Toyota Nation Forum banner

2 waterpumps later, car still squeaking

3K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  rrichard7 
#1 ·
First off, I have an 07 Corolla S and have had issues with my belt since about 30k miles in. I bought the car brand new and sitting at 51k now.

Here is the short version:

My car squeaks while idle and in drive. It stops squeaking when I push the gas, or put it in park. I have a new belt and new tensioner and that is because all the crap I had to go through which is detailed below.

Does anyone know what issues could cause the car to squeak only while idle? Engine Mount?

Here is the long version:

Years back, belt squeaked loud in wet conditions. I had the serpentine belt replaced and things quieted down.

Last year, I noticed my engine squeaking again, so I brought it to my new mechanic. It only squeaked while idling and I heard it a lot in drive-thrus due to the echo off the buildings.

He noticed the pulley on my water pump was loose and even showed me it had some play in it. I am not 100% sure, but I may have posted about that in this forum. Anyway, he replaced the water pump and belt and off I went.

Shortly after, the squeaking returned. I told him, but he couldn't find it.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed when it actually squeaked and that was when idle in drive holding the brakes. I never got to bring it back before Wednesday happened...

Sitting at a red light, car stalls. I manage to get it going again because it was a main road and started rough driving. When I turned the corner, I could tell my power steering was gone so I knew right away the belt was toast. Got to a safe spot and towed back to mechanic.

He noticed a few things..

-- Belt was obviously destroyed due to me driving while it was off, but I expected that

-- I also noticed the new waterpump pulley was wiggling again and had a break in it (I took a pic and can upload later if requested). Either way, waterpump needed to go (he managed to get the water pump company to replace it for free + labor)

-- He said the tensioner needed to be replaced. The wheel on it barely spun (he said it should spin very freely and showed me it was't.) It was also very stiff and said there was little play in it.

-- The big thing, he also said the AC motor or something like that seizes (he pointed out the metal specs near the AC) and said every time it seizes, it puts a ton of pressure on the small pulley for the water pump. He unplugged the AC and said I can replace it in a few months (I live in New England. Won't need AC)

Well, I left the shop, went back to a drive-thru and heard the squeaking again (!!!!) I took it right back and showed him. He said it isn't the belt and could actually be coming from near the bottom. I'm going to bring it in on Wed morning to have a better listen while it's on the lift, but does anyone know what it could be?

See less See more
#6 ·
Yea, the AC is unplugged.

When I drove back to the mechanic, he and I swapped sitting in the car idle with the brake on. I couldn't really tell where the sound was coming from. If anything, it got a little louder from under the car.

He claims this sound is not the belt, and said if it was, the squeak wouldn't go away when I stepped on the gas, it would get louder. He said something i couldn't quite understand about something near the exhaust (at the engine, not in the back). When stopped, the engine sinks a hair and makes the sound, but when you rev it, the engine will lift and relieve the pressure and squealing.

I have no idea if he's right, but one thing I'm growing confident about is that it's not the belt. That said, I do find it pretty weird to hear squeaks and then break down from belt issues, so I don't know..

I am a bit disappointed. I bought the car brand new because I wanted a reliable car, but have had problems with that stupid belt since.

#4 ·
I am having the same squeek/squeel experience. Just this year i started hearing this noise when in gear and the brakes depressed when waiting on a. redlight and more obvious when beside other vehicles, and walls. And the sound is more excessive when the ac is on and engaging. have it checked twice in the dealership and was not able to diagnose any broken parts. belts ate always fresh with gatorbacks an now gates. will not return to dealership for more diag as vsa agreement just expired. keep us posted with tour findings so i can concentrate on those areas if i have tine to deal with it. good luck and thanks

#9 ·
Metal around the a/c compressor can't be good. I wonder if the pulley is damaged and squealing even though the compressor is not engaged? As mentioned Gatorback belts have a lot better reputation with these cars. I wonder if anybody knows if a non-A/C belt could be used and by-pass the ac compressor altogether? It may still be in the way of the belt, maybe one of the more knowledgeable techs will chime in. I feel your frustration buying a brand new car and having these problems.

