P0420 code, have 2zzge egine, recommened replacement? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-11-2010, 09:52 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
P0420 code, have 2zzge egine, recommened replacement?

I have a 03 Matrix xrs, engine type 2ZZGE. I recently went to get my car inspected at VIP (fyi..I live in NH) and it failed because of code P0420. I'm being told that I need a new catalytic converter. According to my engine sticker info my model passes both US EPA and California emissions standards, which seems to make a difference when searching for the right part online.

After reading through several posts/strings, I'm getting worried that fixing this won't solve my problem. I do know that if I do need to replace the cat/cov that it's problably best to stay away from the aftermarket parts.

Any thoughts...and further...any recommendations on a suitable replacement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
How many miles do you have?
#3 Old 10-12-2010, 07:38 AM
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE

iTrader Score: 13 reviews
PM sent for some infomration. As far as replacement, if you don't go OEM, you'll have to check around or ask the members what they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtrix03xrsvirgin View Post
I have a 03 Matrix xrs, engine type 2ZZGE. I recently went to get my car inspected at VIP (fyi..I live in NH) and it failed because of code P0420. I'm being told that I need a new catalytic converter. According to my engine sticker info my model passes both US EPA and California emissions standards, which seems to make a difference when searching for the right part online.

After reading through several posts/strings, I'm getting worried that fixing this won't solve my problem. I do know that if I do need to replace the cat/cov that it's problably best to stay away from the aftermarket parts.

Any thoughts...and further...any recommendations on a suitable replacement?

Gary Smith-Parts Manager
garys@toyotaofnewnan.com
www.ToyotaofNewnan.com
678-854-9601
#4 Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
229k miles
#5 Old 11-27-2010, 10:18 AM
New TN User

Canada P0420 vs over 10% Ethanol gasoline

Hi!!

I've been reading A LOT on this P0420 problem and found out a few good thing you might like to know!!!

I lot of people have the same problem that we do, some changed everything related to emission system. Cats, o2 sensors, MAF, MAP, Temperature Sensor and still had the light coming on!!

On thing that not a lot a people think of checking is the Ethanol rating in the gasoline they use!! Toyota tacoma are set to use Gas with less then 10% ethanol... So what i did is I empty my tank and filled it back with ethanol Free Gasoline, unplug the battery to erase the codes and Guess what, no more light...

The problem with ethanol is that it doesn't burn like regular gas at all and our O2 sensors do not reconised the exhaust gas so your check engine light turn on!!!

I was using Gasoline that had 12% Ethanol and didn't know it!!

Try that and let me know what happens

Thanks
#6 Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Gearhead

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Could try resetting the ECM and see if the code comes back. More than 70% of those P0420 do not show up after being reset - "automagically" fixes itself. If the code pops back immediately, then you have a definitely issue causing the CEL. Could be as simple as an exhaust leak or more likely, a bad downstream (post cat) O2 sensor. You'll have to backprobe the sensor to be sure.

It is possible at that mileage that the catalytic converter has gone bad - more so if the car consumes any amount of oil. In that case, start shopping around - depending on the smog laws there - you could be stuck purchasing a cat that is legal for Federal and Cali specs - usually means OEM and expensive..

2002 Toyota Corolla S, 1.8L 1ZZ-FE VVT-i
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS, 1.8L 2ZZ-GE, VVTL-i (RIP)
2009 Toyota Matrix XRS, 2.4L 2AZ-FE VVT-i
2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited, 2.5L 2AR-FE Dual VVT-i
#7 Old 12-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Official TN Member

i changed the cat and 2 O2 sensors and replaced cat with a obd ii replacement

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
2010 Toyota Corolla S
#8 Old 12-16-2010, 08:58 PM
New TN User

Well your theory on the gas with the ethanol is just a theory. O2 sensor do not read gas at all they check the level of oxygen in the exhaust based on what it reads from the outside. And Airfuel sensor do the same but have a greater operating range to work in. You could just clear the code and drive to see if it come back right away might get lucky. But the ECM check the CAT operation by running the engine lean and seeing how long it take the oxygen to show up at the downstream O2 sensor then rich to see how much fuel the converter brake down before the down stream sensor see the rich condition. If the CAT doesnt fall in between the operating range in the ecu it sets the code. The CAT is basicully a sponge the absorbs oxygen and uses it to break done unburnt gas. So as long as both sensor are reading and not reading slow all u need is the cat and maybe the sensors. If u go aftermarket make sure it meets CAli standards to be safe. Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)