Shaking at idle/reverse - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)

9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $121600
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View KC_YOTA's Photo Gallery
Shaking at idle/reverse

Hello! I am helping out my friend who has a 2004 Corolla. As the title of the post states, the motor of the car seems to shake a lot when at idle in gear. It shakes more than it used to in drive , but reverse is much worse. Seems to run very rough at idle in reverse. Once you get on the gas in drive or reverse, the shaking stops. The car also does not shake at idle when in park or neutral. Car has 80k on it currently.

Local mechanic said that the car has a bad front/side and rear motor mount. Seems plausible since I have read that the motor mounts on these cars are weak. Strange thing is, the car has no issues when under load or acceleration. Just want to get you guys expert opinion before he drops $600 to fix it.

Thank you for the help in advance!

Last edited by KC_YOTA; 07-27-2010 at 03:11 PM.
KC_YOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $976618
View mikered30's Photo Gallery
Observe the engine from the side of the car while it is running, with someone stepping on the gas and brake at the same time while the tranny is in drive. See how that compares to when the car is in park.
mikered30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $121600
View KC_YOTA's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikered30 View Post
Observe the engine from the side of the car while it is running, with someone stepping on the gas and brake at the same time while the tranny is in drive. See how that compares to when the car is in park.
I have already done a motor mount check like you suggest above. There is some additional movement when comparing against the vehicle being in park and revving the motor. I was thinking that there should be some additional movement though. What got me is that there is not a lot of movement, maybe 1/8-1/4inch of movement. Is that still too much?
KC_YOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $976618
View mikered30's Photo Gallery
What is the idle speed in neutral, reverse, and drive with foot on brake?
mikered30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View juicedz's Photo Gallery
You know what. This sounds soooo similar to mine. Shaking at idle/reverse
I've gone through a whole list of different scenerios to try and fix the problem. Warming up it's fine but within a minute it starts to pulsate/vibrate/surge. I've noticed it gets worse in reverse (fully warmed up) when you can feel the surge in power when letting it roll backwards, it's basically spuddering. My rpms are also slightly lower than factory, probably 500-600rpms when in drive/reverse. This is the funny part, as soon as I begin to accelerate the car runs perfect. It only begins to expose the problem when I've nearly come to a stop (lets say 2mph or a split second before idle rpm in first) that I can feel it spudder. Another member on here has had this problem for several years and has still yet to diagnose it. I've taken it to two different shops (one being the Toyota dealer) and neither can diagnose a problem with the car. The thing you need to consider is that bad motor mounts wouldn't have any affect on the performance of the car in reverse. Why does the car run rough? This is the same thing I'm wondering. A smooth/steady vibration is one thing for motor mounts but why does the motor surge/spudder in reverse?

Last edited by juicedz; 08-10-2010 at 04:42 PM.
juicedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $102055
View dorman68's Photo Gallery
Sounds like engine mounts.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View BrianECarter's Photo Gallery
Did anyone ever fix this problem. I have the same problem when I am sitting at a light in Drive or in Reverse the car shakes while idling. If anyone has any insight into this problem please let me know. Thanks in Advance.
BrianECarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianECarter View Post
Did anyone ever fix this problem. I have the same problem when I am sitting at a light in Drive or in Reverse the car shakes while idling. If anyone has any insight into this problem please let me know. Thanks in Advance.
Well, I took it back to the dealer a second time a few months back and they stated that the passenger side motor mount was weak. I have yet to replace it yet to see if it solves the problem but just wanted to report back on new information. Most of the similar problems I've read on here appear to be intake leaks, dirty idle air control valve sensor, or dirty throttle body. Hopefully, yours is one of the last two because I think the mounts are pretty pricey. FYI too, one of the rep.'s @ the Toyota dealership stated that this generation motor is notorious for running "rougher". Honestly though, besides this problem the car has been pretty great for reliability in the last 10k miles I've driven it!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Ohiowa's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz View Post
You know what. This sounds soooo similar to mine. Shaking at idle/reverse
I've gone through a whole list of different scenerios to try and fix the problem. Warming up it's fine but within a minute it starts to pulsate/vibrate/surge. I've noticed it gets worse in reverse (fully warmed up) when you can feel the surge in power when letting it roll backwards, it's basically spuddering. My rpms are also slightly lower than factory, probably 500-600rpms when in drive/reverse. This is the funny part, as soon as I begin to accelerate the car runs perfect. It only begins to expose the problem when I've nearly come to a stop (lets say 2mph or a split second before idle rpm in first) that I can feel it spudder. Another member on here has had this problem for several years and has still yet to diagnose it. I've taken it to two different shops (one being the Toyota dealer) and neither can diagnose a problem with the car. The thing you need to consider is that bad motor mounts wouldn't have any affect on the performance of the car in reverse. Why does the car run rough? This is the same thing I'm wondering. A smooth/steady vibration is one thing for motor mounts but why does the motor surge/spudder in reverse?
I never tested this in reverse, but I once had what I would call severe rough engine idle at traffic stops and completely solved it by replacing the intake manifold gasket.

Just my two cents.
2003 Toyota Corolla LE
Ohiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiowa View Post
I never tested this in reverse, but I once had what I would call severe rough engine idle at traffic stops and completely solved it by replacing the intake manifold gasket.
Just my two cents.
Did you spray carb cleaner around the manifold to see if it improved idle at all before replacing? Just curious because I've done this test several times and there is no improvement in my low idle. When I leave the AC on and coast up to lights it seems to disipate the problem somewhat by bringing the rpms up a few hundred but this doesn't always work. I feel it's unrelated but something I do to ignore the problem
Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View gingn's Photo Gallery
I have the same problem. 03 corolla le shakes at idle. Any ideas? Im at a loss.
gingn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Well, I'm swapping out the intake gasket & front/pass. motor mounts. If that doesn't fix the problem than I'm selling this car.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

View gingn's Photo Gallery
I changed my intake manifold today and it is still vibrating.
gingn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingn View Post
I changed my intake manifold today and it is still vibrating.
Yea, it's frustrating to have to throw parts & money at a car only to have it not fix the problem. At least the intake gasket is a cheap part. The last place I took the car to was going to swap in a new trans mount but the owner said it would only be a band aid because the problem is lying somewhere else. He said it was as if the engine had an imbalance and that I should take it to Toyota. Funny because Toyota said it was a result of a week passenger side motor mount. My sister has a 2005 corolla le with a 5 speed and hers seems to run weird at idle too but doesn't vibrate nearly as bad. However, mine has 113k miles to her 55k miles. What sucks is the mounts are very expensive $115-$200 a piece depending on which one you're ordering.

Last edited by juicedz; 12-23-2011 at 06:07 PM.
juicedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Gameroom cash: $1656001
Supreme Member
View zythr's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz View Post
Yea, it's frustrating to have to throw parts & money at a car only to have it not fix the problem. At least the intake gasket is a cheap part. The last place I took the car to was going to swap in a new trans mount but the owner said it would only be a band aid because the problem is lying somewhere else. He said it was as if the engine had an imbalance and that I should take it to Toyota. Funny because Toyota said it was a result of a week passenger side motor mount. My sister has a 2005 corolla le with a 5 speed and hers seems to run weird at idle too but doesn't vibrate nearly as bad. However, mine has 113k miles to her 55k miles. What sucks is the mounts are very expensive $115-$200 a piece depending on which one you're ordering.

..are you going to fix and then sell the car?
zythr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)