Approximate cost of fixing scuffs/scratches and other repairs on a 2006 Corolla S? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-26-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Approximate cost of fixing scuffs/scratches and other repairs on a 2006 Corolla S?

Test drove a dark gray, 2006 Corolla S a couple of days ago in relatively good mechanical shape. There was some slight grinding when the brakes were depressed all the way down and the compartment under the hood seemed very dirty/dusty for some reason (I've looked at 10 Corollas in the past 2 months but none were so... unclean!).

On the aesthetics side, the interior was pretty clean, though the lower instrument panel was broken and there was some odd peeling on the bottom edge of the rear-view mirror. I'm more concerned about the exterior: there was a small dent on the left front bumper (the "lip" of the body kit) that was repaired; it now looks a bit crumpled (for lack of a better word). There were scratches and scuffs nearly everywhere, though no other dents or dings. The rear and front bumpers seemed to have quite a bit of chipped paint, particularly on the corners. The strangest thing I found were long, 12-18 inch horizontal scratches across the hood (around 6-10 of them, of varying depth). What could possibly cause this type of scratch? All in all, besides the chipping on the bumpers, none of the scratches seemed very deep, but I don't know much about paint work and paint repair on cars to know if it can be fixed.

The seller is asking for $8500 (car has 60k miles) though he is slightly negotiable. I'd like to get a rough idea of what it would cost to get all the scratches out, fix/replace the dented part of the front bumper, and replace the broken instrument panel and weird rearview mirror.

Once I have a rough estimate, is it reasonable to ask the seller to reduce the asking price by the amount of the repair estimate? I'm just wondering if this is ridiculous or standard operating procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-26-2012, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Oh, and one more thing: the car's history shows it being sold at auction as a fleet/lease/rental vehicle. How does this factor in to the value of the car? Is it a dealbreaker?
post #3 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 09:48 AM
TN Post Wh*re

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1878 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by megacoupe View Post
Oh, and one more thing: the car's history shows it being sold at auction as a fleet/lease/rental vehicle. How does this factor in to the value of the car? Is it a dealbreaker?

Probably. Was this car used for all 3 or just one or two, if it went into detail? Regardless, as a rental, the person renting does not care, because it is not their car, so they would treat it as such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I wouldn't even buy this car for $7500 based on everything you said.

Listen, we all know what happens to rental cars and how people drive in them, and how they treat them. This is not the kind of car you want to own at all. Heck, the cosmetic defects could be the least of your worries. All it takes is for a couple idiots to rent that car and floor it two seconds after turning it on when it's 10 degrees outside and that engine will have as much wear on it as one with 200k on it.

Quote:
The strangest thing I found were long, 12-18 inch horizontal scratches across the hood (around 6-10 of them, of varying depth)
You have to pay attention to stuff like this and think forward. You're either going to have rust problems, or at a minimum, you're going to lose a serious amount of clear coat as time goes on and the sun has some time to blast away at the holes those scratches left.

I'm sure by the 10th Corolla, you're ready to pull your hair out and just pull the trigger, but there are a lot of these cars out there. Unfortunately, lots of them are ruined, but eventually you'll find the one.

Last edited by MD1032; 02-27-2012 at 08:24 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Just to clarify what the Autocheck says:

Quote:
10/29/2009 EASTERN REGION 40,019 Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION

11/10/2009 VA 40,019 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE REPOSSESSED

11/23/2009 EASTERN REGION 40,019 Auto Auction AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS FLEET/LEASE

12/08/2009 LUMBERTON, NJ Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:*********)

03/22/2010 EASTERN REGION 40,067 Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION

03/22/2010 EASTERN REGION 40,069 Auto Auction AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS FLEET/LEASE

05/27/2010 FAIRFIELD, CT 40,073 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:*********)

05/27/2010 FAIRFIELD, CT Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

07/20/2010 OREM, UT Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
The Carfax, on the other hand, states that the vehicle was purchased as a personal vehicle. Despite some loan/lien records, it seems fairly clean.

Who to believe?

Last edited by megacoupe; 02-27-2012 at 10:06 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Automotive Philosopher

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD1032 View Post

I'm sure by the 10th Corolla, you're ready to pull your hair out and just pull the trigger, but there are a lot of these cars out there. Unfortunately, lots of them are ruined, but eventually you'll find the one.
Ditto. The Toyota Corolla is the best-selling nameplate in the History of Mankind. Toyota sold 387,388 in the US in model year 2006 alone.

The ones you've looked at sound like dogs, and have probably lingered around unsold for a while. Have you tried looking in the classifieds and calling around to dealers in areas where there are a lot of retirement communities?

2003 Corolla LE
post #7 of 11 Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 AM
ASE Certified Master Tech

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Assuming the car was in good mechanical shape I'd point out all the flaws and offer the guy four maybe five grand. When he said NO WAY I'd just walk away...
post #8 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD1032 View Post
I wouldn't even buy this car for $7500 based on everything you said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTecInSTL View Post
Assuming the car was in good mechanical shape I'd point out all the flaws and offer the guy four maybe five grand. When he said NO WAY I'd just walk away...
$7500? $4000-$5000? Maybe I just don't know cars, but these numbers seem quite low for a car that values at over $9000 in the lowest rated condition ("fine").

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think this car would be worth if it was never used as a rental?

(this might be a valid point because the "fleet/lease" item turned up on the autocheck but not the carfax)
post #9 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Automotive Philosopher

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Guidebooks generally seem to be on the high side. For some idea of actual transaction prices, you can check the "completed listing" function on eBay.

The eBay range on Gen 9 Corollas I came up with was a low price on a 2003 CE AT that sold for $4,112 on 2/24/12 and the high price was a 2007 CE 5-speed with 119,556 miles that sold for $8621 (!) on 2/10/12.

There were a number of cars listed with prices of $10k or more, but they don't seem to be selling at those prices.

2003 Corolla LE
post #10 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 10:50 AM
ASE Certified Master Tech

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Might seem low but when a car has a lot of obvious flaws like that it's a good way to possibly get lucky with a lowball offer. If I wanted to spend $8000+ then I'd want it to be cherry. If I'm going to have to spend money on it to fix it up then I'm going to get it for a steal otherwise it isn't worth my time.

When people try to sell crap like that at bluebook prices... then I laught at them by lowballing the heck out of them and if they won't go for it then see ya.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for posting the autocheck. Actually, since you put it that way, it probably was just someone's car and not a fleet or rental car. Still, I can only say that I agree 100% with everything that MasterTecInSTL said. Let dealers like that trying to sell stuff for ridiculous prices rip someone else off (or run their business into the ground).

My experience: I bought an 05 with 97k on it with a very good condition exterior (mint condition interior, too) from a Subie dealer with a decent warranty (basically covered everything for 3,000 miles...ended up getting a new battery out of it) for $8000. When I found that car, I basically had no hesitation about buying it, unlike the previous 6. It was apparent that it had been babied its whole life as it basically felt like a brand new car. It's been fine for the 12k I've put on it since I bought it in November. So far I have not had to do anything but general maintenance and the famous intake manifold gasket. All that said, I definitely overpaid for my car slightly, and most people think I'm nuts even paying $8,000 for a car that old with that many miles. We'll see who has the last laugh in another 100-150k miles, I say.

edit: Also, even if it wasn't a fleet vehicle and some regular joe owned it, 60k miles is still enough time to do some serious damage in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to treat a car right.

Last edited by MD1032; 02-29-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)