Sunroof Shattered - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix General Discussion Forum A place to discuss all things 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 49 Old 03-15-2012, 12:58 AM
Diehard Rams Fan

Thanked 1,202 Times in 1,083 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeLaRae View Post
Wouldn't you hear a ping if a rock or something hit your roof? There was nothing but the explosion that scared me so bad I thought I blew a tire...I don't get it...I had a Hyndai Sonata for years it had a sunroof and the car is still running and has NEVER had a problem with the glass cracking or breaking it is a 2002...if the aerodynamics of the Toyota Prius is such that the sunroof glass can shatter so easily...then you would think that they would find a better shape or better glass to use...this has made me "gun-shy" as to driving this car now cause if it happened once...it can happen again if the same type of glass is used as the replacement...I may trade this car in for something else thats not a toyota.
This has happened to every brand of car on the road, just because it never happened to your other car doesn't mean anything.

89 Supercharged White MR2 MT/09 Corolla S CSM MT/08 Yaris HB MT
94 Corolla DX Red MT/95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/07 Corolla CE CSM MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 03-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Some kind of... TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
since this thread is back

what if there was a tiny bit of spark plug ceramic that flicked up (for whatever reason, and whatever that ceramic was doing on the road) and hulk smashed the glass...

->

odds of random spark plug ceramic on road instead of rock...

2010 White Corolla S:
LED Footwells/Interior/Fogs DRL/VIP Puddle Lights,MH1 Retrofit DDM-6K, Dipped Emblems+Rear Diffuser
Go UCF Knights!
post #33 of 49 Old 03-16-2012, 02:37 AM
Diehard Rams Fan

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Almost anything on the road is possible.

94 Corolla DX Red MT/95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/07 Corolla CE CSM MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Banned

A small scratch or chip or defect in the glass could cause the glass to explode if the stress is just right. The OEM will likely side with a rock theory because their glass comes from a reputable maker and is handled via strict controls. Tint can also make sunroof glass explode. Sounds like an insurance claim to me.
post #35 of 49 Old 07-24-2012, 10:41 AM
New TN User

Angry Sunroof Exploded Also - 2010 Highlander Ltd in AZ 7/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesilver34 View Post
I was driving home at 70-75 mph on the highway last night when I hear this explosion, like a gun shot, scared the crap out of me. I pulled back the visor to the sunroof and see that it is completly shattered.

I have a 2010 S that I bought less than 2 months ago. It was a very hot day, 94 degress per the trip computer. There was no one in front of me and not an underpass in sight.

I was close to the dealership that I bought the car from and drove it straight there. The service manager came out and looked at it. He said that it must have been a rock that hit it and caused it to shatter. HUH!
I can't beleive that a rock can hit a sunroof going that fast on the highway. It would have had to be big enough to overcome the airflow over the car and something that big I should have notice flying at me. I should play the lottery because the odds of something hitting it have to be very slim. Am I crazy?

He quoted me $750 for the repair! I tried to plead my case and he told me that they would check the contents of the visor and see if there are any rocks (or meteors from space) in there and if not he would contact Toyota to see if they would cover it.

I tried to research it and found some similar stories with other cars. Most of their dealerships replaced it without a problem. I can't beleive Toyota is giving me a problem about this. They wouldn't even give me a loaner, told me it was $37 a day.

Has anyone heard of this before or have any advice? Should I call Toyota myself?
SEE BELOW - SAME PROBLEM AND SYMPTOMS ON MY 2010 HIGHLANDER:
Outdoor temp 94 degrees F, entering freeway at 45-50, NO cars around me, watching road ahead - no debris...suddenly a very loud scary gun shot-like explosion. No where above or nearby for any shooter though. Pulled off to check vehicle - not a single mark anywhere on the body or undercarriage. Finally looked at roof and found sunroof shattered. Interestingly there were two long parallel ragged cracks about 7 inches apart running from left to right edges of the sun roof glass. One crack was 5/8 inches from the front of the glass and running all the way across it. The other was in the middle all the way across the glass and the back portion of the glass was raised 3/8" above the glass on the front side of the crack. No marks on the roof anywhere, no holes in the inside sunroof cover, glass lifted upward not broken downward, multiple long cracks, and not a bullet-like hole or appearance of a stone's damage. I don't believe any object could have gotten high enough and then come down with enough velocity to shatter the glass (upward) in the way it did and without any other damage on the whole vehicle. Dealer reps looked at it and acted bewildered - apparently too complicated or rare to make a warranty decision right away. I later researched the problem on the Internet finding many similar occurrences. I guess I'll find out soon whether Toyota is covering the replacement. If not, hopefully they will provide a professional WRITTEN analysis and a logical basis for their findings and conclusions.
post #36 of 49 Old 07-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Interesting thread.

