Toyota Nation Forum banner

How many go for "Joy Rides" and how long

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  W57thNY 
#1 ·
I live in an area where I can drive in the desert or mountain roads. Paved roads go as high as about 10,000 ft above sea level. I live at 5500 ft in the high desert next to 12,000 ft mountains.

I love to drive. I drove professionally for over 10 years. Mostly large trucks and concrete mixers.

At least once per week I go for a "Joy Ride" I usually drive 1-2 hours. Mileage varies. I was wondering if there are more like me who drive for pleasure. I am a photographer, so I take pictures where I go. Sometimes I just listen to music, and sometimes I like to simply listen to the sounds of the engine and car. I love it. Do you also like to pleasure drive....

#3 · (Edited)
I don't blame you with a commute that far. I used to take my 2002 Tacoma for drives, but the Corolla is much smoother riding and a pleasure to drive. I like the CVT. It seems contrary to a driving enthusiast but I like NOT having to worry about a manual transmission I have driven 10 speeds mostly in trucks. I think there was a 12 speed for a while and also as many might not know.....many large truck now have Allison automatic transmissions. (and other brands) For about 3-4 years I drove a truck with a 6 speed Allison transmission. It was amazing it could withstand the immense weight and stress. I actually tested the first Allison automatic transmissions off road for the company back in 1996. I was working on a LARGE project and it was all off road. They worked out some bugs thanks to me and a few others.

Thanks for the answer.

Sorry I posted in wrong area. It should have been in the lounge not the 11th gen Corolla/Matrix. This applies to all drivers. Not just the same car as I have.

#4 ·
I go for hour drives every so often. I've got a pretty good playground in my backyard where I can have fun driving but still be at the speed limit because it's uphill. Casper mountain has about 2500 or so feet in elevation change from my house. It's not super technical, but it's fun! :grin:

I also go for drives to find new gravel roads to grind on my bike as well as mountain bike trails since I have to fill that itch for dirt after selling my truck.

#5 ·
My previous work had me driving all over California for 4 years. I drove alone going to several work sites where the company technicians were sent to and still enjoy long drives today. It was relaxing driving 200+ miles and great way to see the state; before getting to a site and hearing all the on site drama. I miss having corporate paying for: gas, food, toll and having company vehicles.

#6 ·
I go for drives all the time that are several hours long to even all day. Every so often I'll also go on a 2 day trip to see an area of the NW that I hadn't explored yet. I've also taken many huge road trip from here in Washington State. Several drives back home to New Mexico. California has been done many times too. I drove to Alaska several years ago which was around 6800 miles. Last fall I drove to Key West, FL which was an awesome trip of 8200 miles. I'm planning a trip to Nova Scotia, Canada this fall which will be around 10k miles!!!! :grin:

Reactions: Chris94
#7 ·
Wow! You like to drive more than me and I thought that impossible. Best of luck on your trips and be safe. I am planning to go to Yellowstone park. It's only about 375 miles, but that's a good ride for me. I can't imagine a 6800 mile or 8200 mile trip, but hope I can find money and time to explore the US a little in the future. As for now I will have to take my 10-100 mile joy rides 4-5 times a week.

Reactions: SuperchargedMR2
#10 ·
My joyrides happen to occur while I'm already out doing something, or on my way somewhere. I'll be out, with a destination in mind, and then get side-tracked if I see a road that looks fun to drive, or an area that looks to be worth exploring. Sometimes I'll be out on a roadtrip, and something along the way catches my eye, prompting me to detour, and go exploring. There are other times where I'll set out just to drive, and the drive ends up becoming a road-trip. I've yet to have one of these excursions in my Corolla. Usually, I'm driving the newer of my other cars, or a rental. Still fun nonetheless.

Reactions: nate42nd
#11 · (Edited)
Not so much now. When I first got my license, I would go for a drive for the heck of it. But I've had several jobs over the years where I had to drive, so it's taken the fun out of it, now I see it more as a chore. Although I do tend to go for long drives (road trips) a lot more now than I ever did - either to go for a purpose like a workshop/seminar or to visit family.

I've taken my Tundra towing my 25 foot Airstream travel trailer through a lot of Canada and the US (Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Illionois, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec. And I've taken my 2003 Corolla CE though most of those places too. I got it from my mother because she had a stroke and can't drive anymore. Six months ago, that car had 70,000 kms (44,000 miles). Now it has 101,000 kms (63,000 miles). That's a lot of driving in six months! Almost 20,000 miles or 30,000 kms. Although I put 41,000 kms (26,000 miles) on my Tundra in the first six months I owned it, after I bought it a year ago, much of that towing my trailer. With the cost of gas, I try to use the Corolla as much as possible now.

