Toyota Nation Forum banner

DIY 2003-2008 Corolla Gauge Cluster Swap w/PICS!

87K views 84 replies 38 participants last post by  Mustafa.hanafy94 
#1 · (Edited)
I know this is an easy one but just in case I made a DIY for Gauge Cluster replacement. This DIY will apply identically to all 2003-2008 Corolla models and should be fairly similar to lots of Toyota models. This is perfect for those who want to upgrade their cluster to a nicer cluster or have a maxed out 299,999 miles/km cluster.

Note: Mileage is stored on the gauge cluster. So if swapping your cluster you will get whatever mileage is on the cluster. Trying to find a cluster with similar or slightly higher mileage is best.

I did the LE cluster swap on my 2005 Corolla CE. Depending on which year and cluster swap you are doing, there may be some additional requirements like dimmer swapping. I am submitting offers on the 2005 LE/XRS dimmer switch to make it so I have the proper setup. The 2005 LE/XRS specific switch is a bit elusive on eBay.

Disclaimer: Myself or Toyotanation are not responsible for any damage or injury that may result from use of the DIY. Automotive maintenance and repair should be performed by qualified technicians. This DIY is for informational purposes, use it at your own risk.

Tools and Parts needed:

#2 Phillips/Crosstip Screwdriver 5-6 inches long
#2 Phillips/Crosstip Screwdriver Stubby Length

Here are the basics of cluster swapping

2003-2004 Cluster Swaps

2003-2004 Corolla CE/LE/S each have unique gauges which are completely interchangeable. Both the S and LE have different white faced gauges while the CE has black faced.

Note: The 2003-2004 S gauges are different than the 2005-2008 S gauges though they look VERY SIMILAR. The easiest way to tell is that 2003-2004 S gauges have a black trim around the white gauge faces while the 2005-2008 have silver trim around the faces.

Note: 2003-2004 and 2005-2008 Gauges are not interchangeable. This is due to the fuel level sensor being completely different. In theory with the correct resistor inline you could make it work as the plugs are the same.

07/2005 or before built Corolla CE/S to LE optitron cluster swap will need (2005-early 2006):

2005-2008 Corolla LE gauge cluster
07/2005 or before built LE/XRS only Light Control Rheostat w/dome light function part number - 84119-02030

08/2005-2008 Corolla CE/S to LE optitron cluster swap will need (later 2006-2008 models):

2005-2008 Corolla LE gauge cluster
08/2005-2008 LE/XRS only Light Control Rheostat w/out dome light function part number - 84119-02060

Note: XRS was only available from 2005-2006 but LE with this switch is from 08/2005-2008

07/2005 or before Corolla LE optitron to CE/S cluster swap will need:

2005-2008 Corolla CE/S gauge cluster
2003-07/2005 CE/S or 2003-2004 LE only Light Control Rheostat w/dome light function part number - 84119-02020

08/2005-2008 Corolla LE optitron to CE/S cluster swap will need:

2005-2008 Corolla CE/S gauge cluster
08/2005-2008 CE/S only Light Control Rheostat w/out dome light function part number - 84119-02050

Note: 07/2005 and prior cars use a dome light controlled by the rheostat. This is easily identifiable by no switch on the dome light. All cars from 08/2005 - 2008 use a dimmer switch just for the cluster and a dome light controlled at the light itself. 07/2005 and 08/2005 both fall under the 2006 model year. So if you have a 2006 model and want to find the correct switch for your swap, just look at how your dome light is controlled and choose accordingly.

Step 1. Park the car and shut the engine off. Unlock the tilt adjustment lever to allow movement of the steering column.

Step 2. If you track mileage for any reason be sure to write down your existing trip mileages. I purchased a cluster on eBay with similar but higher mileage as mine and swapped when they were close.

Step 3. Remove the cluster surround. Locate the cluster surround mounting screw. Using your stubby #2 phillips/crosstip screwdriver remove the plastic mounting screw. Using your hands, carefully release the cluster surround from the dash by pulling straight back on each side just enough to release the surround. Once the surround is released, carefully maneuver it out of the dashboard.

Step 4. Remove the gauge cluster mounting screw. Locate the one gauge cluster mounting screw at the top center of the cluster. Using your longer #2 phillips/crosstip screwdriver, remove the mounting screw from the dashboard.

