2009 Corolla key question - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix General Discussion Forum

10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix General Discussion Forum A place to discuss all things 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Auroraboy's Photo Gallery
Canada 2009 Corolla key question

Hello. New member here. I just picked up a used 2009 Corolla CE with 20,000 km on it. Unfortunately one of the keys is not working properly.

The keys are the NON smart keys - they are bladed with 4 remote function buttons (lock, unlock, trunk, panic). The one key would not unlock the car, so I opened it up thinking it was just a dead battery. The battery was fine, but the metal clip battery holder had become detached from the contact points on the circuit board. I soldered the battery holder back on to the board, but now when I press any button, the LED keeps flashing and the car alarm goes off.

The defective key (without the plastic battery module inside) will start the car fine, because the immobilizer chip is imbedded in the plastic body of the key itself.

What I need is a replacement module for the remote functions, from inside the key - i.e. the plastic piece that splits apart and holds the battery and circuit board. The description of the module is FCC ID: GQ4-29T and ID 1470A-10T.

Can I use any innards from a similar key (eBay used etc.), or do I need a module with the same FCC ID numbers?

Another thought - maybe the key needs to be 'reprogrammed'? (key in ignition, close door 2x etc. etc.)

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Auroraboy; 12-02-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Auroraboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $554295
View msncorolla422's Photo Gallery
I had a similar issue. my batter prongs on the circuit board fell off and had to re solder it back on but mine works just fine. However I don't have an alarm is that does make a difference. I would try to stick as close as possible to that FCC ID. I dont think the module needs to be reprogrammed. Hopefully it didn't get too hot when you resoldered it and damaged the circuit board
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

Update

Went to two local Toyota dealers. They will sell me a replacement blank key with transponder chip and 4 remote functions for $150 (I think) plus the cost to cut the key, program the immobilizer chip, and program the remote for more money, so it would end up costing about $350.

Instead I ordered a used key with the identical FCC GQ4-29T chip for $22 from an eBay seller. Hopefully I can then just transfer the innards to my key.

The Toyota dealer quoted $50 just to program the remote functions. I mentioned that the forums talked about programming it yourself by inserting key, opening doors etc. He said to try it, but he had never heard of that.

We'll see what happens when the used key arrives.

Last edited by Auroraboy; 12-03-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $554295
View msncorolla422's Photo Gallery
good plan and good luck! yeah $350 is ridiculous for a key sheeeesh.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Gameroom cash: $995221
Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,169 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
View heartdisease's Photo Gallery
They know they have people and gouge them imho. Most people need a key now and are not going to dig around on the internet or wait on a possibly wrong or junk key from e-bay.

When we bought our 13 Altima they even tried to sell us insurance for a lost key. Talk about nerve. Insurance so you don't get gouged by us!
heartdisease is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diehard Rams Fan

Gameroom cash: $1840566
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
View SuperchargedMR2's Photo Gallery
My dealer programmed a new key for my 2007 Corolla for free. I bought the key for $80 & they cut it for free too. When I bought it it only had one key.

SuperchargedMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroraboy View Post
Went to two local Toyota dealers. They will sell me a replacement blank key with transponder chip and 4 remote functions for $150 (I think) plus the cost to cut the key, program the immobilizer chip, and program the remote for more money, so it would end up costing about $350.

Instead I ordered a used key with the identical FCC GQ4-29T chip for $22 from an eBay seller. Hopefully I can then just transfer the innards to my key.

The Toyota dealer quoted $50 just to program the remote functions. I mentioned that the forums talked about programming it yourself by inserting key, opening doors etc. He said to try it, but he had never heard of that.

We'll see what happens when the used key arrives.

UPDATE - JAN 6, 2013 - I finally got the used key I ordered from eBay. I took the module from inside this key and put it into my non functioning key, and followed the steps from this link:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/32...a-corolla.html

Voila - worked like a charm on my second try. Now I have a fully functioning remote again, without having to go to a dealer to get it programmed. Print out the instructions and follow them exactly, step by step.
If you need an all new key (i.e. you lost yours) you may still need to go to the dealer to get the immobilizer chip programmed. It is imbedded in the plastic of the key itself.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $763537
View cabur's Photo Gallery
Quote:
UPDATE - JAN 6, 2013 - I finally got the used key I ordered from eBay. I took the module from inside this key and put it into my non functioning key, and followed the steps from this link:

Voila - worked like a charm on my second try. Now I have a fully functioning remote again, without having to go to a dealer to get it programmed. Print out the instructions and follow them exactly, step by step.
If you need an all new key (i.e. you lost yours) you may still need to go to the dealer to get the immobilizer chip programmed. It is imbedded in the plastic of the key itself.
That's great. Thanks for sharing the feed back.

LE, Smart Key, Limousine tint, Back-up camera and sensor. M.I.C. 7" DVD.
cabur is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diehard Rams Fan

Gameroom cash: $1840566
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
View SuperchargedMR2's Photo Gallery
Quote:

I tried similar directions for my 2007 but it never worked. I'm glad that you had better results. I was just happy that the dealer didn't charge me to code it.

SuperchargedMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:

Update 2 - I guess I should not have been so excited. The "new" key works fine after following the instructions, however my original working key now no longer works. I'll try to program that tonight, and see if I can get two working keys. If not - I guess it's off to the dealer.............. More to come.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

Smile

Quote:
Update 2 - I guess I should not have been so excited. The "new" key works fine after following the instructions, however my original working key now no longer works. I'll try to program that tonight, and see if I can get two working keys. If not - I guess it's off to the dealer.............. More to come.
Update 3 - I figured out how to get both remotes programmed (new and original). I have modified the previous instructions that someone else provided, to make it a little clearer.

HOW TO PROGRAM A REMOTE CONTROL FOR A 2009 COROLLA:

If 10 seconds or more elapse between any of the following steps, you will need to start all over again. Prepare vehicle by closing and locking all doors except the driver’s door. It should be open and unlocked.

1) Stick key in and out of the ignition cylinder TWICE, without turning it.

2) Close and open the Driver’s door TWICE, ending in an OPEN door.

3) Stick key in and out of the ignition cylinder ONCE, without turning it.

4) Close and open the driver’s door TWICE, ending in an OPEN door.

5) Stick the key in the ignition cylinder. (Do not remove or turn the key)

6) Close the Driver’s Door.

7) Turn the key in the ignition on and off TWICE, then remove the key from the ignition. (At this point if every step was done correctly, all doors will lock and unlock twice to let you know the system has entered the “Add Key” mode).

8) Press both the Lock and Unlock buttons on your remote simultaneously for one second.

9) Within three seconds, Press the Lock button on your remote for one second and release. (Vehicle will beep twice to let you know it has accepted the new remote).

NOTE: Perform steps #8 and 9 during the same programming session, for two remotes (including original) to get them both to work.

10) To exit the “Add Key” mode, open and close the door. Test your remotes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Auroraboy For This Useful Post:
cabur (01-07-2013), hockeylfe11 (02-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix General Discussion Forum