1992 Corolla Transmission Problem - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
6th Generation (1988-1992) Specific discussion of the AE92

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-05-2008, 07:31 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
1992 Corolla Transmission Problem

I have 1992 Toyota Corolla DX (FWD, 1.6L engine, 4-speed automatic) with just 104,000 miles. This car has been in my family since new, and it was in a great mechanical and cosmetic condition. Unfortunately, it is highly possible that I seriously damaged transmission.
I was driving home from a bar and just ~1.5 miles from my house the car developed a strange and strong metallic sound. Since it was dangerous to stop the car right the way, I drove it just to make home. As I was pulling in front of my house, the car stole completely. The engine was running smooth, but transmission was making unbelievable grinding metallic noise. I had to push the car for the last 20 yards. After I parked the car, I looked the engine compartment and under the car. I found that all transmission fluid leaked out. The leak was so bad that new fluid leaked out within 2 minutes even though the car was not running anymore. I would appreciate if anyone could give me some idea what could happened and what are the chances that the transmission is completely gone? Does anyone has any idea how much would it cost me to rebuild transmission? Is there a chance that transfer case is also damaged? Has anyone had a similar experience? I love my little baby and I am planning fixing the problem. However, I like to learn a little bit more before getting ripped off. I live in the US (West Lafayette, Indiana), and it would be great if someone could advice me a good repair facility. I am planing to towing the car on Monday to AAMCO, but if someone knows a better place, I would appreciate it. I moved recently here and I am not that familiar with the area.
Cheers to everyone
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2008, 04:57 AM
Senior TN Member

Your leak could have started at rubber hose connection at trans cooler on bottom of radiator. From your description of noise it sounds more like the differential. Here is a link to the BBB in your area. If you use phone book you can check out the track record of local repair shops.

http://indy.bbb.org/WWWRoot/SitePage...e-8f4ba4627537
#3 Old 07-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Senior TN Member

Here is a link to online toyota parts. It has a search to look up the cost of toy parts are if you were buying and doing the labor yourself. Use it as a guide in any quotes you get. The transaxle is the transmission and differential as one unit .

http://www.toyota-parts.com/oem_parts.html
#4 Old 07-06-2008, 06:38 AM
Senior TN Member

Don't know if this is the Ammco you were going to be towed to but if so they have a special offer link for $100 off trans repair.

http://www.aamcolafayettein.com/d5/i...enterNum=13070
#5 Old 07-06-2008, 10:38 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
90 GP. Thanks a lot for your input. I will leave an update as soon as I get news from AAMCO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 6th Generation (1988-1992)