Venza Battery discharge problems - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-18-2009, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Angry Venza Battery discharge problems

I now have 8K miles on my Venza and have had five instances where I go to start car in the morning and the battery is discharged. The dealer has run diagnostics and each time declares the car perfect. I am now informed by the dealer service department that the car "is too complex for me". I am retired with grey hair so I apparently must be technically incompetent even though I have a masters degree in electrical engineering and have read everything I can get my hands on about the car!

Has anyone else had such a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejan View Post
I now have 8K miles on my Venza and have had five instances where I go to start car in the morning and the battery is discharged. The dealer has run diagnostics and each time declares the car perfect. I am now informed by the dealer service department that the car "is too complex for me". I am retired with grey hair so I apparently must be technically incompetent even though I have a masters degree in electrical engineering and have read everything I can get my hands on about the car!

Has anyone else had such a problem?
Your problem sounds like a lousy dealer! What do they mean too complex? You start the car, drive it, and turn off the ignition and lights when done...thats it. The only other thing I can think of is possibly there is an external device plugged in (as I believe dc plugs are hot). Battery's can go bad at the snap of a finger, I'd consider replacing it, if the problem goes away...drive back to the dealer and tell them to put it where the sun doesn't shine.
#3 Old 08-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Boilermaker Down South

Factory batteries have a universally poor performance. Swapping for a no name battery under warranty may not help. I always choose Interstate. And, I always put in the most amp-hours / CCAs that will fit.

Cars are really mobile computers now. Computers need great power supplies.

...STeve

VENZA 09 V6 FWD LX NV SR WT CF DG PB Silver w/ Grey

Last edited by sjmahler; 08-18-2009 at 08:04 PM.
#4 Old 08-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This may sound too simple but I would suggest that someone check the positive female connector on the battery cable. On two different vehicles I experienced such a problem as you describe. In both instances it was the positive female connector. Others thoughts that a dealer who is looking only for a "high tech" problem could be an intermittent faulty connection to your alternator. loose negative battery cable connection or the simplest of all a dead cell in the battery that is difficult to detect. Oh, I would immediately go to another dealer for a second opinion. You should not be left spending your good money on a problem that most definitely is covered by the warranty.

As for after market batteries, when time comes for me to install a new battery in our Venza it will be the best grade of Sears Diehard. The Diehard battery is still one of the great products sold by Sears.

Best of luck,
Louis

Last edited by lpatrick; 08-18-2009 at 09:45 PM.
#5 Old 08-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Official TN Member

The dealer needs to own up and do proper diagnosis - and if it takes a new battery to eliminate that as an issue, they need to go there.

Not to move off topic, but the best after-market battery is the Odyssey. I buy dozen's a year for my fleet to replace the crappy OEM batteries when they give out.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/
#6 Old 08-19-2009, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm sorry but that comment woulda been cause for me to drill not one but several butt holes.... in front of the dealership owner and the sales VP. And if I couldn't get an audience with those two a raucus comment in a busy showroom would work just as well....especially mentioning the SVC Magr's name at least once. that goes beyond demeaning.

Since a lot of Venza's are coming from the factory wth loose nuts and bolts..... the battery terminals as someone sugested would be the best starting point as ya navigate to the root cause of the problem.... a lot of can be "pilot error" but all recepticals and outlets are supposed to be off at ignition off mode.

TIme to f=seek out a new dealer/svc dept. Just think if you had a real problem...... And their diagnstics couldn't figure it out?
#7 Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 AM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Thanked 4,712 Times in 3,292 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcycle View Post

TIme to f=seek out a new dealer/svc dept. Just think if you had a real problem...... And their diagnstics couldn't figure it out?
I'd agree with that. I always say treat your car like you would your own body, and seek at least a second opinion or even a third one with a major issue. I'd bet the service center is incompetent and there's a short in the system causing the overnight drain. Hopefully the OP can get a word-of-mouth recommendation for an independent shop near him.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#8 Old 08-19-2009, 08:24 AM

(Thread Starter)
The last thing the dealer said to me was "what do you want us to do?" I said at least change the battery to eliminate it. They did change it.
I think I have figured the problem out. When I program the nav or set up the Information screen I do it from the passenger side. The problem always occurs the next day. It appears that the press to start button does not turn everything off if you only put slight pressure (enough to turn the light off) on the button. This occurs when you reach over from the passenger side to operate the switch ( your finger is parallel rather than vertical to the button, hence applies far less pressure ). This could also occur if you "momentarily" press the button from the drivers seat. A design flaw if I ever saw one! p.s Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
#9 Old 08-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Thanked 4,712 Times in 3,292 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Amazing to me that the nav system draws that much power! Glad to found your answer.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#10 Old 08-19-2009, 11:18 AM

(Thread Starter)
It's not just the nav power, it's whatever else the car has energized. I called Toyota and they will have Tech Rep. at my dealers to further work the problem next Tuesday. Stay tuned as the saga unfolds.
#11 Old 08-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejan View Post
It's not just the nav power, it's whatever else the car has energized. I called Toyota and they will have Tech Rep. at my dealers to further work the problem next Tuesday. Stay tuned as the saga unfolds.
The automatic light shut off "circuit" works when the ignition is switched OFF and the driver's door is opened. Turn the ignition on then off but never open the driver's door and even the headlights (street/parking/marker/tails in my case) will remain on if the switch "dictates".
#12 Old 08-19-2009, 11:39 AM

(Thread Starter)
Excellent feedback, thank you. That reinforces my contention that the power button isn't fully powering off. The first discharged battery was when I had the lights set to auto and I was working on the passengers side. That took the battery right down. Other times, with the auto lights off, the battery discharged over night to around 6volts, so when I tried to start it crapped out completely.
#13 Old 08-19-2009, 01:34 PM

soooo.... it's a design failure not pilot error....... "complex" or otherwise
#14 Old 08-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcycle View Post
soooo.... it's a design failure not pilot error....... "complex" or otherwise

"...design failure.."

No, just no forethought about the possibility of someone turing the ignition "on" without ever opening/closing the driver's door.

In my case I wanted power to the cigarette lighter for an air pump, the headlight switch just happened to be on and I didn't notice them when I later walked away having never opened/closed the driver's door..
#15 Old 08-19-2009, 04:14 PM

Poor functonal system design - BIG TIME!

Otherwise you are suggesting that you need to execute a specific shut down sequence BEFORE you walk away from your parked car......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum