2007 Toyota Corolla Rough Takeoff - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Corolla 9th Gen/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-19-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2007 Toyota Corolla Rough Takeoff

This is my first post on this website. Fair warning this is my first car and I do not have a lot of prior car repair experience.

Hello all! As the title says I'm having issues with my 2007 Toyota Corolla when taking off from a complete stop. It has a manual transmission and the engine sort of hops as I'm letting off the clutch. I know this sounds a lot like a clutch or engine mount issue but after taking it to a mechanic he told me he wouldn't suspect it was the clutch and all the engine mounts checked out fine. He recommended I replace the spark plugs to start with, which I did on my own. Although the engine runs smoother I'm still having issues at takeoff. I will list all of the things I've noticed about the and hopefully the information will help point towards the issue. Thanks all in advance for any knowledge that can help me solve this issue.

First of all I've noticed that with the colder weather in the middle of May (I live in Colorado) that the engine runs much better, which after some research I am to understand is pretty normal. However there is absolutely no issue with the engine hoping (at least not noticeable) and it just runs so much better. The difference is quite dramatic to me though I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make to somebody who does not drive the car regularly.

Second, after installing an aftermarket stereo and unplugging the battery which reset the ECU the car idle was AWFUL. The whole car vibrated pretty bad and it just felt like the engine was about to die. After driving it for a while its running pretty much like it did before. I know that, that is pretty typical but after doing work on it before the difference was not noticeable. My parent's owned the car before me and sold it to me. Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention before.

Third, we had a check engine light and the code we got from it told us the engine was running lean. My dad was driving it then and he can be a little rough on the car sometimes. I don't know if that would effect it but it doesn't seem to me like it should. The light has since then gone off but I still wonder if there is an vacuum leak somewhere that is bad enough to make it run bad at takeoff but not enough to trigger an error code again.

Fourth, even on hot days the engine doesn't have issue until the engine has warmed up. I suspect that the engine probably runs rough on colder days as well after the engine warms up but I just haven't driven it long enough to warm all the way up with the cooler weather.

I should also note that the car has around 141,000 miles on it.

Again, thanks all in advance for whatever advice you can give me. Hope to get this worked out soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-19-2017, 04:46 PM
MildlyModded

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Possible causes: intake manifold gasket air leak (vacuum leak there or elsewhere), o2 sensors not reading air/fuel mixture properly, MAF sensor faulty or dirty, clogged fuel injector (less likely), faulty TPS sensor...

What is the specific code your car was showing? If the mechanic didn't at least check the code and couldn't tell you what was wrong or at least point you in the right direction, find a new mechanic.

Last edited by StockCorollaLE; 05-19-2017 at 04:50 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-19-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I no longer remember the exact code in all honesty, it was a while ago. We used our own OBD scanner to retrieve it. It just told us the engine was running lean. We didn't clear the code it just went off before we had the chance to take it in and have it looked at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-20-2017, 05:03 AM
Toyota Fanatic

Thanked 3,979 Times in 2,874 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
You need to inspect your intake manifold gasket, which most likely needs to be replaced.

As for the rough idle after a battery reset, that is caused by a dirty throttle body.

Read these threads:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/13...er-thread.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/13...ment-pics.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/13...ning-pics.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/13...-cleaning.html

Once you have tried that, report back.

My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 1JZGTE M/T
2005 Corolla CE 1ZZFE M/T
2005 Sequoia Limited 2UZFE A/T

If I helped out in any way please hit the Thanks button under my post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 9th Gen/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)