Venza power back door - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-24-2009, 07:51 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Venza power back door

Just a quick note to everyone about the Venza power back door.

This is not to alarm any Venza owner . It is only information based on my experience as a Venza
owner when using the power back door.

While using the back door I was very surprised when I almost had my right hand fingers get caught
under the power door. I had closed the power door manually using my right hand with my fingers
under the power door. I was lucky that I had a pair of leather gloves on when the door closed.

I was surprised at the force on the power door as it closed on my fingers. As i felt the power door
start to pull the tips of my fingers under the door I quickly and with great force pulled on my fingers leaving the leather gloves under the power door.

As I said before I was lucky and walked away just stunned as to what had happened. The tips of my fingers were sore for about a week.

It puzzled me as to what had happened. I did not realize how powerful the Venza back door really is.

I went to the Venza 2009 owners manual and started to read about the back door. The information starts on page 59 and goes through page 68. The back door closer where I got my the tips of my fingers caught is on page 65.

I would encourage all Venza owners to please read about the Venza back door. there is a lot of warning information on what could happen if you don't follow what Toyota outlines in those pages.

Has anyone else been hurt like i was with the back door ?

Venzaracer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Official TN Member

This is a great thread!! We have always used the power switches when closing the door. I don't think we have ever closed it manually. If I am understanding your post correctly, the power door does the final closing and locking when you close it manually. That is when your fingers started to get caught. Would it appear to you that a safe operation of the door would be to always use the power switches and never close the door manually? We will of course be reading the manual as you did. Thank you for this thread, great safety information. Wyovenza
#3 Old 11-25-2009, 07:50 AM
Official TN Member

I often close that door manually because I don't want to stand around, especially in the rain, waiting for it close so that I can lock the doors. I'll have to keep this in mind.
I wish they had made it so that you could lock the doors before they're all closed. (like my old car did)

'13 Venza, V6 AWD
#4 Old 11-25-2009, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I don't have the power door...... yet after reading the post I wonder if the "lock down mechanism" on all Venza's (whether powered or not) is the issue versus the power lift feature?

My second wuestion is -why was your hand in a position where it could be caught is such a manner?
Just wondering?
#5 Old 11-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcycle View Post
I don't have the power door...... yet after reading the post I wonder if the "lock down mechanism" on all Venza's (whether powered or not) is the issue versus the power lift feature?
It should be since shutting the power door manually still activates the "lock down mechanism". Even when the power door is left to close by itself, you still hear the lock mechanism activate once it's closed.

'13 Venza, V6 AWD
#6 Old 11-25-2009, 10:25 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Hello nhcycle,

I had my right fingers under the back door trying to close the door without it latching. When I did this I was not aware
that this could not be done. I thought by not closing the door with the remote or the power button on the door the lock down mechanism would not operate. . If I would have known this I would not have had my fingers under the back door.
I never owned a car with a power back door that had a lock down mechanism.
#7 Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
gotcha.... will make certain to avoid that..... always try to learn from other's unfortunate experiences..... thanks for the warning
#8 Old 11-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertag View Post
I often close that door manually because I don't want to stand around, especially in the rain, waiting for it close so that I can lock the doors. I'll have to keep this in mind.
I wish they had made it so that you could lock the doors before they're all closed. (like my old car did)
You can if you use the lock buttons on the inside of the front doors.
#9 Old 11-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAcosta View Post
You can if you use the lock buttons on the inside of the front doors.
Thanks Daniel,

I checked the manual (p104) and, as I suspected, the alarm is only set using the remote, not when the lock button on the door is used. I also just went out to try it and it does act as stated.

Setting the alarm system:

Close the doors and hood,
and lock all doors using the
entry function (vehicles with
smart key system) or the wireless
remote control door lock
function. The system will be
set automatically after 30 seconds.
The indicator light changes
from being on to flashing when
the system is set.

'13 Venza, V6 AWD

Last edited by robertag; 11-26-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum