How to replace interior bulbs? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How to replace interior bulbs?

Owner's manual doesn't say anything, anyone know how I can replace my interior bulbs (front/rear map/dome lights, door courtesy lamps, rear cargo lamp)? I want to switch them all to white LED's, thanks.

Last edited by ISZach; 12-17-2009 at 12:08 PM.
ISZach is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 12-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Venza Owner
 
supwdatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: il
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Using search, I found this. Hope it helps. I have not used these directions, although they seem pretty thorough.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++
Hi,
I just joined the forum today and I wanted to share the lighting changes I have done to my week-old Venza. I confess that when I did it, I did not take pictures of the process (sorry!). So what I can offer is a description of how to tackle it and pictures of what it looks like now. But for that, somebody needs to tell me how to post pictures in the posting, since I just couldn't figure it out!

Anyway, I have the 4-cyl Venza with moon-roof, so I'm not sure if the dome light is the same for those without the glass roof.

The LED bulbs I purchased were little rectangular boards with self-adhesive backs, each containing 6 LEDs. Each LED supposedly contains 3 whatever they call them, so they are advertised as "18-LED boards". But you can really only see 6 lights. But regardless, they are very bright (I bougth the white light ones). Each bulb comes with 3 or 4 different connector types to ensure that you can plug them in any of the regular socket formats.
The ebay merchant is called "maple125", I dealt with him several times and never had a problem (he has 99.7% positive feedback). Just search for 'Venza led lights" and it will come up.

To the installation...

FRONT
There are 3 lights in the front (the two on the side can be pressed to turn the on/off while the middle one is fixed and turns on either when you open the doors (or unlock them) or by using the control switch next to the roof button. These can be accessed by using a precision screwdriver as a lever to pop open the transparent lids. But VERY carefully! Do it slowly and with care. You do not want to scar the plastic or crack them. I found it easier to pop open both ends first and lastly the center one. Do not attempt to open the whole piece (lights, glasses storage, roof switch, etc) using a lever. It won't budge. You will ruin the roof lining and or plastic for nothing.
Once you've removed all 3, pull out the original bulbs (here's when small fingers come in handy!). Install the LED boards with the correct connectors. I peeled off the adhesive's cover so I could attach the tips to the dome-shaped reflective cup. All you want to do is center each board and make sure it doesn't move around. Make sure you try it on BEFORE putting the lids back on. If the LED board does not turn on, unplug it, rotate the conector 180 degrees and plug it back in. In order for the LED to work it has to be plugged in in a specific way. If it's inverted it won't turn on. Once you confirm all 3 are working fine and you have them centered, replace the lids. Both ends first and lastly the center one. The center was the most difficult to put back on since I was afraid to break the little plastic grips. But if you carefully place one side on and then use the screwdriver as lever again, you'll get it in.

DOORS
The original lights are very dim. Useless if you ask me. The LEDS now actually illuminate the floor when I open the door at night. Very useful and cool.
Use 2 precision screwdrivers to pop it open. Do it from the bottom (under the door, as the light lid actually curves over the edge) in case you scar the plastic panel, so there are no visible dents. One end of the fixture has a conector, so the fixture only comes out one way. Once it's out, you can unplug the wire to the harness to work more freely. You now need to pop open a cover that hides the bulb inside. Took me a while to figure it out... You need to press from the sides on one end in order to release it. Then do the same on the other end. The cover will come off and then the bulb will be exposed. Remove the bulb, connect the LED, and re-connect the harness to the wiring. Before putting it back in, test to make sure it's connected propoperly! Insert the cover back into place and just press the whole piece back into its original position. The other door is same process.

REAR
There are 2 circular lights which actually swivel. This was the one which took me the longest, but with this info, it won't take you long. Using 2 regular size screwdrivers (flat heads), pop put the whole piece away from the roof. Please be careful not to scar the roof liner or the plastic harness! Do it firm but gently. Once it's out, you will see that the piece has plastic latches around it which keep the 2 pieces of molded plastic together. Once you pop them open simultaneously, you can pull the pieces apart to find the 2 bulbs in there. Same as before, install the LEDS, test and position them inside. Put the lid back on and re-insert the whole piece back in the whole in the roof, just with slight pressure. Depending on how you place the LED boards inside, you may limit the movement of the light fixture. So that's something you need to keep in mind when positioning it inside. Also, not all 6 LEDs will shine through, as the circle fixture is smaller than the board. Still, it'll be significantly brighter than the original bulb.

