Regarding TSB: EG026-04 and P0420 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)

9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View ruckerz's Photo Gallery
Regarding TSB: EG026-04 and P0420

Hi all

I got the dreaded P0420 CEL and replaced the catalytic converter.

I'm confused about the TSB, and whether or not my ECU needs to be reprogrammed. The P/N of the ECU is Denso 89666-02133. Though the CEL is no longer illuminated with the new catalytic converter I'm concerned on reports online that the problem is really a software issue (i.e. ECU), and that it's only a matter of time before the ECU ruins this converter .

Thanks

FR
ruckerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gearhead

Gameroom cash: $304265
View fishexpo101's Photo Gallery
Would need to know the model year and engine for your Matrix. You have another post that seems to point to a Matrix XRS - in that case, this TSB will not apply.
2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited, 2.5L 2AR-FE Dual VVT-i
fishexpo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishexpo101 View Post
Would need to know the model year and engine for your Matrix. You have another post that seems to point to a Matrix XRS - in that case, this TSB will not apply.
Thanks for the reply.

It's a 2003 Matrix, 1zz-FE
Old 01-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gearhead

OK, got it. The ECM reprogramming was only needed if the initial parameters found were out of date. Not all 2003-2004 Corolla/Matrix/Vibe needed the reprogramming when they got the P0420 - those had the faulty catalytic converters only.

If you are really concerned - you can always take it in and ask them to preform the TSB check. Note that this is a TSB, not a recall - so you would pay out of pocket for this work to be done.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishexpo101 View Post
OK, got it. The ECM reprogramming was only needed if the initial parameters found were out of date. Not all 2003-2004 Corolla/Matrix/Vibe needed the reprogramming when they got the P0420 - those had the faulty catalytic converters only.

If you are really concerned - you can always take it in and ask them to preform the TSB check. Note that this is a TSB, not a recall - so you would pay out of pocket for this work to be done.
I took it to the dealer recently and told them I had replaced the catalytic converter and as per the TSB, the ECM might need a reprogram. They gave it a shot but came back to me with 'The ECM wouldn't take the reprogramming, you need to replace the ECM ($1500)'. The TSB mentions specifically that some ECM's couldn't be reprogrammed but I checked my ECM's P/N against the ones listed in the TSB and my ECM was not one of those that couldn't be reprogrammed. They still charged me a $58 diagnostic fee. Sigh.

P.S. P0420 came up at 130k miles, do catalytic converters usually fail at this mileage?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gearhead

They can fail at that mileage - depends on many factors. One thing for sure, is that all catalytic converters have a finite lifespan. Some can run over 200K miles, some die at less than 60K miles. Most owners that replaced them were around the 100K-120K mileage mark. I found that aftermarket cats tend to fail on the lower mileage, some have reported replacing them at 45K-60K miles. OEM would be worth the difference in money, many can be priced online much cheaper than the dealership - some have reported getting an OEM (Cali-spec) listing for around $1500 for $375 (75% off list).

Yeah, kind of unusual that the ECM could not take the program, but not completely out of the question. Toyota ECMs have always been a little tough to crack into, programming wise. Mostly, that reprogramming was for the early "sulfur farts" that the early Corolla/Matrix had - a sided-effect of that reprogramming was a novel hardening for a P0420 CEL, as the it is not as "sensitive" to a particular threshold as before. Compared to an 8th gen Corolla which throughs a P0420 almost constantly, the 9th gen Corolla/Matrix almost never throws a P0420.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View ellietoy's Photo Gallery
Another ECM Cat Converter question--same as...

Hello,

I recently posted a new post about my 2004 Matrix's troubles, so you can find that one, if I leave something out here, but I just read this thread to try to educate myself.

There was a code read on my car saying it was likely it needed a new cat converter and the service advisor also mentioned that the ECM would need reprogramming, but they would look into it first. They looked over the car, then said--yup, needs a cat converter. I said what about the "programming thing"-- and they said, huh, what, no, no recalls on your car, so nothing like that.

My car's engine is the same type as mentioned in this thread--1ZZ-FE. THe cat converter has failed at 70 K miles. (It is a low mileage used car.) The oxygen sensor had also thrown a code and they "cleaned it."

See my other post for more details, but my Matrix is in a "guarranteed" program for the next 8-9 months, so I need them to get to the bottom of this--is there a chance that reprogramming is a waste, and it just needs a new ECM?

I do not really understand too much about such things, so please be patient and help if you see faulty logic in my questions. Thanks.
ellietoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View jaimenv's Photo Gallery
Try the 5 dollar defouler fix.

You guys may not need to replace the cat converter unless it is clogged to the point it will hamper performance as in running really sluggish on acceleration.

Also the only way the cat gets damaged is for the engine to run really rich and this would be detected by the upstream O2 sensor triggering a code.

Oh yea I almost forgot to mention that if your car has the disappearing engine oil problem, this could be the cause of the 0240 code due to the sensor getting clogged with the oil residue.

There is the possibility of other problems like spark plugs and wires, mass air flow sensor, or just a bad batch of fuel.

By moving the downstream O2 sensor away from the exhaust flow you will fool the computer in to thinking the cat is OK or in the case of a performace exhaust (no cat) it will think the cat is there.

The downstream O2 sensor is just a way of making sure that the cat is never removed (my opinion), since the upstream O2 does all the fuel mixture readings for the computer to do the needed calculations to insure proper mixture.

your cat could be only 10% clogged and still work fine, yet the computer program triggers a code due to a low criteria set in the software.

Just chipping in something that may take care of the problem and save you time and money.
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)