Toyota Nation Forum banner

2007 Corolla, normal engine noise?

18K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  guestdriver1 
#1 ·
I bought a 2007 Corolla a couple months ago and noticed recently that the engine sounds louder and more rattly/knocky than what seems normal to me. Is this the normal engine noise for this car? Does it sound like this because of the variable valve timing? it has 93k miles, no engine lights, plenty of oil, doesn't stall or have any noticeable issues in how it performs, except occasionally takes a little while to start. The last owner said he just replaced the intake manifold gasket, so that shouldn't be an issue. Here's a video.

#3 · (Edited)
#5 ·
Ugh that was what I was afraid of. As for tune up I'm not sure I just got the car a couple months ago. I checked the spark plugs and they look fine. Doesn't sound like and exhaust manifold to me, seems loudest where the intake connects to the engine manifold. As for oil I'm also not sure. What do you think the problem could be?

#6 ·
Possibilities, bad gas, bad plugs, noisy valves, carbon build up in the cylinders, pre-detonation.

I would use 91 octane gasoline, add lucas fuel injector cleaner, run engine oil flush cleaner for 5 minutes, change the oil with high mileage 5w-30, and change the spark plug with OEM Denso plugs.

#8 ·
Yikes your 2016 is having these issues? Did you replace those yourself or have the dealership do it? I would assume it's under warranty so why not have them look at it?

As for mine I brought it to the mechanic and he said it sounded fine. Looked up some other corolla engines online and they sounded similar. Still doesn't sound right to me, but it's still been running fine so I just left it alone.

#9 ·
Nahhh... no warranty for me. The only thing I'm yet to do, is a spark plug change, even though I don't believe it would do any difference. I've heard this is a common issue amongst us corolla owners (rough idle, shaking, loud rattle noice). Some have suggested to try a different coolant and A/C refrigerant.

The car works fine, doesn't do any funny stuff while driving.

I guess I'll have to keep searching for a solution, if there is any. :(

#10 ·
I know this is a year late but thought I would comment for other people searching. My 2006 LE Corolla sounds just like that and based on my research it's the baffles inside the intake rattling around. The rattle should not affect the performance of the car. It is just annoying. The fix seems to be to put a screw where the baffle is to fix it in place but I have not tried it yet.

#21 ·
Just checked it and everything seems to be solid. I'm not sure what you mean by pinned down to upper crossmember.

Other than this noise being little more pronounced and louder than my 03' Corolla,
in general, I think it sounds pretty similar.

It does sound like intake baffle flapping back and forth.
I've seen some videos even on other cars that make the same noise in intake baffle.

At 208K miles on my Corolla, engine still runs fine and I'm not noticing any severe engine/performance issues,
so unless I need to work on the intake manifold, I'm gonna just leave it alone for now.
I put a curved light and mirror into my intake manifold and there are no baffles. The runners go straight to the airbox which eventually lead to the throttle body. Just an FYI. So glad I didn't go drilling holes into my intake manifold. I have the US Corolla LE.

I compared mine to pictures of the international versions and the international versions have a larger plastic area to the right of the intake manifold (looking into the engine from the front of the car). The US version does not have this.

#20 ·
Other than this noise being little more pronounced and louder than my 03' Corolla,
in general, I think it sounds pretty similar.

It does sound like intake baffle flapping back and forth.
I've seen some videos even on other cars that make the same noise in intake baffle.

At 208K miles on my Corolla, engine still runs fine and I'm not noticing any severe engine/performance issues,
so unless I need to work on the intake manifold, I'm gonna just leave it alone for now.

#22 ·
Engine air intake inlet is held down by a plastic push pin, allowing it to rattle. You can replace the push pin with a bolt, washer and nut to hold it on upper crossmember good and tight.

My intake manifold has no visible baffle either. I had already smooth matched the inlet and outlets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.