TRUNK
With the precision screwdriver pop out the light fixture. As with the doors, this fixture has one end which is long, so it comes out first on the other end. You can unplug the connector (BE CAREFUL not to allow the wiring to fall inside! Tape it, clamp it, whatever. Just don't let it go!!!). I can't recall if this one has a cover inside, but if it does, it must be very simple to remove, otherwise I would remember! The only tricky part here is that the connector that must be used here resembles those small glass fuses with pointy metal tips (that's the original bulb utilized), and the adapter provided with the LED boards is slightly bigger than the original one. So it take a bit of pressing the contact tabs to accomodate this connector. And the fact that it swivels to turn on & off makes it trickier. Imagine installing a AA battery were a AAA is required, but you can actually push the connectors and make it fit VERY snuggly. Once done and tested, just put it back in and press.

And with this, you will have gone from yellowish faint lighting to strong white (or whichever color you buy) LED lighting.

The glove compartment has a very dim light (took me several days to realize this), which I suppose only helps if it pitch dark. I couldn't figure out a way to remove the bulb as the space is very small. Instead of changing the bulb, I installed a Sylvania 3-LED disc which is self-adhesive, runs on batteries and turns on by pressing it. This is a quick fix but works perfectly.

2009 VENZA V6 AWD EY,LX,NV,TO,WL,Z1
2010 HIGHLANDER HYBRID LTD V6
4WD-i NV,PC,PN,QD,3T,CT
supwdatt is offline  
#3 Old 12-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supwdatt View Post
Using search, I found this. Hope it helps. I have not used these directions, although they seem pretty thorough.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++
Hi,
I just joined the forum today and I wanted to share the lighting changes I have done to my week-old Venza. I confess that when I did it, I did not take pictures of the process (sorry!). So what I can offer is a description of how to tackle it and pictures of what it looks like now. But for that, somebody needs to tell me how to post pictures in the posting, since I just couldn't figure it out!

Anyway, I have the 4-cyl Venza with moon-roof, so I'm not sure if the dome light is the same for those without the glass roof.

The LED bulbs I purchased were little rectangular boards with self-adhesive backs, each containing 6 LEDs. Each LED supposedly contains 3 whatever they call them, so they are advertised as "18-LED boards". But you can really only see 6 lights. But regardless, they are very bright (I bougth the white light ones). Each bulb comes with 3 or 4 different connector types to ensure that you can plug them in any of the regular socket formats.
The ebay merchant is called "maple125", I dealt with him several times and never had a problem (he has 99.7% positive feedback). Just search for 'Venza led lights" and it will come up.

To the installation...

FRONT
There are 3 lights in the front (the two on the side can be pressed to turn the on/off while the middle one is fixed and turns on either when you open the doors (or unlock them) or by using the control switch next to the roof button. These can be accessed by using a precision screwdriver as a lever to pop open the transparent lids. But VERY carefully! Do it slowly and with care. You do not want to scar the plastic or crack them. I found it easier to pop open both ends first and lastly the center one. Do not attempt to open the whole piece (lights, glasses storage, roof switch, etc) using a lever. It won't budge. You will ruin the roof lining and or plastic for nothing.
Once you've removed all 3, pull out the original bulbs (here's when small fingers come in handy!). Install the LED boards with the correct connectors. I peeled off the adhesive's cover so I could attach the tips to the dome-shaped reflective cup. All you want to do is center each board and make sure it doesn't move around. Make sure you try it on BEFORE putting the lids back on. If the LED board does not turn on, unplug it, rotate the conector 180 degrees and plug it back in. In order for the LED to work it has to be plugged in in a specific way. If it's inverted it won't turn on. Once you confirm all 3 are working fine and you have them centered, replace the lids. Both ends first and lastly the center one. The center was the most difficult to put back on since I was afraid to break the little plastic grips. But if you carefully place one side on and then use the screwdriver as lever again, you'll get it in.

