Toyota Nation Forum banner

how to tension alternator belt?

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  retiredat444 
#1 ·
i know it sounds like a remedial question but, how do you tension the belt? i have a '90 sr5 with a 4afe. all i see is the slider/adjuster bracket thing above the alternator whereas a friends one there is no slider/adjuster bracket. its just bolted straight to the block. i heard im supposed to have 2 bolts. a pivot bolt and the adjuster bolt. but i only see one bolt? i want to put a little more tension on the belt because i can turn the belt a little past 90 degrees. (i dont have a belt tension gauge). however ive put the alternator to its furthest most point as i can on the adjuster bracket. so what gives. i want to know if im doing correctly.

#2 ·
To check tension you press the belt inward at midpoint of length. It should deflect inward approx. 1/2 inch when pressed. You don't check tension by twisting it. On mine to adjust I believe you loosen both upper and lower mount bolts and adjust tensioner and then tighten mounting bolts. If you over tighten tension you risk the bearing failing in the alternator. If you are at the end of adjuster travel already it is either severely overtightened or worn out.

#3 ·
Our belts constantly squeak, but I will not tighten them any more, I don't want to ruin any bearings on the water pump, alternator, power steering or a/c. I spray a little stop squeak on the blets, but they start squeaking again in a couple days... my wife says the noise really bothers her,, but there is not much I can do, short of replacing these belts, but they seem to be in good condtion, I replaced a couple over the years..

I would rather be inconveinced with squeak then ruin bearings..
:dunno:

#4 ·
If you are maxed on the adjuster and your belt is still loose its time to replace it. Also if it squeals. It'll cost you 10 dollars for a belt. There are supposed to be 2 bolts. But if you only have one then maybe you should find the hole where the other bolt goes into the alternator and into the engine and install a new bolt. That way you have a pivot point to make use of your adjuster bracket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.