2004 toyota matrix radio help - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)

9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View ak47basketball's Photo Gallery
2004 toyota matrix radio help

Hello, i own a toyota matrix and i need to know if i can do the following. I busted my antenna off the roof of my car and i need to replace it. now to do this i need to take the radio out of its "case" to get to the wires. i know how to do this, but my question is if i just take out the radio and unplug only the antenna cable will the radio lock up? i don't have a security code so i can't have it lock up.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
ak47basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gearhead

Gameroom cash: $302665
View fishexpo101's Photo Gallery
What part did you bust the whole thing off the roof, or just the aerial portion (flexible part, antenna pole) or does it unclude the whole base? Are you planning to replace it with the same type or go with a different unit?

The part that sits on the roof is actually connected to an amplifier - so the antenna coaxial cable doesn't run as a single line from the roof mount to the headunit. There is also a break in the cable right under the passenger side interior A-pillar garnish (there is a connection point under it). There is another break on the passenger side rear most sail panel as well - close to the roofline.

If the base is damaged - you should be able to just peel off the headliner underneath the antenna and the interior roof garnish, remove just the base (bottom nut and two claw clips), pull the cabling off of a couple of clips, and disconnect by that sail panel/window. The tough part is having to peel off the headliner, as you have to remove the dome lamps, interior pull handles, front visors, A-pillar ganish, rear sail panel roof ganish, etc. After that - just two clips in the rear hold up that headliner.
2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited, 2.5L 2AR-FE Dual VVT-i
fishexpo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

hello the part i broke off is just the antenna part not the base. so i plan on getting the same antenna type from auto zone. so if i were to detach the cable from the back of the radio would that allow me to thread the antenna back through the roof? and also by disconnecting the antenna wire would this cause the radio to lock up?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gearhead

No, that cable is tied, clipped, and taped almost its entire length (it is a multi-part cable, not a single coaxial cable run). If you want to feed the antenna cable from the back of the radio through the roof - you have to pull all the upper trim on the passenger side and the headliner itself. A pretty decent undertaking. Disconnecting the antenna lead will not lock up the radio - but you won't be able to find any stations either (FM only, AM might be OK).

If just the antenna (flexible portion) broke off - you can unscrew that part by itself and replace just that. The antenna screws in to the base - if there is enough material there - just give it a turn and see if it comes off.

If you are looking to replace the whole works (antenna, base, and wiring) - you'll have to pull all the stuff mentioend above.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

hello guys again

i have another question that could be my most important. anyway the question is could i do some jerry rig. in which would allow me to get good reception and things like that. i'm not into the pretty factor just want something that would work temporarily until the weather get warmer to where i can do the full job then. any suggestions would be great. again if you look at the pictures and then determine if you have any ideas that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks so much

ak47
Old 12-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

http://tinypic.com/m/6ntveo/1

here is the link
Old 12-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gearhead

Hmm. If you can see the inside threads there - you might be able to use a screw extractor and unscrew the inner portion of the antenna. Looks like it broke, right where the aerial screws into the base. Have to be a littler careful of how you approach this, the old way of shoving in a chunk of metal doesn't really apply, since the base of the antenna has an amplifer in there. If you damaged the amplifer, then no aerial you put up there will work right.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

right i believe that is correct. so this is my ultimate question. do i have to have a "amplified" antenna or will just a universal one do?and second how do i get to the amplifier to replace the whole thing? These are really my only two questions.

Thanks for your continued help
ak47basketball
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)