Toyota Nation Forum banner

2004 vs. 2006 Corolla LE

28K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  InVaLiD. 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm a Ford Focus owner. Tired of being "Found On Road Dead" and looking for something that meets my needs. My main concerns are, 1. reliability 2. mpg 3. smooth and comfortable for highway driving.

I have come to believe that the Corolla is as reliable as it gets when it comes to automobiles. :D:rockon: I was looking on a edmunds and found the following page. http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/corolla/2006/reliability.html?style=100578067

It states that the 04 and 07 is more reliable vs the 05 and 06 in the engine area? Why is this? Most likely the 07 isn't in my budget, so I'm leaning towards a 2004. Could someone explain the differences here? Thanks

#2 ·
Hi:

Good call in considering the Corolla:thumbsup:

Engine issue you saw is in reference to the PCM. Toyota had a manufacturing defect in some PCMs from the 2005-2008 model years Corolla. The symptoms could include rough shifting, stalling, hard starts, etc. This is also the same time that Toyota started using Drive By Throttle/Wire, which gave the computer more control over "running the car"

The 2004 used cable throttle, so the PCM issue either was a very small or not at all issue. Other than that, there have been few problems with the Corolla over the years. Good luck in finding a decent one.

#22 ·
This is not really an issue. I havw a '06 and it was an ECM issue that was covered under a recall, so it will cost you nothing to take it to the dealer and have them replace it in about 30 mins max

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#5 ·
You're welcome, and thank you for the information about the cost for a PCM for the later models.

I don't think the 04 has many issues at all, The oil burning problems that plagued some of the earlier 4 cylinder Corollas was largely solved. They should give you hardly any problems.

#6 ·
No problem. I'm just going to continue driving my P.O.S. Ford, and wait for the right one to pop up. I been keeping my eyes peeled. It can't be hard to find one living in the smack dab middle of San Antonio, Houston, Austin, and Dallas. lol I'm gearing towards the LE Version with the wood grain on the inside. I'm hoping to find a particular color in this dark blue or either a black. Hopefully I run across the right one!

I just read here, that Corolla is rated the most reliable car for 2004.
http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/08/pf/autos/cr_auto_reliability/

#12 ·
No problem. I'm just going to continue driving my P.O.S. Ford, and wait for the right one to pop up. I been keeping my eyes peeled. It can't be hard to find one living in the smack dab middle of San Antonio, Houston, Austin, and Dallas. lol I'm gearing towards the LE Version with the wood grain on the inside. I'm hoping to find a particular color in this dark blue or either a black. Hopefully I run across the right one!

I just read here, that Corolla is rated the most reliable car for 2004.
http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/08/pf/autos/cr_auto_reliability/

Well the good thing is that you have at least 4 model years to look at (2005-2008). If you don't mind driving a hatch/wagon, you may be interested in the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. Both are Corolla spin offs. In fact, since the Vibe has been discontinued, you may be able to get a great deal. The Vibe is every bit as good (if not better) along with the Corolla and Matrix.

#7 · (Edited)
For driving purposes the 2004 will feel nicer because it has a real throttle cable. The 2006 is technically better (once you get the ECM fixed) because it has DBW and some minor fixes compared to the 03-04. I went with the 05-08 when I bought mine because I was worried about having the 1ZZ-FE oil burning problem.

#8 · (Edited)
The ECM will not cost anything. All the bad ECMs were covered under a recall. If you find one that hasn't been done yet (rare anyway) it will be covered free unlimited mileage so long as it was a covered ECU.

A 2005-2008 is going to have a more kinks worked out over an 03-04. Here are just a few off the top of my head.

1. Windshield noise update
2. Wheel bearing updates
3. Brake caliper update.
4. Transmission cooler line update
5. A/F sensor update
6. Window run update

And that's just off the top of my head.

The 2005-2008 while 90-95% the same have less parts, updated parts, better fuel economy, and since they are newer just a little better condition.

While they are all good cars I can see the 05-08 Corollas going a little longer without a repair.

This is coming from a former Toyota tech with 6 Corollas in mine and immediate family.
1982 Corolla SR5
2001 Corolla LE 225K
2003 (02 build) Corolla LE 150K
2005 Corolla CE 109K
2007 Corolla CE 160K
2012 Corolla LE 20K

#10 ·
Go on Toyota.com for owners section and register and run the the VIN.

You can also call a Toyota dealer and check carfax or auto check too.

A lot more ECMS were recalled then gave problems. I replaced maybe 2 in 3 years that failed. As a dealer we did maybe 20 if not less. My manual trans was recalled and I never once saw any MT have any issues. I got a free ECU so I was happy.

#13 · (Edited)
The Vibe is weaker than the Corolla/Matrix to one major difference. The AC Delco A/C system. The compressor is not as reliable as the Denso and its harder to work on (just blower resistor is like 3 times as hard to replace).

I'm not saying to avoid an 03-04 but if you can afford an 05-08 get one. Its just a better overall car. The 08 is the best model. They literally got better every year until 10th gen which was a huge boost in features but drop in quality.

Reactions: zythr
#15 ·
I test drove a Matrix and honestly I felt like the interior was a little cheaper but the folding back seats were awesome and it was obvious that it was designed with a little more utility in mind. The one thing that sticks out for me about that car was the shifter. The placement was awkward and the throw felt shorter, which made the C59 even harder to shift.

#16 ·
Both great cars that likely wont break. But if you can afford it, the Matrix gives a little more peace of mind.

Also it may be cheaper but it has a lot of nice touches like:

115V outlet
Rubberized read cargo area
Ridiculous room
Non shaped dash at radio area (like Corolla) making Double Din radio install easier and cleaner
Larger rear brakes
Larger wheels

If I found a Matrix for a good price I would have bought it over my Corolla. While I love my car I have a soft spot for wagons and the utility factor (my Corolla is a 90% complete mobile shop at all times) is a huge plus for me.

#20 · (Edited)
I doubt GM did much of anything with the Vibe other than put a badge on it (like a Prizm) and A/C. Interestingly the 2005+ Tacoma also uses an A/C Delco A/C system and the Vibe and Tacoma share the same cabin filter.

The A/C system is completely different behind the dash. No changing it out.

I am not opposed to the vibe at all. Just a preference for a 2005-2008 Matrix XR 5 Speed over all ZZE130 cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.