Toyota Nation Forum banner

location of engine coolant temp sensor

37K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  devo 
#1 · (Edited)
(1989 corolla wagon carbed)
Ok I looked all over the place, I went down to the parts store and got the sensor but I cant find it! I looked all over under the distributor next to the fan switch there are only 2 sensors there the fan switch and a small sensor just above the fan switch around 11 0'clock but its tiny compared to the sensor I got from the parts store.
Can any one tell me where the engine coolant temp sensor is located?:headbang:

#4 · (Edited)
As mentioned it is in or around the area of thermostat housing (drivers side of engine).
Follow the radiator hose up to it and you will find it. Be sure to replace the stat and flush the cooling system out and install new coolant. That probably accounts for most of the problems you are having. If the sensor you find in that area is different than the one you were sold they may have given you the wrong one.

#6 ·
Ok I will check on that, the only things I see around that area are temp sending plug (this has a spade connector with only one wire), and the fan switch (round white connector) no temp sensor unless the fan switch is the temp sensor? lol this is confusing!.

what are you trying to fix?

I can look at my 4A-F on an engine stand later and see if I can find it or what you're supposed to be replacing.
Cool thanks I am trying to get rid of some codes
22-engine coolant temp sensor
31-air flow meter signal (vacuum sensor signal)
41-Throttle position sensor

#5 ·
what are you trying to fix?

I can look at my 4A-F on an engine stand later and see if I can find it or what you're supposed to be replacing.

#11 ·
Let me help you out ;)

It is screwed in to the thermostat housing, on the drivers side of the engine head.

It's a bit hard to see, it's under the ignition, but as already mentioned: follow the hose to the thermostat housing and you'll find it ;)

Good luck!

#13 ·
So there is just the temp sender and the fan switch. The sensor they gave me must be for the EFI there is a lot of cross referencing going on at the auto parts store :D ok so I am going to install the fan switch and the sending unit and I need to go get a thermostat too thanks guys I really appreciate:chug: all your help.

Dean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.