2005 Corolla Shaking - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2005 Corolla Shaking

My 2005 toyota corolla, tends to shake or vibrate a lot esp when its idling. The RPM usually drops below 900/800 and sometimes the car just turns off after the RPM drops to 0.

It does not do it at all times.. but it usually comes and goes. Sometimes when it is in park mode and i start the engine.. the RPM doesnt seem to want to stay up. It seems to be worse at a red light.

I have changed the motor mounts, did a fuel injector cleaning (cause one workshop said could be cause of the carbon buildup on the valve of the engine air intake). I purchased this car used; and right after changed the spark plugs - i got BOSCH. I service it every 3K..yet not sure what is wrong.

Recently it has started to move the RPM around a lot more and hence when at a red light if my brakes are off the car, it tends to move front and back as the RPM raises and drops.

Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Try cleaning the throttle body and reset the Ecu by disconnecting the battery for a hour. Any check engine lights? Bosch spark plugs don't play nice with Toyota engines. Also check for vac leaks or broken or disconnected vac lines. Did you get the Ecu recall performed on your car?

Last edited by mikered30; 04-16-2012 at 01:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikered30 For This Useful Post:
jay13514 (04-16-2012)
#3 Old 04-16-2012, 06:54 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks mikered30, i never did have my check engine lights on until today... after almost a year. I took the car to Pep boys and they said one of the pistons seems to be misfiring and I would need to change the spark plugs and the wires.

Would you happen to know/suggest which spark plugs go good with the 2005 Corolla? Denson/NGK? and would you know a website where I can buy these for cheap?

I hope that solves the problem and no never did the ECU recall. Did'nt know about it until you mentioned it :-/
#4 Old 04-16-2012, 07:05 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I am wondering if he has a valve float???

SSM 05 Corolla XRS 6 Spd VVTL-i 2ZZ-GE /04 Corolla S 1ZZ-FE (sold)

BT: 14.67@96mph(I/E)/Injen CAI/Greddy SP2/MT90/Michelin Pilot SS 205/45/17/Megan/Koni/Slotted rotors/Ceramic pads/Enkei PF01 17 x 7.5

Lift off@6000 - 8400 rpm

"LFA - Passion, soul and character in its purest form"

#5 Old 04-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay13514 View Post
Thanks mikered30, i never did have my check engine lights on until today... after almost a year. I took the car to Pep boys and they said one of the pistons seems to be misfiring and I would need to change the spark plugs and the wires.

Would you happen to know/suggest which spark plugs go good with the 2005 Corolla? Denson/NGK? and would you know a website where I can buy these for cheap?

I hope that solves the problem and no never did the ECU recall. Did'nt know about it until you mentioned it :-/
Denso OEM Iridium, NGK Iridium IX are best and are really good, I would get what ever is cheaper between the two. They come pre gapped, so no need to adjust the gap. Like I said earlier, bosch plugs and sensors just don't work with toyotas. I assume the code was P0300? No wires to change, coil on plug ignition. amazon and rockauto usually beat the auto store prices but doesn't help to call around. Expect to pay around $32 for a set of 4. Clean the throttle body before the plug change. Inspect the old plugs after you remove them. If you still get the missfire, swap the coil packs and see if the misfire moves with the coil pack. If that doesn't work, a compression test may help diagnose it.

You can call up the dealer and explain how you are the second owner and want to check if the ECU recall was performed, just give them your VIN and see if your corolla is even covered by the recall. If it qualifies for the recall, it the replacement is free.

Does your engine make any abnormal noises, such as ticking, knocking, or hissing?

Last edited by mikered30; 04-16-2012 at 07:53 PM.
#6 Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, i'll def try that out.... could you please elaborate what you meant by "No wires to change".. i mean i was told to switch the wires along with the spark plugs; and you suggest not doing so?

I have never heard of any noises for a prolonged period... however at time i hear a slight hissing noise which goes away and at time some clinging noise (this is usually from the rear of the car - not sure if its the axle)

I hope the spark plug solves the issue... if i have to change the coil packs am assuming thats going to be more expensive...
#7 Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Senior TN Member

Toyota stopped using a distributor in 1998 on the corolla and stopped using spark plug wires in 2000, moving to a coil-on-plug ignition. Spark plug wires have been "replaced" by electronically controlled coil-on-plug sequential ignition.

If you put in the new NGK or Denso iridium pulgs and you still have the misfire, rotate the existing coil packs to see if the misfire follows the coil, that will narrow it down. Coil packs are extremely expensive. It would not be unheard to have a crappy ECU, clean the throttle body, put in the new plugs, and see if you fall under the recall.