Step 5. Remove the gauge cluster. Locate the 2 metal locking clips securing the lower part of the cluster to the dashboard. Using your longer #2 phillips/crosstip screwdriver push the locking clips forward to release the lower cluster from the dashboard. Remove the cluster from the dashboard by rotating the bottom upward and pulling the cluster out from the dashboard. Remove the cluster connector and maneuver the cluster out of the dashboard.

Step 6. Install the new gauge cluster. Install the gauge cluster connector and verify the cluster works as it should. Install the cluster into the dashboard and set it in place.

Step 7. Install the cluster mounting screw using your longer screwdriver. Install the lower part of the cluster in the dashboard by pressing down firmly until the white tab seats in the dash and the locking clip is in place.

Step 8. Install the cluster surround. Put the cluster surround in place and press it towards the cluster to lock it in place. Reinstall the plastic surround mounting screw.

Note: Make sure the upper dashboard extensions fit into the groove of the cluster surround.

Step 9. Adjust your steering column to the desired height and tighten the tilt adjustment lever.

Step 10. Start the vehicle and make sure all cluster functions operate as designed. Enjoy your new cluster!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
2003-2004 LE have white gauges.

2005-2008 LE have hidden black faced gauges with white numbers. There is no comparison. The Optitron gauges look like they float in the cluster.

It was worth every penny.

#85 ·
2003-2004 LE have white gauges.

2005-2008 LE have hidden black-faced gauges with white numbers. There is no comparison. The Optitron gauges look like they float in the cluster.

It was worth every penny.
Hey were you able to make that swap with no issue? Because I am getting ready to replace my white face cluster (04) with a black floating cluster(05).

#5 ·
I may do this soon. Looks really similar to the face of the diesel corollas overseas or the diesel altis overseas, both of which have a nicer, similar looking cluster. If I have my fog lights wired to my dimmer switch, will replacing the switch for the swap effect it you think? Or do I just wire the fog lights to the new switch like I did the last one? And, was the new dimmer switch plug and play?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
I haven't gotten the proper switch yet. The switches are direct swap. Currently the cluster works fine, I just can't adjust brightness without the LE/XRS switch.

As for your fogs. Just wire them the same way you have them. You shouldn't have to change anything as the switch just pops out and in.

#6 · (Edited)
Nice! The XRS has the Optitron gauges standard as well. I usually have it just below full bright unless it's a sunny day. I turn it to the lowest possible light if I have to drive at night or else I find it almost distractingly bright (I would kind of like that Saab stealth/pilot mode for gauges).

I've seen some complain on other vehicles that they can't see the gauges due to sun glare but I've never had that problem if it's on full bright.

I believe the XRS came only with the dome control rheostat: Light Control Rheostat w/dome light function part number - 84119-02030.
I know I have it for sure because I've left the dome light on by accident one evening because of this.

#8 ·
I would have gone with XRS gauges if I could be assured they were accurate and were available (not a single one for sale on eBay in a sea of gauges).

For the rheostat I don't know when they stopped producing XRS, but if it's after 07/2005 I can't imagine it didn't get the new rheostat.

Reactions: Exage
#11 ·
You will have to first remove the gauge cluster and then you should see the little plastic clips that hold the lens to the gauge. Be Very Careful not to break them when you pull them up as they can break easy.

Btw: You can also replace the lens if it’s to fogged up or scratched up.

83852-02D90 for the tinted lens for the LE and Xrs.

83852-02680 for the clear lens for the CE and S.

#13 ·
Call me crazy, but I'd like to remove the white gauge from my 08/2005-2008 S and put in that beautiful black gauge from the LE.

However, I'm troubled by the odometer. Is there no way to correct it? Perhaps take it in to a Toyota dealer so they can put the correct mileage on?

This is a concern for me because I imagine I will sell the car one day and don't want to seem shady to prospective buyers.

#14 ·
Im not sure but if they could, the cost would not be worth it. Your best to search ebay or try car-part.com for one thats close to your miles. Ive done this swap on a few Corolla's and I have never had a problem find one that was within a couple thousand miles of the car. The one in my corolla was just over a thousand miles from the original one so I waited until I was one mile difference and then swapped them. It only takes about 30min to do the swap.

#15 ·
Recently the Camry guys have been able to crack the EEPROM chip and reprogram them at home. It looks pretty intense but should be really cheap.

