04 corolla. Brake pedal vibrates when pressing brake pedal - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
04 corolla. Brake pedal vibrates when pressing brake pedal

I have a 04 Corolla. I machined both front rotors off the car and when I press the brake pedal at 20 mph +, the brake pedal vibrates. I think the off car brake lathe machine cut the rotor unevenly, but i want to make sure that the brake pedal vibrating is caused by the rotor being uneven. Am I right or is there something else wrong?

Cars that I own:
1996 Toyota Camry LE (RIP)
1996 Toyota Corolla DX
2007 Toyota Camry SE
2014 Toyota Corolla S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Official TN Member

Vibrates or pulses along with the speed you're going? Vibrating COULD be ABS erroneously kicking on. More of a pulse in the pedal that corresponds with speed is a warped rotor most likely. It's not worth having these rotors turned/machined. The thinner they get the easier it is to warp them. The price of new rotors is not THAT much more than the time and cash for having them turned.

I have an '05 Corolla with 160,000 miles on it and this thing goes through rotors....I think I put new rotors on a year ago, maybe more, but the pedal is already pulsing when i brake. And 90% of the time they are quiet, but every so often they grind....they will grind coming to a stop....then a few blocks later when coming to a stop there's no grinding.

This weekend it's time to have a look at the brakes....again.

2005 Toyata Corolla LE

Last edited by dblhelx; 03-24-2010 at 07:00 PM.
#3 Old 03-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Well it feels more like the brake pedal is pushing back at me, even though it feels like it is vibrating. Well the thing is, the car did not have this problem until i machined the rotors off the car. I wanted to do it on the car but the machines were not working. I actually had to machine the rotors off the car many times because it would not cut some areas (i think this is where the problem is but not 100% sure). I know for sure that I put everything back correctly. I did not change the pads at all but I did put somewhat a lot of brake grease on the pads because there was a TSB for brake squeak when reversing.

Cars that I own:
1996 Toyota Corolla DX
2007 Toyota Camry SE
2014 Toyota Corolla S
#4 Old 03-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Official TN Member

Sounds like the rotors are warped for sure. They aren't that expensive at Autozone....I forget, but I wanna say like $40.

2005 Toyata Corolla LE
#5 Old 04-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Yep, it was the rotors. Figured out that one side I forgot put the chatter band to prevent the noises when the machine is cutting and made it warped bad.

Cars that I own:
1996 Toyota Corolla DX
2007 Toyota Camry SE
2014 Toyota Corolla S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)