Toyota Nation Forum banner

How to Remove Center Cupholders ?

35K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  c_huynh32 
#1 ·
Trying to clean up the car before our vacation and was wondering how to take out the cupholders in the center console so that I could wash them in the sink.

I've found this much easier than trying to wipe them out while in the car in prior vehicles.

Thanks
Eric

#4 ·
Here ya go ;)

Taking the Console apart:
1. Place car in neutral and set the e-brake (I realized I needed to do this when I got to step 5)

2. Disconnect negative terminal on the battery.

3. Remove both bottom side trims starting from the top (where Im pulling in the pic) and pulling outward towards the bottom where the shifter is located.

4. Using a Philips screwdriver, unscrew the 2 screws on either side of the dash bezel.

5. Remove the shifter trim by starting from the bottom and working your way up to the cigarette lighter compartment. Don’t pull it out all the way, just get the shifter trim out of the sockets its locked in to. Flip up the tray that has the cig lighter to make removing it easier.

6. Remove the white cigarette lighter plug from the back. Just push the clip in and pull it out.

7. Cigarette lighter plug removed.

8. Now you can pull out the whole shifter trim.

9. Open up your center storage console. Take your flathead screwdriver and pry up the area shown in the picture (I didn’t have a flathead so I used a carving tool :thumbsup:)

10. Lift up the cup holder console starting from the back and working toward the shifter. The whole thing is attached to the e-brake boot so it slides out of the e-brake. Nows also a good time to clean that damn e-brake boot too.

#5 ·
Here ya go ;)

Taking the Console apart:
1. Place car in neutral and set the e-brake (I realized I needed to do this when I got to step 5)

2. Disconnect negative terminal on the battery.

3. Remove both bottom side trims starting from the top (where Im pulling in the pic) and pulling outward towards the bottom where the shifter is located.

4. Using a Philips screwdriver, unscrew the 2 screws on either side of the dash bezel.

5. Remove the shifter trim by starting from the bottom and working your way up to the cigarette lighter compartment. Don’t pull it out all the way, just get the shifter trim out of the sockets its locked in to. Flip up the tray that has the cig lighter to make removing it easier.

6. Remove the white cigarette lighter plug from the back. Just push the clip in and pull it out.

7. Cigarette lighter plug removed.

8. Now you can pull out the whole shifter trim.

9. Open up your center storage console. Take your flathead screwdriver and pry up the area shown in the picture (I didn’t have a flathead so I used a carving tool :thumbsup:)

10. Lift up the cup holder console starting from the back and working toward the shifter. The whole thing is attached to the e-brake boot so it slides out of the e-brake. Nows also a good time to clean that damn e-brake boot too.

#6 ·
I just spray the some cleaner in the cup holder s & wipe clean. Than I use a q-tip to clean the edges that my finger can't reach well. :thumbsup: Much quicker than pulling apart the dash to pull out the cup holders. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.