What The Hell Keep Getting Shocked Of Car - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)

9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View jonjoe's Photo Gallery
European Union What The Hell Keep Getting Shocked Of Car

since this morning i keep getting shocked off my car any time i get in or out and so does my wife on her side aswell it all over the car does any one know whats up that its freaking me out it must of happened about 20 times today... the only thing i did to the car this morning was clean the pollen filter just shaked it off and put it back in nothing else does any one know what would cause this it never happened before..everyone is getting shocked not just me the kids aswell and wife
jonjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Vivir el momento

Gameroom cash: $1856447
Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,508 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
View PhatRoyale's Photo Gallery
It usually happens to me as well in the winter as well when the air outside is dry.
you should look into getting an electronic air ionizer for the interior of the car and use it in conjunction with an anti static spray like Static Guard for the carpets and seats.
PhatRoyale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View Sean 06 Corolla S's Photo Gallery
it only happened to me one time just this winter. But never since. I've seen those static strips you see some people with them hanging off the rear bumper of their car.
Sean 06 Corolla S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View Canibe's Photo Gallery
they don't work

i tried those ground straps on my 2005 toyota corolla ce se and even ground the paint down to the steel and it didn't do a thing. don't waste your money.
Canibe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View adrianm413's Photo Gallery
metal objects tend to generate static electricity when friction occurs. you feel a shock when the electricity tries to ground itself to you. Don't freak out its normal.. maybe your kids are rubbing the carpet with their feet alot or something to create excess static
adrianm413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View maksst's Photo Gallery
USA

Every time you slide in to your seat you will acquire static electricity, and thus your body will become charged with e-. Now when the air outside is humid, the water in the air quickly neutralizes your body's charge when you are in contact with the outside air. When the air is dry (usually during winter), there is no water, so your body stays charged, so when you touch a metal object, the electrons from your body will jump to the metal and thus shock you. This is completely normal. Now, to avoid getting shocked, do this. Before stepping out of the car, open the door and grab the roof with your hand, then proceed to exit with your hand on the roof. When you are completely out of the car, you can remove your hand and touch the car again and it wont shock you, because all electrons have already transferred to the metal.

One thing to keep in mind. Whenever you are at the gas station, make sure you are neutralized before you touch the pump, otherwise the spark can create fire.
maksst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View ladyofluck's Photo Gallery
well, what I do against the static is that i "tap" the car before it zaps me.

like after you exit the car and trying to close the door, you would get zapped by static. And I find statics to zap most effectively when you are just few millimeters away from the conductive stuff(like between your hands and the car's body)

So, if you give it a good "tap", or "smack" to the car, and not fearing the static, it does not really "ZAP" you. You still can feel the static but it's so minor It doesn't bother me.

I dont' know why, but maybe your brain can't digest both zap and touch of an object at same time. Or maybe static has to do with distance of conductors or is just not as fast as electricity....

But all i know is that I give a gentle "tap" on the car handle/door after I exit the car, and I don't complain of static that way.

you just need to come in contact with the door with faster speed. So you can touch the door with quicker speed and push close it. Doesn't necessarily have to "slap"/"tap" the door.
~~~~~~~~~

lol, i never shared this with anyone else before so please do tell me what you think if you ever tried it. : )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and i thought those rubber strips work.... so they don't work AT ALL?
ladyofluck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Gameroom cash: $1156950
View Bitter's Photo Gallery
try wearing more cotton and less polyester/nylon.
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)