Venza road/wind noise??? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Venza road/wind noise???

I have read several reviews on the Venza that gave not so favorable comments on the road and wind noise experienced in the Venza. I purchased a fully loaded Barcelona Red 6 Cyl. FWD 3 weeks ago and I could not be more pleased with every aspect of the Venza, including the road noise, or should I say lack of road noise. I was wondering what the reviewers were comparing to the Venza for road noise comparison, but you know everyone has their own opinion and that is to be respected. All I know is that if I could add only one thing to my Venza for improvement it would be a drivers side memory seat system. Maybe this will be something for Toyota to consider for future models.
"LOVE THAT VENZA"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-21-2009, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I have test-driven several new Venzas on the highway and in city traffic. I drove the I4 and 6-cyl. The road noise was definitely there but for me not overwhelming. I just got back from northern NH and drove 450 miles in a RAV4 and found it a lot noisier than the Venza. The Venza was noisier than my Avalon but again - not overwhelmingly so. I have to remind myself that the Venza although in the same price-band as the Avalon, it is more of a Camry than an Avalon AND it is a wagon with a rear deck open to the passenger cabin. THe Avalon does have more sound proofing as it is the flagship vehicle but it does still convey road noise into the cabin. I am planning to add some sound deadening material to the Venza in the rear quarter to improve road noise transmission if necessary. Although I think the rear cargo mat and floor mats will help a lot - the Venzas I drive did not have mats and to reiterate - the noise was not anywhere near as that of the RAV4. Finally, individual noise tolerance will vary against expectation. Just my personal observations and opinions.
#3 Old 03-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Banned

Tire selection.....ROAD NOISE....!!
#4 Old 03-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcycle View Post
I have test-driven several new Venzas on the highway and in city traffic. I drove the I4 and 6-cyl. The road noise was definitely there but for me not overwhelming. I just got back from northern NH and drove 450 miles in a RAV4 and found it a lot noisier than the Venza. The Venza was noisier than my Avalon but again - not overwhelmingly so. I have to remind myself that the Venza although in the same price-band as the Avalon, it is more of a Camry than an Avalon AND it is a wagon with a rear deck open to the passenger cabin. THe Avalon does have more sound proofing as it is the flagship vehicle but it does still convey road noise into the cabin. I am planning to add some sound deadening material to the Venza in the rear quarter to improve road noise transmission if necessary. Although I think the rear cargo mat and floor mats will help a lot - the Venzas I drive did not have mats and to reiterate - the noise was not anywhere near as that of the RAV4. Finally, individual noise tolerance will vary against expectation. Just my personal observations and opinions.
Wouldn't underseal coating help in this regard?

I am still in the waiting room for my Venza, and I am considering a post delivery application of undercoating.
#5 Old 03-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Official TN Member

Undercoating does help I have it. I notice the Venza I test drove without the Toyo Gaurd Plus, which includes for about $699.00 Undecoating sound seal, Paint sealer, and interior protector,first oil change is free, Roadside assistance, Rental car,Vehicle VIN etch protection, They offer this in the Southeast not sure if everywhere.
If you dont have it just turn up the volume on the JBL system That should help
#6 Old 03-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Official TN Member

The paint sealer is a waste of money IMHO. A vehicles paint is supposed to feel silky smooth...almost slick when it is properly maintained. A brand new car sitting on the lot...its paint does not feel slick and smooth until it has been thoroughly cleaned and I am not talking about a car wash or a regular hand washing either. New cars are transported by train and because of this, the paint is covered in rail dust and other impurities that simply do not come off in a regular wash. So why would you want to seal all of that in with some miracle sealer?? No sealer will ever beat what a simple bar of clay and a high quality car wax can do to the look, feal, and appearance of your vehicles paint.
#7 Old 03-22-2009, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Believe it or not...... all Toyota's come from the factory with paint sealer - it's called clear coat! The paint sealer application is a throw back to the 70's when they used to charge $150 for an application of a tube of $.50 "hard" wax = 99.99% profit! The paint sealer is nothing more than a wax-job!

Unless you live in extreme conditions there is no need for rustproofing - this is not your father's toyota where you could watch them rust away from inferior steel. You can get a can of 3M scotch guard to do the interior..... that works just as well...... the sound proofing is probably worth the effort but most of the noise is coming from the rear of the vehicle so an all vehicle application is mostly for not... the real test of the value is in the guaranty and how well they honor any claims.... just my personal opinion

As wwest suggested - tire section makes a big difference!
#8 Old 03-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Official TN Member

All Toyota / Lexus / Scion models have considerable road and tire noise due, in part, to the lack of sound absorbing materials in the doors, under the floor, in the roof, rear quarter panels, etc. The most effective way to calm this noise is to use high density fiberglass sound insulation in the afore named areas. I buy rolls of it then saturate it with water then squeeze it flat with a metal plate and the weight of a car on top of the plate. Then i let it dry and it becomes a super high density product without much loft that you can stuff in body cavities and concealed areas everywhere. In wet climates you should enclose the fiberglass in some kind of plastic sheeting so it won't soak up water and cause rusting of body panels.
#9 Old 03-27-2009, 08:05 AM
New TN User

We've got alot of wind noise through the drivers side window.
#10 Old 11-20-2009, 12:45 AM
New TN User

Wind noise on my 02 XL

I bought this car used and I didn't notice at first but after driving on the freeway for awhile I hear lots of wind noise. Anyone try those wind guard or visor guards to fix this problem? I want to know before I spend the money.
#11 Old 11-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymon247 View Post
I bought this car used and I didn't notice at first but after driving on the freeway for awhile I hear lots of wind noise. Anyone try those wind guard or visor guards to fix this problem? I want to know before I spend the money.
I don't know if that would make a lot of difference. The noise seems to be coming from the gap between the roof and door frame, not the window itself.

'13 Venza, V6 AWD
#12 Old 11-20-2009, 10:42 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertag View Post
I don't know if that would make a lot of difference. The noise seems to be coming from the gap between the roof and door frame, not the window itself.
I noticed this also on my Venza as well but only at higher speeds (over 80 Km/h or 50 mph). I did fiddle with the rubber gasket that goes over the top & side of the door and the noise went down alot.

The problem is not present on the passenger side.
#13 Old 11-21-2009, 02:54 AM
Official TN Member

I noticed the window noise on my Venza on all 4 windows.
Only at speeds over 45mph. It's a low pitch humm ,but not bad.
A friend of mine has a Ford SUV that will give you a headache.
I bought a set of Ventvisors (stick on ) thinking it would help , it didn't.
I don't know if the in channel Ventvisors help either.

2009 Blizzard Pearl Venza V6 AWD ,ivory leather , prem. pack.2 , no NAV, pano. roof, vent visors, Reese hitch and Lovin it!!!
#14 Old 03-26-2010, 06:36 PM
New TN User

Took ours in to have it fixed, brought it back out and same issue. Driver side only.
#15 Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Some other guy

I've had my Venza for 2 weeks now and I don't have any wind noise and all I do is highway ... but my stereo volume is between 40-50 most of the time ... very easy fix to mute other noises...

--------------------------
Silver 2010 I4-AWD Venza ...
Replaced Lifted/modded Jeep Liberty V6 2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum