plastic covers undercarriage - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)

9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View friedchicken's Photo Gallery
plastic covers undercarriage

I think there is toyota engineering flaw on the plastic fasteners that hold down the plastic covers underneath the car. They get brittle and FALL OFF! No tech has never worked on the car but me. There is a total of 8 plastic screws that are missing and now are held up with plastic tie wraps or some say zip ties.

Do you guys have this issue? A what screw out there will secure it better? If not than I guess the zip tie will just do.

I have a 91 integra and the plastic screw design is better and much in tact.
friedchicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
04 Corolla CE manual

Gameroom cash: $617804
View invader's Photo Gallery
Yes, and the black nylon retainers are hard to remove without breaking... I replaced most of them them with 3/16" bolts and washers by threading the metal holes with a 5/16"-18 tap, and by using a bolt and nut to secure plastic panels together and on the wheel wells where needed.

Last edited by invader; 02-28-2013 at 11:50 PM.
invader is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Yes, and they're hard yo remove without breaking... I replaced them with 3/16" bolts and washers by threading the opening in the metal down in front with a 3/16" tap, and by using a nut to secure plastic panels together and on the wheel wells where I had to.

I've never tried to remove them. They just fell off by themselves while driving or something due to twisting and turning of the chassy. Car not lowered too.

Ohh and to add to things falling apart in the car, the black plastic strip outside on the roof is totally gone. Wasn't secured on right? Mine you that they are two black plastic strips on the drivers side and the passengers side of the roof. The one that is missing is the passenger side. Its been like that 2 years after I purchased the new car.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View trailerCaptain's Photo Gallery
Mine ripped out long ago along with the plastic wheel wells. Sucks cause I drive in the sand/dirt quite a bit, what a mess.
trailerCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Ohiowa's Photo Gallery
Does anyone have the Toyota part number for the retainers? I'm poking around online trying to find the cheapest price. I pretty much have to replace them once a year and don't feel like paying $1.98 each at the dealer.
2003 Toyota Corolla LE
Ohiowa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
04 Corolla CE manual

Gameroom cash: $617804
View invader's Photo Gallery
http://www.toyomotorparts.com/compon...-02-10293.html

http://www.utoyot8.com/Picture.aspx?...nfo=(0204-++++)

Toyota # 90467-07164 ($1.75 retail each)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25x-For-Toyo...9e3063&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25x-For-Toyo...item460d1f8169

Toyota # 90467-10183 ($1.09 retail each)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20x-For-Toyo...item4605a8cc83

Last edited by invader; 03-01-2013 at 12:14 AM.
invader is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiowa View Post
Does anyone have the Toyota part number for the retainers? I'm poking around online trying to find the cheapest price. I pretty much have to replace them once a year and don't feel like paying $1.98 each at the dealer.
Toyota needs to make better lasting parts. People shoudnt be changing parts underneath the car once a year.

Last edited by friedchicken; 03-26-2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Add more text
Old 03-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Ohiowa's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedchicken View Post
Toyota needs to make better lasting parts. People shouldn't change plastic screws under neath the car once a year.
I think the point has been made that the clips are flimsy. This doesn't change the fact that they must be replaced when they break.
2003 Toyota Corolla LE
Ohiowa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiowa View Post
I think the point has been made that the clips are flimsy. This doesn't change the fact that they must be replaced when they break.
Best to describe is brittle.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Raddman04's Photo Gallery
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedchicken View Post
Toyota needs to make better lasting parts. People shoudnt be changing parts underneath the car once a year.
I've lost only one in 6 years/143K and it was because I hit a possum, same retainers as you have and still holding solid even after 5 years of Cleveland's ice, snow and potholes, my drivers side wheel well liner did crack on me once and had to be replaced, I bought it from the dealer and did notice it didn't seem as thick as the original

Last edited by Raddman04; 03-26-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Raddman04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View encinitasone's Photo Gallery
Just lost a inner wheel well plastic liner where the plastic fasteners came out. Took the car in to Toyota of San Diego and they said they would charge 1/2 the labor but jacked up the repair to $280.00. Larrrrrry was not helpful and he is the maintenance supervisor. When asked he said right away " this car is not under warranty". Larrrry, do you stand behind your products as this looks like a poor design. He would not call back. Filed complaint report. Larrrry did say however,,,,,,these have been working fine. They look like they were designed by a kinder gardener....I found a bunch more that were missing....they just fall out ....then you go see Larrrrry down at San Diego......if he is not in a meeting.....or hiding from you.
encinitasone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View TRD-1138's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddman04 View Post
I've lost only one in 6 years/143K and it was because I hit a possum, same retainers as you have and still holding solid even after 5 years of Cleveland's ice, snow and potholes, my drivers side wheel well liner did crack on me once and had to be replaced, I bought it from the dealer and did notice it didn't seem as thick as the original
I am the second owner of mine and it was stock. I didn't have any issues with the undercarriage plastic until I started messing with it. I need to change my headlights this week and will try to repair/replace the fasteners better. May go with bolts and nuts like invader mentioned.
TRD-1138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

View mrtimo's Photo Gallery
advice?

Newbie here. Replacing my fender liner AKA wheel well cover - passenger front soon.
Because mine had come loose, it rubbed against my tire and my tire ate/melted a big whole in it near the windshield wiper fluid container, also the rubber hose that carries the wiper fluid up, started rubbing too... but I saved this... time to fix this:

Planning on buying this: (a new plastic wheel well cover)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5387502090-T...item2c6ba58e4f
and this: (25 plastic fasteners)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Front-Fen...649731&vxp=mtr

Anything else I will need to buy for this job?
Do I just rip out the old one and put in the new? Are there any other types of fasteners I should get?
mrtimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

View Getnby's Photo Gallery
2011 Sienna - plastic cover undercarriage - poor design

We had some heavy rain the low spots in the street were flooded, I am guess about 4-6 inches. Vehicles ahead and behind us were driving abput 10-20 mph. We thought we have a large engine with AWD, no problem right? Well the plastic cover essentially ripped off on the drivers side. Its fastened with plastic clips and plastic screws. When it came off, it also snapped one of the fastners to the platic front bumper. Toyota Customer Service, said that it was not covered under the bumper to bumper warrenty. I inquired if he had ever heard of this happening. He commented that it happens all of the time. Our car insurance will cover the repair. Gerber Collision Repair estimated $2000 to buy a new plastic cover and fasten wiith new plastic screws, they will also need to paint the plastic front bumper, becuause when they epoxy or weld the little fastner that looks like a 3/8 washer it will discolor the area. I had a chevy blazer for 15 years without any issues, we purchased this van about a month ago and already have a $2000 repair for what appears to be nonessential part to a poor design.
Getnby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 01:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Supreme Member
View 75aces's Photo Gallery
You can just remove the plastic covers if the plastic retainers keep falling out. I lost all mine and just used zip ties.
75aces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)