Dunno if this is related but if your car's sunroof was non-factory installed (installed by dealer) there's a Webasto Sunroof recall so check here.

Also, this is more common than you think Read news story here.

Last edited by Oz_TCH; 07-24-2012 at 11:09 AM.
post #37 of 49 Old 07-24-2012, 01:01 PM
New TN User

Angry FACTORY Sunroof Exploded - 2010 Highlander LTD

Under warranty - Factory Sunroof. Ironically, our sunroof ion both of our Toyotas are never used! Too hot in AZ and the air is too polluted.
post #38 of 49 Old 07-28-2012, 08:34 PM
New TN User

I have heard of this happening before and it is usually an imperfection in the glass and not a rock or anything else. Years ago I had a Ford Probe and slammed the door shut and my window completely shattered. Same kind of story, hot day and nothing else around. Heck the car wasn't moving so what could do that do a window outside of an actual gun.

Also wouldn't put this on Toyota. Willing to bet if you hit up other car forums, you would find similar stories.
post #39 of 49 Old 07-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Diehard Rams Fan

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona-Etch View Post
Under warranty - Factory Sunroof. Ironically, our sunroof ion both of our Toyotas are never used! Too hot in AZ and the air is too polluted.
It's only too hot in the summer, during the cooler months it would be very nice to use.

post #40 of 49 Old 09-23-2012, 11:35 AM
New TN User

Exploding Venza tilting portion of sunroof

Yesterday, September 22, 2012, I experienced an explosion of the tilting portion of my panoramic sunroof. The car is a 2012 Toyota Venza. No cars or trucks or overpass was around me when I heard the explosion. I have 2 parallel jagged lines going across the glass. I took it to the dealer but they said it was not possible to explode on its own and it must have been a rock so I have to go through my insurance. I'm frustrated that I have to pay $250 deductible that I know was a manufacturing defect after I researched and found hundreds with the same experience. I have a glass company coming tomorrow. I pray that the tint will be a match. My next car will not have a sunroof.
post #41 of 49 Old 09-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzakarian View Post
Yesterday, September 22, 2012, I experienced an explosion of the tilting portion of my panoramic sunroof. The car is a 2012 Toyota Venza. No cars or trucks or overpass was around me when I heard the explosion. I have 2 parallel jagged lines going across the glass. I took it to the dealer but they said it was not possible to explode on its own and it must have been a rock so I have to go through my insurance. I'm frustrated that I have to pay $250 deductible that I know was a manufacturing defect after I researched and found hundreds with the same experience. I have a glass company coming tomorrow. I pray that the tint will be a match. My next car will not have a sunroof.
is it just oem glass or was there a tint film applied? spontaneous glass fracture is not common but can happen on rare occasion due to a defect in the glass that causes stress to rise to a point of breakage. small scratches in glass can cause the glass to "explode", i witnessed this in one of my material sciences labs many moons ago, the the surface scratching was only from a scotch-brite pad.

only a good failure analysis company can do the work needed to determine what happened, but only if you have all/most of the pieces.

my advice, get your deductible down to $100, then it wont seem so bad.
post #42 of 49 Old 09-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
this happened alot to the 2005-6 scion tc. toyota had a recall and all they did was put a film behind the glass that tilted up. They did this so the glass wouldnt get into the car when it broke.
post #43 of 49 Old 06-27-2014, 10:50 AM
New TN User

