Toyota Nation Forum banner

AWD ae92?? FLOCK YES!!!

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Finnish_EK_Racer 
#1 ·
ok so i'm ditching all my other projects to do this wagon like never done before....
with one question.

will an ae92 all-trac drivetrain bolt up directly? and how does the transmission work if i wanted to use a 4agze tranny of 4af trans for the crazy long gears?

#4 ·
You're better off buying a Corolla All-Trac / 4WD and working with it (AE95, BTW). I can't imagine it's worth the time or money converting a FWD sedan or wagon to use the All-Trac drivetrain. In fact, it's probably pointless... you'd be better off trying to swap in something with a lot more power, like a Mitsubishi Evo engine & drivetrain.

As for the tranny, you're stuck with the All-Trac tranny because it has a center diff / transfer case. It's an E-series, but you can't just use a 4A-GZE E-series tranny in place of it. Not that I know of. All-Trac tranny can handle quite a bit anyway, from what I've seen of the Aussie guys' swaps, including one powered by a 4A-GZE.

I want to know if an ST165 or ST185's engine & drivetrain can be swapped into a Corolla All-Trac... :D I think it's been attempted, possibly done, but I can't seem to find info right now. I do know that the tranny/transfer case mounts (to the engine bay) are in the same locations.

#6 ·
if im not mistaken, the center diff/transfercase should unbolt from the trans. and maybe allow a different trans to be used.

as for a ST165/185 fensport UK had one in a AE100 hatchback. so theoretically it will
fit.

http://www.fensport.co.uk/FensportCars/Corolla_SR.aspx

this is what is equivalent to an 8th gen but engine bay wise it's close.

#7 ·
if im not mistaken, the center diff/transfercase should unbolt from the trans. and maybe allow a different trans to be used.
It would be interesting if it was possible. Using an ST165/185 gearbox attached to the Corolla All-Trac's center diff/transfer case would be great. But I'm unlearned about transmission swapping and gearing (as in how the center diff and rear diff will work with another tranny).

#8 ·
i don't have any good pics. but i'm sure there should be a way to get it to work. seems that the transfercase is a bolt on deal and it attaches to the output of the corolla trans. then again there's the GT4 trans that would also have the transfercase. i still kick myself for not checking out the one i saw in the junkyard. ST165 but still. i also heard that if you could find a 1MZ trans it's just as strong as the 3sgte one. that is if you only plan to run FWD. i still want to ALLTRAC my AE102. but i missed an auction on the AE104 rear suspension and cross member i would need to make it work.

#10 · (Edited)
the reason you aren't finding any info is because it's extremely rarely done.... especially since you're just creating something you can buy.

Find an alltrac ae92 and save yourself 3x the cost and 100x the effort.... then if you want more power go forward with fabrication.

If you don't have 100% of the time, effort, money, and skill to fabricate your own custom suspension, chasis, and engine build then you'll quickly find that this project is going to go nowhere.

Although it was being built up as a ridiculous beast.... friend of mine who did the work to build the Celaru (STI drivetrain Celica)... the car owner was probably $40,000 into the car with the builder doing ALL of the custom fabrication himself (costing easily over $10k) and the car was never completed due to costs. You'd essentially be doing the same thing for less power and to create a chasis/car that already exists.

When I said "sigh..." I meant... this clearly isn't the right project.

If you still think you're capable of the task... don't waste your time with ANY ae95 stuff... at all... find a celica alltrac drivetrain and 3sgte & go from there. It will be pointless to build a 1/2 assed ae95 alltrac that can't really take the GZE power & isn't full time awd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.