Noise after replacing rear brake shoes and drums...help! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)

9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View CorollaSD's Photo Gallery
Question Noise after replacing rear brake shoes and drums...help!

Regarding a 2004 Toyota Corolla: This is my first time using TN and need some help/suggestions with a knocking/ticking noise coming from both rear wheels after replacing with new drums/shoes. The noise becomes louder as well as faster when additional pressure is applied to the brake. Made sure the shoes were sitting correctly, that the springs are not touching other parts, that the wheels are secured tightly. Have also tried tightening and loosening the shoe width (so the drum either fits more loosely or more snug around the shoes). Has anyone had this issue? I did not replace the springs (as one toyota manual had suggested). Could this be the issue? Not sure what could be causing this.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.
CorollaSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
03' corolla 02' tundra

View alligatorgar's Photo Gallery
Check to make sure you have the correct drums. Have the drums turned to make sure they are true (completely round). Change out the springs with new ones. I used orieilys springs kit pt # hdw17373 for my 03 corolla.
Note there is also a rub point that needs a small amount of brake grease. The shoes rub against the rear backer plate and need this grease. Speaking of the backer plate make sure it is not rubbing on the drum.

Last edited by alligatorgar; 01-18-2010 at 08:34 PM.
alligatorgar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alligatorgar For This Useful Post:
CorollaSD (01-19-2010)
Old 01-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

Thank you for the reply! I'm going to order the spring kit and double check the drums. I just assumed I was given the correct ones from the parts store, but shouldn't have "assumed." Will also try the grease on the backer plate and will post if that works.

Surprisingly, while searching the site to see if others had this problem, I came across this (may have to copy and paste into your browser):

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh....php?p=2204004
Old 01-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
03' corolla 02' tundra

I have had issue with new parts quality before. Its a drag to have to redo work because of quality issues. Check to make sure the new drums dont have a longer/thicker drum face that is scraping the back plate.
I wouldnt doubt someone in shipping dropped one of those drums and bent it. Having them turned even when new should catch a bent drum.

Allot of corollas squeak when redoing rear brakes. Check this thread out. Brake noise, squeak

Btw how many miles you have on the corolla now? I changed out my shocks, front bearings at 90,000 miles because of excessive tire wear.
The Following User Says Thank You to alligatorgar For This Useful Post:
CorollaSD (01-20-2010)
Old 01-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View olbus's Photo Gallery
Make sure your drums are machined in far enough. I had this problem on a different vehicle. The edge of the shoe would get grabbed by the edge of the drum and tweak it a little until the spring would pull it back. You could try filing down the outside of the shoes where they are near the drum as well. If you have your old drums/shoes you could have them measured for width and see which is the problem if this is it.

Last edited by olbus; 01-19-2010 at 08:15 PM.
olbus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olbus For This Useful Post:
CJCride (01-19-2010), CorollaSD (01-20-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

Alligatorgar - I currently have just over 100K on my Corolla. Will be working on this issue over the weekend. So frustrating since this will be the 4th time I've had to play around with them but the clicking noise is about to drive me insane! Thanks for the feedback.

Olbus - Great suggestion as well. Regretfully, since this wasn't my first rodeo with brakes, I discarded my old drums/shoes (lesson learned). I'm hoping that I can visually see if this is an issue.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
03' corolla 02' tundra

I had the same problem with the front brakes. I ended up bringing pads back and swapping them out. It solved my squeaking problem. Defective pads.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Gameroom cash: $1233850
View Bitter's Photo Gallery
grease or oil contamination on the brake shoes can cause a sound like that as well.
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View Truckboy's Photo Gallery
Sorry folks, there is no reason why grease would continue to cause a clicking noise in the brakes. Eventually it will evaporate enough to not be present. Usually clicking denotes a hard physical contact between two parts. I just replaced the rear drums and pads on my friends 2003 Corolla. She thought they felt softer than before so I figured I had not bled them enough. So in one week she brought it back for me to work on again and she complained that there was a clicking noise in the brakes.

So I bled the them and made sure everything was still where it should be. After that I took it for a test drive they were much tighter but the right rear was still clicking! I had bought high end quality drums and pads so I did not believe that there was any issues there. What dawned on me was that if the entire unit was not quite centered and set correctly something could be making physical contact and clicking. So my solution was to drive the car backwards pretty fast and stop it a couple of times. Well that fixed it.

Of course we will see if it comes back but compared to a lot of cars that I have worked on these little rear brake drum systems rely on the whole system to be centered correctly between the tire, wheel, drum and backing and pads, and if any of those things are not quite lined up it makes sense that something would be physcially contacting something else which would make a definite clicking sound.
Truckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Truckboy For This Useful Post:
MD1032 (10-03-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Gameroom cash: $1233850
View Bitter's Photo Gallery
Grease or oil contamination does cause clicking sounds. Here's why:
1. It impregnates into the drum braking surface and creates a spot with different physical properties, like a hot spot on a rotor would. In fact the same thing can happen to a brake rotor.
2. It impregnates into the brake shoe lining and does the same thing as it does to the drum. One shoe has a spot that is more slippery than the other shoe, so one shoe grabs harder and will pop on the backing plate instead of them shifting together.

There are compounds in grease which modify friction that do not just evaporate, grease is an emulsion of heavy oils and solids like graphite and molybdenum oxides/sulfides which are high pressure lubricants.
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bitter For This Useful Post:
MD1032 (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View wernerh's Photo Gallery
clicking rear brakes

Make sure your parking brake cable is behind the retainer in the drum other wise the back of the wheel studs will hit the cable. Drove me nuts also. Cost me 2 sets of shoes and hardware till I found the problem.
wernerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

View staton4's Photo Gallery
I have a similar problem. The ticking noise is as I stop... Not while I'm driving. What might that be?
staton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Corolla XRS user

Gameroom cash: $1049900
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
View REN69's Photo Gallery
as my neighbor says, rule of thumb... if you're putting new drum brakes, do you really want the old hardware in there rusting away? buy the new springs and replace it all at once.

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!
REN69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)