2004 Corolla L4-1.8L (1ZZ-FE) - Rough Idle after Battery Change - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-03-2010, 06:40 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2004 Corolla L4-1.8L (1ZZ-FE) - Rough Idle after Battery Change

Hello - I've been reading through this forum to help me with a problem that just came up with my 2004 Toyota Corolla L4-1.8L (1ZZ-FE) with an automatic transmission.

About two weeks ago I was driving the car out of town and pulled over to connect my GPS (I turned the car off). When I tried to restart the car it went completely dead (note that I still had the original battery). I jump started the car and went to a local auto store and had a new battery put in. They also tested the alternator and assured me that it was fine. Almost immediately I noticed that the car shook/shuddered when coming to a stop and idled extremely low and acted as if it wanted to stall (although it never did). Of course, I didn't want to go any further on my trip and headed back home. The next morning I took the car to my trusted mechanic of over 10 years. He checked the alternator and checked for codes (although no check engine light ever came on) and placed the car under full load conditions. The car checked out fine. My mechanic said that the computer probably just needed to relearn the proper idle (as the dead battery wiped out the previous settings) and he suggested I drive it for a few more days before I bring it back.

Needless to say it didn't work. I returned it to him and he looked at everything under the sun and swears that at least mechanically the car seems fine. He did admit that the idle seemed a little low and he suggested that I go back to the dealer and indicated that perhaps Toyota's computers may find something where he couldn't.

Iíve read where changing the battery may affect a carís idle and have since disconnected the battery terminals (both) and reconnected them after 30 minutes. Iíve then let the car idle on itís own for about another 10. The car seems better (meaning the above conditions donít happen as often) but the fact of the matter is the rough idle still exists.

Iím beginning to think that this is more than just a battery replacement issue. Any idea what I should look for before I take it back to the dealer? This car runs fine outside of the above issue and only has 38,000 miles on it. I'd hate to give it up.

What simple things should I inspect before making an appointment?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-04-2010, 05:43 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
try and clean the MAF sensor for one, also you can do a little test to see of your intake manifold gasket is leaking. get some carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner, something flammable and in an aerosol can, and spray it all around where the intake manifold meets the cylinder head, if the idle suddenly gets better then you most likely have a leaking gasket.

what likely happened was that your MAF was reading slightly off or your intake manifold gasket was leaking but the ECU had adjusted fuel trims to make up for it so it would run fine, that is up until the battery went dead and the ECU "forgot" the fuel trims and now has a rough idle.

good luck.

ó2005 Silver Streak LE 6speed (swapped)
[Injen][JP][Vibrant][Protege Garage][Power Enterprise][Eibach] [Progress][Energy Suspension][TWM][Exedy]

Last edited by TrdSpeed140; 09-04-2010 at 05:46 AM.
#3 Old 09-04-2010, 10:02 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks TrdSpeed 140. I will try what you recommend (it makes perfect sense) and update the board as soon as I can. The more reading I do on the Corolla the more I find out about problems with dirty or bad MAF's.

I guess it could be worse.
#4 Old 09-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Official TN Member

yea, the intake manifold gasket has also been discussed a bit on the forums as well

[Injen][JP][Vibrant][Protege Garage][Power Enterprise][Eibach] [Progress][Energy Suspension][TWM][Exedy]
#5 Old 09-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Official TN Member

I changed my battery about an hour ago and I have the exact same thing happening. It idles for crap but runs good once you get going. I keep coming accross something where the computer has to "relearn" your driving habits. I'll give it a few days before I take it to the dealer. If you do find anything out, please post it and I'll do the same. I really doubt a host of sensors went bad because I changed the battery.
#6 Old 09-11-2010, 10:55 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsdad View Post
I changed my battery about an hour ago and I have the exact same thing happening. It idles for crap but runs good once you get going. I keep coming accross something where the computer has to "relearn" your driving habits. I'll give it a few days before I take it to the dealer. If you do find anything out, please post it and I'll do the same. I really doubt a host of sensors went bad because I changed the battery.
I have an appointment on Monday with the dealer so hopefully (fingers crossed), I'll have a resolution to this sometime soon.