This just happened to our 2012 Toyota Prius on Monday June 23, 2014. My wife was driving to work with no one around her, in front to the back or on the side and there was no overpass in sight. She called hysterically and said that her sunroof cracked with an explosion sound that actually jolted her car. After she sent pictures you could tell that this was not hit by an object as the shards of glass remaining was pointed in a funnel formation pointing up leading me to believe that it came from the inside out. If it was hit by a rock the shards of glass would have went inward. Not only did it create a hole on the passengers side it shattered the drivers side roof from front to back. After taking it to the dealership the service manager insisted that it was an object that hit the roof and continued to give her the run around. I got involved and talked with the general manager and explained what took place as he looked at the car and called the Toyota field manager to investigate. The GM was kind enough to give her a loaner car at no cost. Another manager called back a couple days later and explained that this was a mystery. I explained that this was not a mystery and to google sunroof explosions as there are other vehicles reporting the same thing. He went on to say that this is the first he has seen for the Prius. My response was that it was the first reported without being badgered into them convincing me or my wife that it was caused by an object hitting the car. the dealership wants to pay for half the cost to replace the roof. I am not going for half as Toyota need to be responsible for the entire repair as this was no fault of my wife or anything that we may have done to create this unfortunate event from happening. I explained that the dealership is not at fault either, its a defect within the build or materials (tempered glass) by Toyota or other vehicle brands. they went on to say it was due to the heat and airflow. If this is the case then why did we buy the vehicle with a solar panel on top to support the vehicle from getting too hot on the inside, this is what this feature is suppose to eliminate from happening. Toyota needs to step up and do the right thing as there offer of covering half is unacceptable and I should not have to file an insurance claim and pay my 200 dollar deductible in order to get the vehicle repaired. Step up Toyota and do the right thing and do a factory recall before someone gets seriously hurt. Disappointed for sure...
post #44 of 49 Old 06-28-2014, 02:30 AM
Diehard Rams Fan

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore1965 View Post
This just happened to our 2012 Toyota Prius on Monday June 23, 2014. My wife was driving to work with no one around her, in front to the back or on the side and there was no overpass in sight. She called hysterically and said that her sunroof cracked with an explosion sound that actually jolted her car. After she sent pictures you could tell that this was not hit by an object as the shards of glass remaining was pointed in a funnel formation pointing up leading me to believe that it came from the inside out. If it was hit by a rock the shards of glass would have went inward. Not only did it create a hole on the passengers side it shattered the drivers side roof from front to back. After taking it to the dealership the service manager insisted that it was an object that hit the roof and continued to give her the run around. I got involved and talked with the general manager and explained what took place as he looked at the car and called the Toyota field manager to investigate. The GM was kind enough to give her a loaner car at no cost. Another manager called back a couple days later and explained that this was a mystery. I explained that this was not a mystery and to google sunroof explosions as there are other vehicles reporting the same thing. He went on to say that this is the first he has seen for the Prius. My response was that it was the first reported without being badgered into them convincing me or my wife that it was caused by an object hitting the car. the dealership wants to pay for half the cost to replace the roof. I am not going for half as Toyota need to be responsible for the entire repair as this was no fault of my wife or anything that we may have done to create this unfortunate event from happening. I explained that the dealership is not at fault either, its a defect within the build or materials (tempered glass) by Toyota or other vehicle brands. they went on to say it was due to the heat and airflow. If this is the case then why did we buy the vehicle with a solar panel on top to support the vehicle from getting too hot on the inside, this is what this feature is suppose to eliminate from happening. Toyota needs to step up and do the right thing as there offer of covering half is unacceptable and I should not have to file an insurance claim and pay my 200 dollar deductible in order to get the vehicle repaired. Step up Toyota and do the right thing and do a factory recall before someone gets seriously hurt. Disappointed for sure...
The most difficult part of this is trying to figure out what happened. Could it be a defect in the glass? Sure, glass is far from a perfect product. Could something have hit it? Maybe, hard to say for sure from a dealer stand point. The easiest thing is to let the insurance repair it, that's why we all have insurance, to help with the unexpected.

post #45 of 49 Old 06-28-2014, 08:47 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I tend to think it's more of like what happened to me years ago. If the glass at some time gets a small crack in it, almost undetectable, and then when it gets hot and really builds up pressure when the windows are closed and then you throw in turning on the A/C on that hot day they can shatter. The chip or crack could have been from a previous Rock, hail, who knows what. I had it happen on my Windshield years ago. I had a small chip at the bottom of my windshield. I parked at work, and it was a really hot day, when I came out my windshield was completely shattered.. One of the crack lines went right down to the chip. That chip had been there for months...it just took the right conditions....

2011 Corolla S
2007 Harley Street Glide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix General Discussion Forum