In my previous 2010 Corolla S and 2006 Matrix, I've travelled most of the eastern seaboard and nearby states and provinces... New York, Vermont, Quebec, Ontario, New Jersey, Delaware, Rhode Island, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee and a few other states and provinces mentioned above. Some of those road trips were for fun, others were out of necessity. I still enjoy a nice road trip, as long as I'm not in a race against the clock to get there or have to worry about the cost of gas. Nothing more fun than seeing the landscape change as you drive a few hours, and even better when you can take the time to go on some nice secondary roads and see the scenery. I'd love to take Route 66 in its entirety. Tried it a few times, but it's hard to follow it when you're driving solo, even harder when towing a trailer. And I'm not so much into driving for an hour or two locally. When I drive locally, it's only because I have to.

#12 ·
I've taken my Tundra towing my 25 foot Airstream travel trailer through a lot of Canada and the US (Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Illionois, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec. And I've taken my 2003 Corolla CE though most of those places too. I got it from my mother because she had a stroke and can't drive anymore. Six months ago, that car had 70,000 kms (44,000 miles). Now it has 101,000 kms (63,000 miles). That's a lot of driving in six months! Almost 20,000 miles or 30,000 kms. Although I put 41,000 kms (26,000 miles) on my Tundra in the first six months I owned it, after I bought it a year ago, much of that towing my trailer. With the cost of gas, I try to use the Corolla as much as possible now.

Dude - I'm jealous of you with the Airstream. I'd love to have one, one of these days, and tow it behind an older restored Suburban, Grand Wagoneer, or Land Cruiser...there's just something that looks right (like they were designed to go together) about using one of those as a tow vehicle.

#13 · (Edited)
Looove to drive!

I've always loved to drive. I remember as a newly-licensed teenager, I'd beg my parents for a few $ to just go drive around or go on short (50-100 miles) road trips to visit friends, etc. Then I went through my hot-rod phase, culminating in a tricked out '79 Trans-Am T/A 6.6 with a Borg-Warner Super T-10 four-speed. As I grew older, I transitioned from hot-rodding around with the loudest exhaust note tolerable to law enforcement to wanting a quiet, smooth, reliable, economical ride. I used to drive a stretch of I-155 from southeast Missouri to Dyersburg, TN that stayed mostly deserted. I'd cruise that scenic highway in my Lexus ES 300 occasionally interrupting the serene quietness with a little classic rock or even a bit of Mozart. It was wonderful! But then I got married and I swapped the Lexus for a '06 Corolla and have been Corolla-ing ever since. Nice long rides in the Corolla were possible because of the Corolla's economical nature. I'm loving the nice interstate cruises in my '15 S Plus. Not as quiet as the Lexus but so much better in other ways!

Reactions: nate42nd
#14 ·
Every two weeks or so I return to my old hometown to visit family and friends. A 97 mile journey, 78 of which is plain highway. Haven't taken the freeway in a few months now, been sticking to the old main roads running beside the freeway. If you've ever watched the Top Gear episode where May was visiting Finland, it's pretty much like the back road he was using as an example; curvy, with a ton of hidden dips and hills, occasionally switching to gravel.

And the fact that it's mostly desolate thanks to the freeway let's you reach speeds excess of 100 mp/h, even with a 1.6 Corolla. If you feel like it, that is. Still prefer just cruising down it at my own pace.

#15 · (Edited)
^

haha i love how you worded that. Makes the 97 miles sound like a cross country endeavor through trackless wilds and perils... xD

I drive 100 miles round trip for work every day. On the weekends that i want to "joy ride", i drive upwards or downwards of 500 miles round trip to remote towns in the Adirondacks of NY for no other purpose than driving the mountain roads, hiking, fishing, and being me....

Sometimes as was said above, i will be on my way somewhere and just decide to "Take the long way home" lol. Given that i live in a very rural area, i can just diddy over onto a side rode very easily and set the cruise control on 40mph, and just enjoy the ride with the windows down and sunroof back. Oh, and shades on. Gotta have them shades.

#19 ·
I drive 300-400 miles a day in my work Monday - Thursday.

