91 corolla cranks longer to start over when it sits for a day or 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Corolla 6th Generation (1988-1992) Specific discussion of the AE92

 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rookie_One
  • 1 Post By DrZ
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-19-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,855
Thanks: 619
Thanked 60 Times in 51 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
91 corolla cranks longer to start over when it sits for a day or 2

Hello i have a 91 corolla and if i let it sit for a day or 2 the car cranks longer then starts up with a sputter or like a miss. Anyone have this issue? It just started doing this.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
kobej05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 03-19-2017, 09:09 PM
Official TN Member
 
sdspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 817
Thanks: 339
Thanked 353 Times in 267 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobej05 View Post
Hello i have a 91 corolla and if i let it sit for a day or 2 the car cranks longer then starts up with a sputter or like a miss. Anyone have this issue? It just started doing this.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
It's jealous of your T100
sdspeed is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 03-19-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,855
Thanks: 619
Thanked 60 Times in 51 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspeed View Post
It's jealous of your T100
Right lol. Truck never let me down in the 3 yrs i owned it. Had 268k on it just hit 329k.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
kobej05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Corolla Lover
 
Rookie_One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Drummondville
Posts: 972
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Might be normal, since the pressure in the fuel line probably dropped during that time.

Just leave the key at On without starting the engine for about 30 seconds - 1 minutes, giving the time for the pump to build up the pressure again
kobej05 likes this.
Rookie_One is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 03-20-2017, 10:39 PM
Senior TN Member
 
Prizdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,062
Thanks: 9
Thanked 52 Times in 50 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
It's almost always the cold start injector when these cars have trouble cold starting. It would probably benefit from being taken apart and cleaned. Maybe even start by simply dumping seafoam in the gas tank next time you fill up.



1991 Toyota Corolla- 4A-FE, C52 - 250,000+ miles

1990 Toyota Corolla- 4A-FE, A131L - 214,000 miles

1991 Geo Prizm- 4A-FE, A131L - 257,000 miles
Prizdog is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,855
Thanks: 619
Thanked 60 Times in 51 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_One View Post
Might be normal, since the pressure in the fuel line probably dropped during that time.

Just leave the key at On without starting the engine for about 30 seconds - 1 minutes, giving the time for the pump to build up the pressure again
I will try that thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizdog View Post
It's almost always the cold start injector when these cars have trouble cold starting. It would probably benefit from being taken apart and cleaned. Maybe even start by simply dumping seafoam in the gas tank next time you fill up.
Thanks will do i most of the time use shell reg gas and v power. The last oil change which is almost due i had the injector clean treatment. They used this one tool and they hooked it to the booster hose its some strong treatment i had to replace my plugs after.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Last edited by kobej05; 03-20-2017 at 10:46 PM.
kobej05 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 03-21-2017, 12:49 AM
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: S.F. East Bay
Posts: 4,153
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 21
Thanked 494 Times in 444 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_One View Post
Might be normal, since the pressure in the fuel line probably dropped during that time.

Just leave the key at On without starting the engine for about 30 seconds - 1 minutes, giving the time for the pump to build up the pressure again
Except that the ECU doesn't run the fuel-pump unless the engine's spinning. Either starting or actually running.
DannoXYZ is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 03-22-2017, 01:04 AM
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SJ, CA
Posts: 1,300
Thanks: 7
Thanked 54 Times in 52 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Except that the ECU doesn't run the fuel-pump unless the engine's spinning. Either starting or actually running.
I could be wrong, but it probably primes for a few seconds after turning the key on like most other cars, but yea nothing close to 30 seconds or 1 minute!
SuperRA is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 03-23-2017, 08:18 PM
Corolla Lover
 
Rookie_One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Drummondville
Posts: 972
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRA View Post
I could be wrong, but it probably primes for a few seconds after turning the key on like most other cars, but yea nothing close to 30 seconds or 1 minute!
depend on how much fuel is still in the line

But as far as I know, fuel pump is active when you put the key at on, it's the injectors that does not work if the engine is not turning
Rookie_One is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 03-23-2017, 11:12 PM
DrZ
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,793
Thanks: 10
Thanked 240 Times in 218 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_One View Post
depend on how much fuel is still in the line

But as far as I know, fuel pump is active when you put the key at on, it's the injectors that does not work if the engine is not turning
Sorry, but you are wrong. The fuel pump will turn off if the key is ON but the engine is not spinning. This is a safety feature. You don't want the fuel pump spewing gas if you're in an accident and the engine gets hit and ruptures a fuel line.

Also, there is a +B and Fp in the check connector. You have to jump these and turn the key to ON to get the fuel pump to run with engine off. This is used to diagnosis the fuel pump and related issues. If simply turning the key to ON worked there'd be no reason for the +B/Fp.
Prizdog likes this.

1990 Corolla DX sedan, 4A-FE, 3-speed auto A131L
228,000 miles and counting...

1997 Corolla DX sedan, 7A-FE, 4-speed auto A245E
180,000 miles
DrZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 6th Generation (1988-1992)

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Back