I'm actually hoping it's something minor (bad intake manifold gasket) because if this is limited to some sort of "relearn" procedure...let's just say I've purchased my last Toyota.

I'll post the outcome next week. Thanks and good luck.
#7 Old 09-11-2010, 03:01 PM
New TN User

subscribing to this because I need a new batt soon. Was your car included in the ECM recall?
#8 Old 09-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Official TN Member

Well, I don't know what I did but it's all better now. I drove it around a bit and the stalling went away. Now it runs like it did before...only starts better. Hope you get your vehicle issue resolved.
#9 Old 09-11-2010, 07:19 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvictuSRT8 View Post
subscribing to this because I need a new batt soon. Was your car included in the ECM recall?
Nope. The recall was for 2005-2008 Corolla/Matrix owners.
#10 Old 09-11-2010, 07:26 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsdad View Post
Well, I don't know what I did but it's all better now. I drove it around a bit and the stalling went away. Now it runs like it did before...only starts better. Hope you get your vehicle issue resolved.
Glad to hear it devin!

I'm pretty sure my problem is something other than the battery switch. TrdSpeed140's assessment makes sense to me and given that TSB04507 calls for the replacement of the intake manifold gasket (which may cause some rev hunting and rough idle), it leads me to believe that this is a common problem in these cars (and I think this is more than likely my issue).

Will post my answer on the board as soon as I find out.
#11 Old 09-16-2010, 04:58 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Just an update - I had the car at the dealer for 3-days. They tested everything which included upating the ECM and looking for leaks. They also cleaned out the throttle body and connected the car to their computer (which apparently lets them look deeper into the ECM then a standard mechanic's scanner). The car was tested under load conditions and non-load conditons as well as local driving and highway driving.

The results?

The dealership acknowledges that the rpm's at idle are somewhat low but still fall within the toyota corolla spec limits. They are a little perplexed as to what the problem might be and don't want to swap out pieces blindly without fully identifying the nature of the problem.

My result?

The car is somewhat better but it's still noticible. I suppose I'll drive it as is for now and monitor it.

I'm a little disappointed at the quality of the car. However, the service manager was great though - he even conceded that [in his opinion], corolla engines now have a tendency to get rougher with age but that it usually occurs somewhere in the 60,000 mile range and not at 39,000.

Hope this info helps those who have a similar problem.
#12 Old 09-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Official TN Member

that dealership sounds like it has some pretty good techs, they're actually trying to diagnose it instead of just throwing parts/money (your money) at it like some do.

#13 Old 09-20-2010, 06:12 AM
Official TN Member

well i dont think were going to get any answers from Toyota they dont seem to know what causes the low idle mine did started after a full service and plug change so idd say my battery would have been disconnected for a while as well so maybe it could be the ECM acting up and not been pick up by diagnostics.has any one on here ever changed the iacv just wondering and if so did it fix the idle problem low idle that is...
#14 Old 10-03-2010, 10:19 PM
EdW
Official TN Member

Disconnected the batt today on our 2005 Corolla as the CD player was giving the dreaded "Error 3" message. Ended up fixing that problem after significant disassy of the unit and "manual" extraction of the CD's, but upon reconnecting the battery, car is now idling very rough. Disappointing. Drove the car about 45 miles tonight, mostly highway, still rough. Not getting a good feeling about this... Anyone have any updates/insights?
#15 Old 10-12-2010, 05:45 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdW View Post
Disconnected the batt today on our 2005 Corolla as the CD player was giving the dreaded "Error 3" message. Ended up fixing that problem after significant disassy of the unit and "manual" extraction of the CD's, but upon reconnecting the battery, car is now idling very rough. Disappointing. Drove the car about 45 miles tonight, mostly highway, still rough. Not getting a good feeling about this... Anyone have any updates/insights?
I recently disconnected the battery on our 2006 LE due to some transmission issues. The car did idle rough due to a low idle speed for about a day. The problem has since disappeared. I think, at least sometimes, this is some learning algorithm somewhere starting out from scratch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)