Engine Codes - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)

9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View kedjc22's Photo Gallery
Engine Codes

Hey guys need some help my time is running out to get my car smoged im haveing trouble with these codes ( P2238 ) ( Poo31 ) ( Poo37 ) can any one help me with the fault codes I dont have the cash to take it to the shop.I going though some hard times im sure most of us are im very mechanicaly inclinde just need to be pointed in the right direction thanks everyone Sorry guys my car is a 2005 Matrix xr 1zz engine also my air bag light is on help.

Last edited by kedjc22; 11-18-2012 at 09:08 PM.
kedjc22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gearhead

Gameroom cash: $293365
View fishexpo101's Photo Gallery
Fortunately, these may all be related (code wise). The airbag sensor, you'll have to set the ECM to diagnostic mode and read the associated code. There is a jumper that needs to be made to trigger the SRS ECU to flash the trouble code. There are videos online that show you how to do it - just make sure you are totally comfortable doing this. Accidentally short the wrong pins - could toast your ECM = $$$$$

Unfortunately, lots of shops will charge you a "hook up fee" on top of the usually diagnostic fee. So could be a fair amount of money involved here. If the AFR sensor is shot - you can change it yourself, upstream Denso AFR sensor costs about $100. The after cat or downstream Denso O2 sensor costs about $60. Depending on what is wrong with the SRS system - could be a couple bucks (connector) to several hundred dollars (bad squib, bad wiring harness, broken spiral cable) - some can picked up cheaper from a salvage yard. Also ping on body shops - they might be able to hook you up.

P2238 - O2 Sensor Positive Current Control Circuit Low (before catalytic converter)
- possible causes: bad AFR sensor (this car had an air fuel sensor and not your typical O2 sensor - ,ie = $$$)
, faulty wiring, faulty ECM
- try resetting the ECM (use a scan tool) and see if it comes back

P0031 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (before catalytic converter)
- possible causes: bad AFR sensor, faulty wiring, faulty ECM

P0037 - Heater Control Circuit Low (after catalytic converter)
- possible causes: bad O2 sensor (this one is your typical O2 sensor), faulty wiring, faulty ECM

Best bet - invest in an ODB-II/CAN/ISO scanner. Prices has really dropped - you can pick one up for less than $60 easy, some run as low as $30-$40. Pays for itself with one use. Try and diagnose the issue as much as possible, sometimes resetting the ECM will "fix" the problem. If not, then try to isolate the problem. Swapping parts is easy, but can get you into trouble if you don't take the time to diagnose the issue. Since you are under a time constraint - might have no choice but to spend the coin to replace the sensors. Don't skimp on the sensors - this engine is really sensitive to the parts you put on - stick with Denso sensors for less headaches down the road.
2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited, 2.5L 2AR-FE Dual VVT-i
fishexpo101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 03:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View LouisLopez's Photo Gallery
Engine is a really a sensitive part so try to solve this issue as soon as possible .As the prices have really dropped you can check and diagnose the issue.
LouisLopez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
2009 Matrix S

View PG09's Photo Gallery
If you have a O2 heater code that is cut and dry a bad O2 sensor. You already have to replace the O2 to fix that code and it most likely will fix your other 2 codes as well. Double check to see if it is the sensor 1 or sensor 2. 1 is the front one and 2 is the one after the cat converter. Should be an easy fix, might cost you $120 for a Denso O2 sensor.
PG09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)