Need help - 04 corolla cold weather check engine light - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-11-2009, 07:27 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Need help - 04 corolla cold weather check engine light

I've got an 04 automatic corolla and i get a check engine light when it gets cold outside. It started two winters ago - code was front o2 sensor - replaced sensor, cleared code and it came back a day or two later. Code goes away when it warms up (no code at all in summer) or when i go on long trips with it.

Also, i just changed the air filter monday, the code went away for a few days and now is back. This is very odd - anyone have any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What is the code number? Could be a leaky intake manifold gasket.
#3 Old 12-12-2009, 11:30 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I dont remember what the exact code number was - i havent checked it again this year - i am assuming its the same one as before
#4 Old 12-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Senior TN Member

Autozone and advance auto check it for free.
#5 Old 12-14-2009, 07:03 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikered30 View Post
I second the gasket. A fairly common problem that shows itself when the outside temps get cold.

2005 Corolla LE - AT - 1ZZFE - 118,000 mi
1997 Tacoma - 2WD - 4CYL - 82,000 mi
#6 Old 12-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Account deleted upon request

when I hear something like code said o2 sensor. I instantly chuckle. in some cars there are around 14 o2 codes. some tend to mean the sensor is bad but most are telling you something else is bad. you need to be specific , "diagnoses then replace"
#7 Old 12-14-2009, 09:37 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodyg View Post
when I hear something like code said o2 sensor. I instantly chuckle. in some cars there are around 14 o2 codes. some tend to mean the sensor is bad but most are telling you something else is bad. you need to be specific , "diagnoses then replace"
Thanks for all your wisdom!

If you read the post you will see that the original code happened 2 years ago - at the time I was specific - I knew the exact code, what it meant and replaced the part it said was at fault. Since then I have checked the code numerous times and it is always the same one. Now I don't remember exactly what it was because the last time I checked it was last winter.

I am mechanically inclined - if it was something that was easy I wouldn't have posted here.

Thanks to those who have posted actual help on the subject - I will check into that manifold and when i finally get the code read again, I will post that up as well.
#8 Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
that was the first Post you got

I was not trying to be a wiseguy just to get you to understand. Do what you want but if your goal is to solve the problem you have to be specific. You should have a profile similar to mine so "the peeps" know as much about your car as possible. "The peeps" will know if you are doing your part to try an solve the issue... the more effort you put into the more others will try and help you.......
#9 Old 12-14-2009, 10:19 AM

when you say code goes away after a few days. Do you mean the cel goes off? or are you reading the codes often and erasing them?.
With the limited info we have I agree it could be a vacuum leak. spray carb cleaner all around ( with engine running) if the idle changes you have found a leak. this is not a foolproof method for checking for a leak but it is cheap and easy and works most of the time

Last edited by Woodyg; 12-14-2009 at 10:24 AM.
#10 Old 12-14-2009, 10:26 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
no, the light goes away on its own. I haven't used a code reader on it at all this year and stopped bothering a good portion into the year last year when it was repeatedly the same code. When the CEL went away for the summer - it went away on its own. I didn't check for a code once the light was gone (maybe i should have just to see if it was still present)
#11 Old 12-14-2009, 10:36 AM

You can get a code reader at Costcos for $35.. If you get them read again post them and we will try and help. Even if the light is off the codes will most likely still be in there. remember a flashing cel means you can damage your cat. So you don't want to be driving all around with a flashing cel. and it really does help when you have a detailed profile of your vehicle and a genral location of where you live( it helps knowing what the weather is like....

vocab) cel=check engine light, code= actual code#,
example- my cel was on. I got it read at autozone and it threw code
# P0134( dead o2 sensor)
#12 Old 12-14-2009, 01:20 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Well the CEL went off again today at lunch - had been on since last Thursday or so - only thing I did this morning (before leaving for work) was add washer fluid - light was on all the way to work (20miles - about 1hr 20mins today due to the snow) - then at lunch it was gone.

BTW I live in st paul mn so its very cold here. 2004 Corolla S - automatic just turned 100k
#13 Old 12-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Senior TN Member

We can speculate what it is, but when the CEL comes back on, get it checked. The code will be P0171 or P0133 and the fix will be a newly designed intake manifold gasket.
#14 Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
We can speculate what it is, but when the CEL comes back on, get it checked. The code will be P0171 or P0133 and the fix will be a newly designed intake manifold gasket.
Thanks! P0133 sounds familiar. I will check it next time and if it is one of those codes i will know what to do.

Last edited by WhiteLS3; 12-14-2009 at 07:39 PM.
#15 Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Dos Land

Just need confirmation

Hi everyone, I'm resurrecting some old threads today to try to get to the bottom of my new check engine light issue on a 2004 corolla LE. The check engine light came on for the first time ever yesterday evening (we're up over 85k miles), while I was sitting in the car as it idled quietly. The weather has been pretty cold the last couple days (highs in the low 20s F or lower), so when I googled "check engine light 2004 corolla cold weather," it brought me to a number of toyotanation strings. I have gone through as many as I could to try to find someone with my exact set of conditions, but I'm still waiting to get to a parts store to have the diagnostics read (the condition came upon me after the stores were closed, and I'm not sure they open at 7am these day).

I'm guessing that the eventual solution will be to replace the intake manifold gasket, but I'll have to await the codes (expecting P0171, I suppose). So I have a couple questions. If I do get the code P0171, how likely is cleaning the MAF sensor to solve the problem? This appears to be the easiest solution to my problem, which is a check engine light. Otherwise, the car runs fine, gets great gas mileage, and never does anything to give the impression that anything is wrong (it revs pretty high when it starts up in cold weather, but I've never owned a car that didn't). Assuming that I clean the MAF sensor and this has no effect on the check engine light/diagnostics, then I'll have to try replacing the manifold intake gasket. In that case, can I take whatever gasket autozone or advance has on hand, or should I order a Toyota gasket, assuming they don't have one at the local shops? Does the brand matter so very much? I'm an impatient person, after all. Finally, how important is it to replace the throttle body gasket at the same time? Should that be automatic, or will it depend on a visual inspection of the old gasket/fittings?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)