Engine revving while idle - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-27-2010, 01:40 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Engine revving while idle

Hi everyone, my Corolla has been acting up lately.
I have an '04 Toyota Corolla Manual transmission.

When I put my car in neutral or when my car is idle, the engine revs up to around 1. But it won't stay at 1 constantly, it'll decrease and increase and I can feel the engine (and along with the car) shaking as it revs up and down.

When I put it into 4th or 5th gear (driving fast), I don't feel it. It's only when I am idle/in neutral that I feel it really strongly.

I have taken it to a car mechanic and the mechanic says he has no idea why. So I am hoping that someone has some ideas.

Thanks, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Is this only when hot or cold or both? Any check engine lights? I suggest cleaning your throttle body and idle air control valve with throttle body cleaner. This can be done with the TB still on the car, but after the car starts and the smoke clears you should change your oil. Also disconnect your battery for 30 minutes. If that doesnt work let us know.
#3 Old 02-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Official TN Member

Also check your intake manifold gasket, they are prone to vacuum leaks in the 9th gen Corollas with the 1zzfe engine.

2005 Corolla LE - AT - 1ZZFE - 118,000 mi
1997 Tacoma - 2WD - 4CYL - 82,000 mi
#4 Old 04-18-2010, 12:16 PM
New TN User

Try leaving your interior fan turned all the way off, see if the problem goes away. The engine will sometimes step up idle when the engines a/c fan kicks in and out, even if you aren't using the a/c.
#5 Old 12-27-2010, 10:08 PM
New TN User

my car has been doing the exact same thing..Almost like an rpm increase when you turn on your a/c, except that its not even on. I only notice it at idle while at stop lights.
#6 Old 12-28-2010, 10:47 AM
New TN User

I have a 2007 CE that does this as well. It only does it when the engine temp is cold and when it is cold outside. I live in wisconsin so it only does it in the winter months and never in the summer. At idle it will rev to about 1500 rpm and then drop to 800 rpm then back up and down etc. It seems to be on about a 1 second up and 1 second down interval. I only does this until the engine is warm then it stops and it only does it at idle never when driving. Any ideas??
#7 Old 12-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer1971 View Post
I have a 2007 CE that does this as well. It only does it when the engine temp is cold and when it is cold outside. I live in wisconsin so it only does it in the winter months and never in the summer. At idle it will rev to about 1500 rpm and then drop to 800 rpm then back up and down etc. It seems to be on about a 1 second up and 1 second down interval. I only does this until the engine is warm then it stops and it only does it at idle never when driving. Any ideas??
Your symptoms are textbook of a bad intake manifold gasket. There is a revised gasket for this problem. The old one gets hard and shrinks.
#8 Old 12-28-2010, 03:39 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikered30 View Post
Your symptoms are textbook of a bad intake manifold gasket. There is a revised gasket for this problem. The old one gets hard and shrinks.
I don't think an intake manifold gasket would only do it when it's cold, nor would it do it for only a second, it would also be a few thousand RPM and more constant.

if you have the HVAC fan on (even if you aren't using A/C) the idle will step up and down to compensate for the vehicle's engine fan coming on and off more frequently. This is usually no more than 100-150 RPM after the engine has reached operating temp.
#9 Old 02-03-2011, 01:00 PM
New TN User

I had a similar problem, the garage cleaned the TB and MAF and now the car runs like a charm, except one odd thing - when I start the car, if I turn the steering wheel slightly the revs go up to 2400 rpm and then come back down to normal (1200 rpm if cold). It seems like this is maybe normal to supply power to the power steering? But it never did it before that I can remember. Could someone confirm if this is normal or not? Thanks!

Katie
#10 Old 02-03-2011, 01:13 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie113 View Post
I had a similar problem, the garage cleaned the TB and MAF and now the car runs like a charm, except one odd thing - when I start the car, if I turn the steering wheel slightly the revs go up to 2400 rpm and then come back down to normal (1200 rpm if cold). It seems like this is maybe normal to supply power to the power steering? But it never did it before that I can remember. Could someone confirm if this is normal or not? Thanks!
Yes, I also get an RPM bump when loading the power steering pump. It seems more pronounced when the engine is cold, but otherwise doesn't interfere with anything. It is normal for carmakers to have systems that increase engines speed based on the load demand. As cars age, these systems may become less 'seamless'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)