#10 ·
@invader - My mechanic did mention something about my exhaust, so you may be right when it comes to my idle squeak.
@charlie - Unfortunately I don't have any tools (or knowledge) to pull the belt off myself
@olbus - Well, he unplugged the AC so from what I understand, the wheel will just free spin unless it's in use. I think he said something about the clutch being bad, and sounded fairly confident as long as it's not used, it won't cause the drag and tugging on the belt. I will be pretty furious if I am broken down again because it wasn't my AC, that's for sure.

#12 ·
have you solve this issue?
Not yet. I took my car in to have him listen for the sound, and of course it did not make it that day. In fact, it's been relatively quiet the past few days, but I know it will start up again. He said when it does, just drive it down and he'll take a listen. He's fairly certain it's in the exhaust but wants to make sure.

One thing I don't agree with is how he said 'they're cars, there are a lot of moving parts, they will make noises from time to time'. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel cars should make a specific noise, otherwise something is starting to go wrong. It's not like a body where you can get a cramp or a sore muscle and stuff inside your body works to repair it.

Mechanical stuff works a specific way, or it doesn't.

I once heard the saying "If it goes away on it's own, it will likely come back on it's own" and that's the motto I've used with really anything mechanical. Machines don't fix themselves.

(That said, occasionally, you will find a temporary problem. For example, during hot days, tar would break free from the ground and stick to my tires. I would swear I had a hole in my tire, but then the sound would eventually go away as the tar wore away.. so there are exceptions to that rule)

#14 ·
@stevebeans "My car squeaks while idle and in drive. It stops squeaking when I push the gas, or put it in park. I have a new belt and new tensioner"

You might want to go back and check your alternator. Motors/Alternators can be quiet at high RPMs and squeal at idle.

In any case, since the squeak is only there when the engine is under light load get someone to help you, and with the car at idle and in drive, see if you can pinpoint the exact location of the squeak. You can use a piece of garden hose one end of which you attach a small funnel. Use the funnel end as your ear piece, BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET IT ANY OF IT CAUGHT IN THE BELT ETC.

#15 ·
I have the same issue with my 07 LE. See "motor mount help." I was trying to solve this problem and it got ugly. After Toyota remedied my mistakes. I still have the squeaks. It occurs at idle, brakes on and in any gear except Park and Neutral. It is most noticeable from the drivers seat and it doesn't happen all the time. Very frustrating.

#18 ·
My 07 LE has 41K miles. New Toyota belt 2 days ago and all on the belt blessed. I still squeak/chirp when in gear and stopped (foot on the brake). I don't notice it cold. I have a 5 mile/20minute commute to work. By the time I get there the car is warm and the squeak/chirp is present. I am beginning to buy into the exhaust - heat shield theory. What really caught my attention with this thread is the OP actually broke down.

#21 ·
Squeeky Corolla

Same problem with my 2003 Corolla. On a day when it's squeaking when the car is in drive pull the emergency brake or get someone to hold the brake while you touch the Exhaust pipe with your shoe. If the squeak/chirp stops it's either the front or rear metallic doughnut gaskets. $30 each.

Mine only squeaked when the exhaust is warm so you had to drive it for a bit to make it happen. Took me 3 years to figure it out.

#25 · (Edited)
#29 ·
I had the same symptoms when my blower was on it's way out. Soon, if it is the blower, it will only with intermittently. The autozone one is 70$. But I did get a lifetime warranty. I may go get a new one soon since mine is acting up. I'll probably do a DIY on it too.

See if hitting on the blower housing changes anything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#30 ·
By Blower, is that under the cabin air filter or under the hood? We stopped my noises today by grabbing the air filter assembly. When in gear, at idle and foot on the brake, the air cleaner looked like it was on a paint shaker. I assumed the bolts were loose but could not check until after work. Bolts are tight so...........I'll look under the air cleaner assembly tomorrow. i wish I could find an exploded view of the area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.