DOORS
The original lights are very dim. Useless if you ask me. The LEDS now actually illuminate the floor when I open the door at night. Very useful and cool.
Use 2 precision screwdrivers to pop it open. Do it from the bottom (under the door, as the light lid actually curves over the edge) in case you scar the plastic panel, so there are no visible dents. One end of the fixture has a conector, so the fixture only comes out one way. Once it's out, you can unplug the wire to the harness to work more freely. You now need to pop open a cover that hides the bulb inside. Took me a while to figure it out... You need to press from the sides on one end in order to release it. Then do the same on the other end. The cover will come off and then the bulb will be exposed. Remove the bulb, connect the LED, and re-connect the harness to the wiring. Before putting it back in, test to make sure it's connected propoperly! Insert the cover back into place and just press the whole piece back into its original position. The other door is same process.

REAR
There are 2 circular lights which actually swivel. This was the one which took me the longest, but with this info, it won't take you long. Using 2 regular size screwdrivers (flat heads), pop put the whole piece away from the roof. Please be careful not to scar the roof liner or the plastic harness! Do it firm but gently. Once it's out, you will see that the piece has plastic latches around it which keep the 2 pieces of molded plastic together. Once you pop them open simultaneously, you can pull the pieces apart to find the 2 bulbs in there. Same as before, install the LEDS, test and position them inside. Put the lid back on and re-insert the whole piece back in the whole in the roof, just with slight pressure. Depending on how you place the LED boards inside, you may limit the movement of the light fixture. So that's something you need to keep in mind when positioning it inside. Also, not all 6 LEDs will shine through, as the circle fixture is smaller than the board. Still, it'll be significantly brighter than the original bulb.

TRUNK
With the precision screwdriver pop out the light fixture. As with the doors, this fixture has one end which is long, so it comes out first on the other end. You can unplug the connector (BE CAREFUL not to allow the wiring to fall inside! Tape it, clamp it, whatever. Just don't let it go!!!). I can't recall if this one has a cover inside, but if it does, it must be very simple to remove, otherwise I would remember! The only tricky part here is that the connector that must be used here resembles those small glass fuses with pointy metal tips (that's the original bulb utilized), and the adapter provided with the LED boards is slightly bigger than the original one. So it take a bit of pressing the contact tabs to accomodate this connector. And the fact that it swivels to turn on & off makes it trickier. Imagine installing a AA battery were a AAA is required, but you can actually push the connectors and make it fit VERY snuggly. Once done and tested, just put it back in and press.

And with this, you will have gone from yellowish faint lighting to strong white (or whichever color you buy) LED lighting.

The glove compartment has a very dim light (took me several days to realize this), which I suppose only helps if it pitch dark. I couldn't figure out a way to remove the bulb as the space is very small. Instead of changing the bulb, I installed a Sylvania 3-LED disc which is self-adhesive, runs on batteries and turns on by pressing it. This is a quick fix but works perfectly.
I saw that thread, I should have clarified, I am looking for some pics describing how to do it. I still can't seem to get the lenses out of the dome/map lights with the screwdrivers.
ISZach is offline  
#4 Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto,on
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Today i removed the dome. It's wery easy (but i worked arond one ohur to find out). The front of the dome have two clips (close to the mirror) you just have to pull it down. On the back (where is the lights) there is no clips, just two hooks(lips).When you pulled down from the front, just pull forvard,that's it.
ludwig is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ludwig For This Useful Post:
Verndog (04-15-2010)
#5 Old 09-16-2010, 07:34 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Still a bit confused after reading the long post.
Has anyone tried it? which direction do you put your screw driver?
please refer to the pics.
thanks