Worst case you could just swap the chips between the two or do like myself and Adama have done and find a cluster with similar mileage.

I'm sure with some patience you could find someone willing to trade an LE cluster for an S cluster.

Good read on the EEPROM chip here:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...gen-5-camry-optitron-gauge-swap-possible.html

Reactions: gigabyte323
#83 ·
Recently the Camry guys have been able to crack the EEPROM chip and reprogram them at home. It looks pretty intense but should be really cheap.

Worst case you could just swap the chips between the two or do like myself and Adama have done and find a cluster with similar mileage.

I'm sure with some patience you could find someone willing to trade an LE cluster for an S cluster.

Good read on the EEPROM chip here:

Gen 5 Camry Optitron gauge swap possible
Does the 2003 S cluster also have the max out at 299k miles problem ?

#16 · (Edited)
Gauges look good!

I love the new gauges on my XRS compared to my old white faced S gauges. I found the S gauges were too "in your face" and bright. The optitron are way easier on my eyes.

I love the tint and how the needles light up when you start the vehicle.

#20 ·
Wrong thread (should be moved to http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...9-999-miles-km-maxed-out-odomoter-thread.html) - but ...

Stopping at 299,999 is a problem with the logic in the firmware on the cluster. Toyota COULD fix the code and create a new cluster that goes beyond 300K, but they haven't yet, and they likely won't do it on an existing cluster.

Re-programming back to zero can definitely be done - you need a speedometer shop, not the dealer. Some comments here - It costs around $200 to do that, while a used cluster goes for $79. The dealer logic is fairly odd here - In the USA, if you had a non-Corolla with 125K miles on it and the cluster failed, you can order a new cluster and the dealer will program it to 125K for you. But the dealer won't program it to 45K for you. The speedo shop probably will but will request that you sign a waiver. I understand the dealer doesn't want to be an accessory to odometer fraud, but the flaw is that you can buy a 45K cluster on E-bay with no restrictions.

#23 ·
The one thing I have done with a friend of mines corolla is when I went overseas, I went to a shop and they reprogramed it to read past 299,999... it didn't affect the current mileage on the car. Sine he had two cars he didn't drive the corolla till I got back a month later... now his cluster reads 360,000 miles... I may do this with mine if the time comes and I still have my car. U don't know how they reprogrammed it. They guy wouldn't tell me. I guess he thought I was gonna steal his business.

#25 ·
I just installed my new LE cluster in my Corolla CE. The problem I ran into was that the tire pressure light comes on and won't go off, and of course, my car doesn't have TPMS. I noticed there are two connector ports on the back of the cluster, one for the harness on the left and another on the right. My car was built in 03/2005. Any ideas what the problem might be?

#28 ·
I did the LE swap in my 07/2004 built CE and the cluster also has the TPMS option. I'm not sure why you are having an issue.

Maybe that cluster was bad in the TPMS portion?

Reactions: CamJunior
#30 ·
I got around to opening up the back of the cluster today to see if there were any bulbs back there I could remove. Turns out, the circuits and electrical connectors on the motherboard are corroded, which I'm almost certain may be causing the TPMS light to illuminate. I'm not too sure about trying to clean it myself, so I'll probably return it and get another replacement.

#31 ·
Gauge Cluster Swap

I just bought another gauge cluster on ebay to upgrade in my 2003 corolla the part i bought is the same model number as the old one but when i got it the mileage is way off does anyone now how you can reprogram the mileage to match whats on my old gauge cluster.

#33 ·
Please help

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and hoping someone can help. I recently swapped by 2008 CE gauges for a set of 2004 Corolla S White gauges and the only thing not working is the fuel gauge. I read in the OP that these are technically not interchangeable because of the different fuel level sensors but it's noted that with the right resistor inline it should work. Does anyone know what resistor I would need to try or where I may find such information?

#50 ·
Please help

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and hoping someone can help. I recently swapped by 2008 CE gauges for a set of 2004 Corolla S White gauges and the only thing not working is the fuel gauge. I read in the OP that these are technically not interchangeable because of the different fuel level sensors but it's noted that with the right resistor inline it should work. Does anyone know what resistor I would need to try or where I may find such information?
Would swapping out the fuel sending unit from the 2004 into the 2008 fix the fuel gauge reporting? Putting a 2005 instrument cluster into a 2003 causes the fuel gauge to perpetually read almost full.