Where does the hissing noise come from? Does it sound like leaking tire? Might be a vacuum line issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikered30 For This Useful Post:
MD1032 (04-17-2012)
#8 Old 04-16-2012, 10:47 PM
04 Corolla CE manual

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Bosch spark plugs are fine. Which one do you have? I use Bosch Platinum IR Fusion plugs and they're great. It is better to stick with Denso oxygen sensors.
If you still have the original intake manifold black gasket, it most likely is leaking (vacuum leak) and the cause of your problems. Replace with Toyota's revised orange gasket # 17171-22060.
#9 Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 PM
04 Corolla CE manual

Intake manifold gasket was easily replaced on friend's 2005 without draining any coolant or disconnecting throttle body coolant lines, by setting (+cleaning) throttle body aside.
1st pic shows elusive brake booster vacuum hose on intake manifold, which is hidden once throttle body is installed:

Also, check out hardthorpe72's DIY:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/13...ment-pics.html

Last edited by invader; 04-16-2012 at 10:57 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to invader For This Useful Post:
jay13514 (04-17-2012), MD1032 (04-17-2012)
#10 Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
So apparently, I heard some clinging sounds for a little bit; since this question was asked earlier. I hear a hissing sound only when i turn my steering wheels either all the way to the left or to the right; just for as long as i hold the steering in that position. Could anyone pls elaborate more on the vaccum issue? or which hose we're talking about here?

the intake manifold black gasket... hmm.. mikered30 is this the same leak u were talking about? I'll def try that out too. I ended up purchasing the toyota OEM NGK spark plugs. I might try these tomorow. Let you guys know how it goes. Thanks!
#11 Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 PM
04 Corolla CE manual

I was just showing the brake booster vacuum hose that is easy to miss upon reassembly if you remove the intake manifold to replace the gasket.
#12 Old 04-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Senior TN Member

Let us know how the TB cleaning and plug change goes and how the old plugs look. I think the sound you hear is the noise of the power steering pump at full lock, let me know if that isn't true.

As far as a vac leaking shutting down the car, you would likely hear the vac leak if it was that severe under the hood and you would have a CEL for a lean condition, which I understand that you do not have a CEL for a lean condition. Most of the issues with the intake manifold gasket show up during cold snaps when the gasket shrinks, and in that case you would not hear it as the leak is usually small. Spraying carb cleaner around the gasket shows that it is good/bad.

Did you inquire about the ECU recall? Did you ever notice the shaking prior to the last spark plug change?
#13 Old 04-18-2012, 02:12 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Good question!... So i got my car September 2010 and it seemed fine. The first sign of it shaking and eventually stalling was when i was stopped at a red light and road was sort of an incline. I believe this was around in Oct 2010 and by then i had replaced my spark plugs to new Bosch ones. (i was advised to change my spark plugs since i was getting a used car)

I know this sounds a little wiered; but i have noticed it many times.. since i mentioed earlier the shaking comes and goes for the past one year and just a few days a ago the check engine light came finally on. I have noticed that whenever i park on a ramp/incline or a slightly raised surface and when i get back to my car and start it up; it seems to start shaking either then or eventually after sometime at a red light or so. Whenever i park on a straight/flat ground i very seldom see the shaking and the car would run fine for weeks perhaps months.. until that one time i park it on a slope again.. then for the next few weeks the shaking would come and go and then eventually not happen for a while. Many times, i would either hold the brakes and give some accl. to maintain the RPM above 1000 else it would be around 500 and shake profusely. So that never made me any sense.

Mikered30, you had mentioned about the spark plugs not having any wires? cause i got just the sparkplugs alone and i have been reading a little and they said it could be cause of bad wires? so should I be getting wires? or as you said this model does not need wires?
#14 Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Senior TN Member

No wires on the 9th gen corolla, they have
Coil on plug ignition see http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...a/corolla.html

You cannot buy spark plug wires for a 9th gen corolla, they dont exist. You can buy ignition coils for $125 each at the dealer.
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...agramCallOut=1

You can rotate them after you change the plugs if you still have the misfire issue. If that doesn't fix it, swapping injectors maybe in order followed by a looking at the intake manifold gasket, and finally a compression test.

How did the plug install go? Any oil on the plugs?

Last edited by mikered30; 04-18-2012 at 05:45 PM.
#15 Old 04-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Toyota Fanatic

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,886 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Intake gasket would come before an injector swap or plug check as that is a known issue that causes misfires and shaking. I would do the plugs (who knows what Bosch you have) to NGK iridium IX, NGK Iridium Laser, or OEM Denso Iridium.

Then worry about diagnosing a misfire condition.

My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 Hardtop 1JZGTE R154
2005 Corolla CE Manual 1ZZFE
2009 Camry LE Auto 2AZFE

If I helped out in any way please hit the Thanks button under my post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)