Toyota Nation Forum banner

Wiring in 'aftermarket' horns

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  RogueMoog 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I think I did this right. I didn't get it right the first time, and ended up with an extra harness that I made which I'll put to use later down the road. (When I finally get a bush bar with aux and fog lights...)

Anyways I bought a set of horns from Harbor Freight for like $10. A friend of mine has a set in one of his cars and they work fine. So out with the "meep meep!" and in with something a little more respectable sounding ;)

Originally I had the wire from the OEM horn connected to the included 40 amp relay, with another wire connecting the relay to the new horns, and the other two relay connectors linked together and connected to the positive terminal on the battery with an in-line fuse (you can see this in my linked image above). And of course the horns grounded to the metal frame. This is all following the included instructions. Wired like this, when I hit the horn in the car, I could hear the OEM relay clicking but no sound. Why was that? Can't have two relays in line with each other like that? I'm guessing the horn set's relay was not needed? They require a 10 amp fuse, and the OEM horn shares a 15 amp fuse with the hazards.

I hope the horns will be OK because I ended up removing my wire harness to the relay and connecting the OEM horn connector directly to the positives of the horns. (Kind of how it was originally except going to two horns instead of one.) Anyways I was just wondering, did I wire this up properly? I mean the horns work, but will anything be in danger of getting fried?

^ Someday I'll remove that chrome and spray paint the horns black. And fit those ground wires with the sleeves like the rest of the wiring I did, but I need bigger ring connectors for those bolts.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.