Road Trips - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix General Discussion Forum

10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix General Discussion Forum A place to discuss all things 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Rental or Drive?
Rent a vehicle 3 14.29%
Take the Corolla 18 85.71%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #31 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $321700
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View joyridin''s Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
I've only had to get to 3rd gear on the very steepest of hills. On most grades I can be in 4th & it will hold a speed of around 60 mph without issue. In the rolling hills it will hold speeds of 70-75 mph without problems. Maybe my Borla exhaust & Takeda intake help at the higher speeds.

I was just reading about a 72 Mercedes with a V8 & 230 HP that did 0-60 in 9.5 seconds, my Corolla is faster then that. I think too many people get consumed with not enough power. The Corolla has enough power for most any driving situation. If it takes a little longer to get up a very steep grade it won't kill any of us.
I took my wife, daughter, and a load of crap from Ohio to Myrtle Beach last Summer. There are a lot of hills through West Virginia and Kentucky. I had the car in 5th gear doing 70-75 without a problem. If I had to slow to 60, it dropped below 3k RPM and kind of killed it for a bit.

I got 37 mpg there and back. For the SMALL inconvenience, I was a happy camper. My bro-in-law had a Chevy truck and followed. He used 3x the gas I did.
joyridin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #32 (permalink)
New TN User

View etho1416's Photo Gallery
My 09 Corolla is incredibly uncomfortable on any drive over 2 hours. They really cheaped out on the seats compared to the 2005 I occasionally drive. The seats look the same but you can feel the difference in the cushioning material.

I would rent a car (and I am selling my corolla as soon as it is paid off, been nothing but trouble).
etho1416 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #33 (permalink)
E-Town GoldRolla

Gameroom cash: $103170
View Andriy242's Photo Gallery
Over all and all I say take the rolla if 3-4 people with normal luggage.

I drove last winter in February from Edmonton to Vancouver which is around 1200km one way. And i will be doing the same trip again this february with my girl and I.

Why should I take the rolla? Great on gas, very light on the highway and in the mountains and still comfy enough to drive a long distance.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View trlhiker's Photo Gallery
I will be taking a trip fromeastern NC to Denver this summer. Its about 1800 miles each way and the choice is either the corolla or my wife's CRV. 38mpg vs 26mpg. the farthest I have driven in the corolla is 5 hours and only 4 hours in the CRV so I am a bit concerned about how the seats will feel after 2 12 hour days.

Last edited by trlhiker; 01-05-2013 at 06:20 PM.
trlhiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #35 (permalink)
Diehard Rams Fan

Gameroom cash: $1840566
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
View SuperchargedMR2's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I will be taking a trip fromeastern NC to Denver this summer. Its about 1800 miles each way and the choice is either the corolla or my wife's CRV. 38mpg vs 26mpg. the farthest I have driven in the corolla is 5 hours and only 4 hours in the CRV so I am a bit concerned about how the seats will feel after 2 12 hour days.
You won't know until you try. I have had no problem in my Corolla S on a 16 hour day of driving.

SuperchargedMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperchargedMR2 For This Useful Post:
trlhiker (01-06-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix General Discussion Forum