bouncy ride - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What he's talking about is probably just the regular venza ride.

Drive a Camry LE or XLE and then drive the venza. The strut valving is weird because at low speeds, it acts as though it's Camry-like but then at higher speeds it start bouncing around like a 1988 Suzuki Samurai. I don't know why that is but it is.

I noticed the suspension softened just a bit around the 5,000 mile mark but make no mistake......this is not a Camry and with struts in all 4 corners, a little surprising.

My best guess is that they got annoyed with media reviews accusing them of having too soft a suspension thru the 2000's (ironically the reason I fell in love with the gen4 Camry) and decided to stiffen things up. To a fault, IMO, but I'm only 1 opinion.

P.S. do NOT inflate your tires beyond 32 psi. It only gets worse as you go up.

1998 Camry 2.2L auto. 195,000 "mostly" trouble-free miles. Recently tuned up and still purrs.
1995 Geo Prizm 1.6L. 165,000 "mostly" trouble-free miles. (need to sell soon)

2011 Venza 2.7L. 9,000 miles wondering if there ever was an NVH crew assigned to Venza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-13-2012, 07:20 PM
CEO, Dad's Taxi Service

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgtxdi View Post
What he's talking about is probably just the regular venza ride.

Drive a Camry LE or XLE and then drive the venza. The strut valving is weird because at low speeds, it acts as though it's Camry-like but then at higher speeds it start bouncing around like a 1988 Suzuki Samurai. I don't know why that is but it is.

P.S. do NOT inflate your tires beyond 32 psi. It only gets worse as you go up.
That is exactly what I'm referring to. @johnyks: Yeah, we are not talking about a situation where the ride was fine when we bought it, then it got bouncy. This vehicle has had this characteristic (I don't really want to call it a "fault") since the day we bought it. Just about any review of the 2009 (and later years as well) mention this. Now, with my 2008 Town & Country, you would have been spot on in your assessment.

Bob
'12 Rav4 Base 4WD (The boys')
'14 Honda Pilot EX-L (My wife's)
'12 Camry XLE (My DD)
#18 Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wink

Tires are not the problem. My '10 Venza is not bouncy, and never has been. You describe the fault of weak struts or perhaps even faulty springs, but definitely it is a suspension issue. The dealer can determine what it is and remedy it.
#19 Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Venza Lover

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Riding like a boat

I believe this has also been refered to as "riding like a boat". Tires will not help, but according to another post I read here, the H&R lowering springs may. They drop it 1.5-2.0" (38-50mm) and aside from the performance increase, they give it a nice stance.

My Venza

2011/V6/AWD/Magnetic Gray
Mods:35% Tints/K&N Intake/Tinted Head-Tails/Billet Grille/MagnaFlow CatBack/22" Asantis/265-40R22/H&R Springs
#20 Old 08-14-2012, 02:15 PM
CEO, Dad's Taxi Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by lburton View Post
I believe this has also been refered to as "riding like a boat". Tires will not help, but according to another post I read here, the H&R lowering springs may. They drop it 1.5-2.0" (38-50mm) and aside from the performance increase, they give it a nice stance.
So this kind of stuff is entirely new to me. Would I be able to have the lowering springs installed, yet keep the stock wheels/tires?

Bob
'12 Camry XLE (My DD)
#21 Old 08-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEW View Post
any advice on getting smoother ride out of I4 AWD- Bridgetone 19"? Get vibration between 20-40 mpg; bouncy ride on smooth interstate; clunks-thumps over uneven surfaces. Bouncy-clunky ride is most concern.
We have an I4 2009 Bronze AWD with over 30,000 miles on it. It has Bridgestone Dueler OEM all-season's on it and we have never experienced any of what you are describing here. Got to go along with some other posts here, it would seem to be a strut or tire balance problem. The Bridgestones have been original for quite awhile now and this is the first thread or post to describe these problems that I remember. Wyovenza
#22 Old 08-14-2012, 02:37 PM
CEO, Dad's Taxi Service

As lburton noted, it is the "riding like a boat" issue I'm referring to. Even the Consumer Reports review of the car mentions the problem.

Bob
'12 Camry XLE (My DD)
#23 Old 08-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Venza Lover

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-blehead View Post
So this kind of stuff is entirely new to me. Would I be able to have the lowering springs installed, yet keep the stock wheels/tires?
Yes, you can keep your wheels/tires and shocks. Here is a thread with some info and photos. There are some other threads and photos if you search.

You can find a suspension shop thru Google, the yellow pages or ask around. Once you find a place, call them up for a price. Get a price if they supply the springs and if you do; you can probably get a better price online for them than what a shop would quote you. Buy them online and pay a shop to install them.

The H&R part numbers are:
FWD 54622
AWD 54622-4

That is for a set of four springs (2) front & (2) rear. I found them online for around $230 US including shipping.

My Venza

2011/V6/AWD/Magnetic Gray
Mods:35% Tints/K&N Intake/Tinted Head-Tails/Billet Grille/MagnaFlow CatBack/22" Asantis/265-40R22/H&R Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum