2003 Corolla AC Relay Problem - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-23-2010, 12:55 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2003 Corolla AC Relay Problem

So, my AC in my 2003 Corolla started working intermittently and then not at all. I put the HORN relay in (just as a test for a few days) where the AC relay goes and everything worked great.

I purchased a new RELAY from Autozone and put it in and the AC worked fine for a while and then not at all. I then purchased a second RELAY from another company and now the AC takes about 10 minutes for it to kick in almost every time I start the car. It seems the cheaper relays that aren't genuine Toyota don't work reliably. Maybe I need to dish out $75 for the Toyota one??

Like I said, when I use the one for the horn it works perfectly all the time. What gives??
The Following User Says Thank You to Compaq For This Useful Post:
neilhugs (09-05-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 AM
New TN User

Why don't you use the HORN relay for the AC and buy a cheap one to use on the HORN... Think this should work!
#3 Old 02-20-2011, 07:36 PM
New TN User

AC issue

I'm sure you have already gotten your problem fixed but I will tell you how my experience went just in case. It seems we have had the same problem. My AC would not work at all. I checked the fuse beneath the dash, nothing. I checked the relay and it was that. I tried to get one from Pep Boys and they had to order it. Since I am impatient I went to Toyota and it was listed there for about $10 more. I was kind of hesitant while at the parts window and she looked up my account (how much I've spent at Toyota) and she gave it to me for what Pep Boys was charging. Nice ehh!!! I put it in and the problem was solved, or so I thought. Up until this point I really have not had to sit in traffic for very long but my temp gauge started to increase this last summer. I didn't know what to do and when I sat, the AC would stop too even with the new relay. I found out the fan wasn't working. I am a tinkerer and everyone told me to check this and check that. I tried and got frusterated so I made sure the fan would work when it got electricity (it did) and I hot wired the thing and put a switch on the dash. It's an '03 and it almost has 200K on it (I'm not going for looks, going to run it until I can't fix it anymore) so it's ok. Hope this helps because I know I like having my AC back!!!!
#4 Old 02-26-2011, 07:30 PM
New TN User

i think i have the same problem when i turn on the car the a/c wont work or intermittently(knowing compressor only kicks in every 10 20sec) i check for preassure and it was fine now im thinking its electrical because when i shut it off and turn it back on it works..now i also did a small test i didnt see the compressor kicking in while a/c was on so i unplug the highside switch wait 10sec and plug it back in and started working agian now wheres the relay for the a/c i was wondring cuz i cant find it ..lol
#5 Old 02-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is in the fuse box under the hood, labeled M/G CLT. Swap it with the horn relay.
#6 Old 05-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Steve H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikered30 View Post
It is in the fuse box under the hood, labeled M/G CLT. Swap it with the horn relay.
That sounds exactly like my problem on my 04. The AC went intermittent for a few weeks, then died completely. The MG/CLT relay has oil all over it.

My question is: Where is the Horn Relay?
#7 Old 05-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemphill View Post
That sounds exactly like my problem on my 04. The AC went intermittent for a few weeks, then died completely. The MG/CLT relay has oil all over it.

My question is: Where is the Horn Relay?

There is a diagram under the fuse box relay cover that shows the location.

It is number 9 here:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...elocations.jpg
#8 Old 05-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Steve H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikered30 View Post
There is a diagram under the fuse box relay cover that shows the location.

It is number 9 here:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...elocations.jpg
Yep - it was just dirty and I couldn't read it. That worked! So if the horn relay is cheaper, does that mean it's not rated for a long duty cycle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)