On the weekends, my wife and I love hitting the two lanes and cruising small towns in the hill country or heading down to Padre Island Great fun. Life is short!

#20 ·
Wow, that's a lot of driving! More than the average person drives. Probably works out to about 70,000 miles a year. It would take the average drive about 5 or 6 years to drive that far. I love road trips too.

#22 ·
I went on my big trip to the east coast last month. I traveled over 9300 miles. I've now driven my Corolla in every state except Hawaii. I also walked in all 5 great lakes on my drive. This are the states I drove through in order.

1. Washington
2. Oregon
3. Idaho
4. Utah
5. Wyoming
6. Nebraska
7. Kansas
8. Missouri
9. Arkansas
10. Tennessee - Drove the "Tail of the Dragon" & other roads in the Smokey Mountains
11. North Carolina
12. South Carolina
13. North Carolina
14. Virginia
15. West Virginia
16. Maryland
17. Delaware
18. New Jersey
19. New York - Explored NYC & Manhattan at 2am - 4am.
20. Connecticut - Got a tour of Turbokits shop and warehouse. Saw the turbo kit for my Corolla. That may be next! >:D
21. Rhode Island
22. Massachusetts
23. New Hampshire
24. Maine
25. New Brunswick, Canada
26. Nova Scotia, Canada
27. New Brunswick, Canada
28. Maine
29. New Hampshire - Drove to the top of Mt. Washington
30. Vermont
31. New York - Went to Niagara Falls
32. Pennsylvania
33. Ohio - Went to the Pro Football Hall of Fame
34. Indiana
35. Michigan
36. Wisconsin
37. Minnesota
38. North Dakota
39. Montana
40. Idaho
41. Washington
42. Oregon
43. Washington and finally home!

My Corolla ran great. I got between 30-40 mpg depending on speed, wind and rain. I love long road trips and seeing places and things I've never seen before. The USA has so much to see so get out there! I've been to every state in the US and I feel pretty lucky. I feel like I live in the best place of them all as Washington has so much to offer and amazing roads to drive. Get the hammer down people! Here is a pic next to Lake Superior.

Reactions: SupremeCorolla451
#24 ·
I went on my big trip to the east coast last month. I traveled over 9300 miles. I've now driven my Corolla in every state except Hawaii. I also walked in all 5 great lakes on my drive. This are the states I drove through in order.

1. Washington
2. Oregon
3. Idaho
4. Utah
5. Wyoming
6. Nebraska
7. Kansas
8. Missouri
9. Arkansas
10. Tennessee - Drove the "Tail of the Dragon" & other roads in the Smokey Mountains
11. North Carolina
12. South Carolina
13. North Carolina
14. Virginia
15. West Virginia
16. Maryland
17. Delaware
18. New Jersey
19. New York - Explored NYC & Manhattan at 2am - 4am.
20. Connecticut - Got a tour of Turbokits shop and warehouse. Saw the turbo kit for my Corolla. That may be next! >:D
21. Rhode Island
22. Massachusetts
23. New Hampshire
24. Maine
25. New Brunswick, Canada
26. Nova Scotia, Canada
27. New Brunswick, Canada
28. Maine
29. New Hampshire - Drove to the top of Mt. Washington
30. Vermont
31. New York - Went to Niagara Falls
32. Pennsylvania
33. Ohio - Went to the Pro Football Hall of Fame
34. Indiana
35. Michigan
36. Wisconsin
37. Minnesota
38. North Dakota
39. Montana
40. Idaho
41. Washington
42. Oregon
43. Washington and finally home!

My Corolla ran great. I got between 30-40 mpg depending on speed, wind and rain. I love long road trips and seeing places and things I've never seen before. The USA has so much to see so get out there! I've been to every state in the US and I feel pretty lucky. I feel like I live in the best place of them all as Washington has so much to offer and amazing roads to drive. Get the hammer down people! Here is a pic next to Lake Superior.
Looks like quite an adventure! You'll have to let me know if you make it through VA again.

#23 ·
My love of driving is what lead me to buy a 6th gen corolla wagon with manual 5 speed. It's only got ~100hp, but at only 2500 lbs, it's pretty zippy and fun to drive.

I haven't gone on any adventures in it yet. I live in the north west houston area and we've got some relativly nice back roads a bit further out. I've got a motorcycle, so I know some pretty good roads. I took a friends '97 nissan maxima out for a ride; that was fun - nice tight suspension, a real performance car for the masses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.