are minivans, SUV or trucks, which is fine for those kinds of vehicles.

Best of luck to you in your search.
#10 Old 03-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Official TN Member

FWIW: My only regret in the purchase of my car is that I bought one with an AT...

BTW: Plenty of S model Corollas running around without the trunk lid spoiler... Makes the car look so much cleaner - IMO. To each their own!

George
2007 Corolla S
USAF 1984-2005

#11 Old 03-08-2009, 05:00 PM
New TN User

We have an LE and a CE. Ce has single disc player, LE 6 disc. LE has optitron gages and I don't like them- when wearing sunglasses you can't read them in the sunlight at all. My CE is much better that way. Ce is manual, LE is at. Manual does about 2 mpg better on highway. Didn't like the S spoilers and all the plastic around the car so didn't consider one. CE has 52000 miles, not a problem anywhere. LE has 20000 miles, had trim pc. above door pop up and be replaced twice, and it is up again. Will fix it myself this time. Ce is 2006, LE is 2005. Wife drives the LE and I drive the CE, which also has a trailer hitch from U Haul that is great. I love them both.
#12 Old 03-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Official TN Member

+1 for a two Corolla family.

PS: My family has it's roots in Manitowoc... GO PACK!

George
2007 Corolla S
USAF 1984-2005

#13 Old 03-09-2009, 08:06 AM
'11 Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-wis View Post
had trim pc. above door pop up and be replaced twice, and it is up again. Will fix it myself this time.
Steve, are you talking about the black rubber trim that runs the length of roof? Mine has also popped up slightly on the end, above the driver side rear door, just where it meets with the back window. I can press it back down, but it will eventually pop back up 1/2" or so after a day or two. Is this the problem you had with yours?

On the sunglasses thing with the Optitron meters, I wonder what kind of sunglasses you have. Mine are even polarized, but no visibility issues. It's hard for me to read the radio display, but not the meters. Do you have a special color on your lenses or something?

2011 Toyota Camry (Sandy Beach Metallic)
2005 Acura MDX Touring (Billet Silver Metallic)
#14 Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM
New TN User

Jason,

Yes, that is the strip that pops up on mine also. My nephew works at a toyota dealership in another city, and he told me to spread open the metal clip that the strip snaps onto a bit, and then use some good emblem adhesive as well. Going to do that when warm weather gets here. On the sunglasses, I have just regular ones. When we have trouble is when you are wearing the sunglasses and the sun is shining in thru the side window on the dash. On my CE, this is not a problem, on he LE my wife and I both can't read the gages very well, if at all, especially the outdoor temp number.

And for NMGeorge, I am transplanted from upper Michigan and am more of a Vikings fan.......lots of fun living here, let me tell you!

Steve
#15 Old 03-10-2009, 05:36 AM
Offcial TN Newbie

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz63 View Post
What is the difference between the CE, LE and S Corolla? What is a "B" package. Are split rear seats standard across all GEN9 Corollas? Is cruise control a separate option or part of a package?
here is 2008 model eBrochure, this should answer you what is difference on those models

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cnnyuv...8corolla_e.pdf

2011 RAV4 I4 LTD with leather package. Used have 9th Gen Corolla with 2nd Gen Altis Tail, 2nd Gen Halo Projector, 17" Enkei RS Evolution, NEXEN N5000, AEM SRI, Vibrant Performance Muffler,Tein H-Tech
Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)