ccd79 is offline  
#6 Old 09-16-2010, 07:57 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto,on
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Where the eyglass holder closer to the windshild ,just put your fingers under the edge of the dome, and pull it down. Dont try the edge where is the lights ,you going to brake the hooks.
ludwig is offline  
#7 Old 09-16-2010, 08:10 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
Where the eyglass holder closer to the windshild ,just put your fingers under the edge of the dome, and pull it down. Dont try the edge where is the lights ,you going to brake the hooks.
you mean open the sunglass holder, insert the fingers in, and pull the whole plastic portion down? by the way, is it hard to put it back on? thanks
ccd79 is offline  
#8 Old 09-16-2010, 09:05 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto,on
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
No ,in the front end of the dome, closer to the windshild,put your fingers or screwdriver,and pull down (its's opening like a door) unhook the beck end(where is the lights) . It's take 5 seconds.
ludwig is offline  
#9 Old 09-16-2010, 09:08 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto,on
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
To put it back on its even esier, just put to hooks on place, and close it (ou feel it when it's click)
ludwig is offline  
#10 Old 09-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Official TN Member
 
iJeenyus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 37
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Its very simple, I have personally removed and put back together light parts. BE CAREFUL the hard plastics dent easily. This is all you will need, click the link on LEDs conversion. If you can't do it after reading that, then you shouldn't be messing with the car. It's that easy. Good luck

Master List of LEDs Bulb Sizes & DIY/Tutorials for Interior/Exterior Lights

2009 Venza Blizzard Pearl I4 FWD
Done: side moldings, mud guards, hood protector, weathertech window deflectors, interior LEDs
Next: roof rack, nav unit

Last edited by iJeenyus; 09-16-2010 at 11:20 AM.
iJeenyus is offline  
#11 Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NoVA
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
USA LED Interior lights

Hey all! The wife and I finally got a new 2011 Badass black Venza V6 AWD! We love it and can't get enough of it. Want to change out the interior lights to some led's though? Can anyone post how to take them of (especially the round ones!) Hate to break a piece but i hate the color of those lights and the light at the luggage area sucks, to say it nicely!
pnoyryder is offline  
#12 Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Georgetown
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Mission Accomplished?

Were you able to replace any interior lights to LED? If so,which ones, where did you buy them and how expensive were they??
jpt51 is offline  
#13 Old 11-07-2011, 01:18 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NoVA
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Yes iwas able to switch them all out. got them from ijdmtoy, here's the link: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Toyota-Venz..._toyota_20.htm Price was pretty inexpensive and the lights were pretty good but i am very disappointed on the cargo area lights. Still too dim for me. Thinking of either switching to a brighter set or mounting a separate led strip on top (what Toyota should have done to begin with, duh!!)

"11 Venza V6 AWD
Side moldings, led interior lights, mudguards, weathertech
Future mods: amber exterior led's, tow hitch, K& N typhoon

Last edited by pnoyryder; 11-07-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added more
pnoyryder is offline  
#14 Old 01-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Official TN Member
 
bigcsorren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bay Area, Ca.
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 39
Thanked 43 Times in 29 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Are you guys using flank style 194 led boards for the front domes and doors? I have read all the links but they haven't answered my question. I was going to check the car out last night put it was pouring out.

I'm a little disappointed I didn't check earlier, vleds just had a 15% off sale that ended last night.

**Edit - Since I wrote this post I have completed my LED conversion. The front dome will take 3 l94 forward style leds. The rear seat will take two 194 flank style leds for the best output.


{V6~AWD~Loaded~V-Leds~Morimoto~Pecca leather~Invision Headrest DVD Monitors}

Last edited by bigcsorren; 07-29-2012 at 01:17 PM.
bigcsorren is offline  
#15 Old 06-09-2014, 04:31 PM
New TN User
 
Greenearth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcsorren View Post
Are you guys using flank style 194 led boards for the front domes and doors? I have read all the links but they haven't answered my question. I was going to check the car out last night put it was pouring out.

I'm a little disappointed I didn't check earlier, vleds just had a 15% off sale that ended last night.

**Edit - Since I wrote this post I have completed my LED conversion. The front dome will take 3 l94 forward style leds. The rear seat will take two 194 flank style leds for the best output.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Looking to change my interior LED's + License plate light for 2014 Venza. I understand that I need 12 bulbs altogether. (3 front dome/Map lights, 2 vanity mirror lights, 2 rear dome lights, 2 front door (bottom) lights, 1 license plate, 2 bulbs @ Cargo area) Is this info correct? is it possible to change the glove box light? Looking to buy inexpensive LED's to replace all of 'em. Any help is much appreciated.
Greenearth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome