Key Fob programming - 2009 Venza - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum

Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View MikeyboyNJ's Photo Gallery
Spare Key

Is it true that a new key for a Venza will cost approx $350 - $400 for the key and programming?
MikeyboyNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View schmidtj's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyboyNJ View Post
Is it true that a new key for a Venza will cost approx $350 - $400 for the key and programming?
If you go through a dealer. You will find the FOBs on eBay but it will still cost about $75 to program it and if you need a new physical key cut figure another $75. I had them throw in a spare FOB when I purchased my Venza. I also had them include a spare on my previous two smart start equipped Toyotas. Never used any of them.
schmidtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View dandukem's Photo Gallery
USA Key Fob programming - 2009 Venza

Well, we just bought a new 2009 Venza off the show floor, we get home and my wife decides to wash the jacket I had been wearing and sure enough, the key fob was in the jacket pocket. I immediately took the thing apart, dried it the best I could, and then put the pieces into a bowl of rice to let the rice absorb the rest of the moisture.

After two days, I took the pieces out of the rice and reassembled the key fob only to find that it no longer works on our car. The little light on the key fob glows brightly when I push the buttons so it makes me think that the key fob itself is okay. I'm thinking that it was shorted out when it got wet and I'm hoping that it just needs to be reprogrammed.

The dealer charges $68 to reprogram the key fob and I'd rather not have to pay that so I'm looking for the reprogramming procedure. I've found the procedure for older Toyota vehicles but nothing for a 2009.

Please help me if you can.
dandukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View schmidtj's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandukem View Post
Well, we just bought a new 2009 Venza off the show floor, we get home and my wife decides to wash the jacket I had been wearing and sure enough, the key fob was in the jacket pocket. I immediately took the thing apart, dried it the best I could, and then put the pieces into a bowl of rice to let the rice absorb the rest of the moisture.

After two days, I took the pieces out of the rice and reassembled the key fob only to find that it no longer works on our car. The little light on the key fob glows brightly when I push the buttons so it makes me think that the key fob itself is okay. I'm thinking that it was shorted out when it got wet and I'm hoping that it just needs to be reprogrammed.

The dealer charges $68 to reprogram the key fob and I'd rather not have to pay that so I'm looking for the reprogramming procedure. I've found the procedure for older Toyota vehicles but nothing for a 2009.

Please help me if you can.
Bring the fob back to the dealer, play dumb, and say "fob no work". They should make it good under warrantee unless there are obvious signs the fob was drowned. Odds are the dealer would replace it anyway.
schmidtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
2008 V6 XLE Camry Red

View Scottyd's Photo Gallery
1 smart key fob for two Toyotas

I just bought a new Venza with smart key. I have a 2008 Camry with a smart key. I want to use my Venza key fob for both the Venza and the Camry. Initially the dealer said I could do it but with both cars in the garage when I popped the trunk with the key fob then both cars would open the trunk. I figured I could live with that. I took the Camry into the dealer to program the Venza key fob to it. Now the dealer says it can't be done and says the key fobs are specific to a model year which I think is wrong. From what little I could find on the web about programming the key fob, it sounds like you can have at least 3 key fobs per car. And it seems that the key fob gets programed with the vehicle code as well as having the key fob code programmed to the car. So the question is "can the key fob have more than one car code programmed in it?" If not, then this seems like the reason the dealer can't do the programming and not the year specific key fob answer that they gave me. Has anyone had a key fob programmed for more than one car? I did a search and couldn't find an answer on the forum.
Thanks,
Old 01-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View banasik72's Photo Gallery
09 Venza SmartKey FOB programming question!

Hi,
I lost one of my Smart Key FOB remotes for my 2009 Toyota Venza. Hate not having a backup, since I have 2 little kids, and don't want to shell out hundreds of $ for a NEW one from Toyota. So, I purchased a used Toyota Venza FOB (Exactly like mine) on eBay thinking I could just reprogram it( That's what the seller advertised!). Well, just came back from my local Toyota dealer, who informed me that once a FOB is programmed for a specific vehicle it can NOT to reprogrammed! Can anyone please confirm that this in fact is TRUE? I'd like to know before I send back the remote, for NOT As Described.

Any suggestions, and feedback/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited by banasik72; 01-21-2012 at 04:33 PM.
banasik72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View Footy14's Photo Gallery
09 Venza - Key Fob

I too was told $450 for a new fob from the dealer. I found others on Amazon / Ebay for $150-180. I told the dealer and they said ok no problem, just bring it to us to program it will be $70. So before I did this I opened up the fob just to have a look. It has a circuit board that you can pop out and there is a small button battery. So I went and got a new one at an electronics store for $7 and popped it in. Low and behold this solved the problem, the fob works like a charm. NO PROGRAMMING REQUIRED. IT IS ALL A COMPLETE SCAM. THE COST TO FIX IS $7!!!
Footy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $367649
View smacd's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footy14 View Post
I too was told $450 for a new fob from the dealer. I found others on Amazon / Ebay for $150-180. I told the dealer and they said ok no problem, just bring it to us to program it will be $70. So before I did this I opened up the fob just to have a look. It has a circuit board that you can pop out and there is a small button battery. So I went and got a new one at an electronics store for $7 and popped it in. Low and behold this solved the problem, the fob works like a charm. NO PROGRAMMING REQUIRED. IT IS ALL A COMPLETE SCAM. THE COST TO FIX IS $7!!!
Just to be clear... Did you replace the battery on a fob that came with the car but stopped working, or did you replace the battery on a fob that you bought on eBay?
'09 I4 FWD, Sunset Bronze, Panoramic Moonroof, Security Pkg, Back-Up Camera, Rear bumper Protector, Bluetooth Handsfree, WeatherTech Digital Fit Mats, Blizzak DM-V1s on 17" Moda EB1 wheels for winter.
smacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View Footy14's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacd View Post
Just to be clear... Did you replace the battery on a fob that came with the car but stopped working, or did you replace the battery on a fob that you bought on eBay?

Sorry, I used my old fob. There was no reason to buy a new one. I know this doesn't help those that have lost theirs but the dealer was telling me that when you get the message of low battery see a dealer I needed to buy a new one. Not the case.
Footy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Streaker

Gameroom cash: $333009
View Streaker's Photo Gallery
^ Forget that dealer!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View DanielAcosta's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footy14 View Post
Sorry, I used my old fob. There was no reason to buy a new one. I know this doesn't help those that have lost theirs but the dealer was telling me that when you get the message of low battery see a dealer I needed to buy a new one. Not the case.
The center display in my Venza started telling me my fob battery charge was getting low. The dealer replaced the battery in my fob for about $6. So what's the big deal? Are people telling you to replace the whole fob instead of just the battery?
DanielAcosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Gameroom cash: $817972
Lifetime Supreme Member
View nhcycle's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAcosta View Post
The center display in my Venza started telling me my fob battery charge was getting low. The dealer replaced the battery in my fob for about $6. So what's the big deal? Are people telling you to replace the whole fob instead of just the battery?
As mentioned in another thread, a lot of dealers have put service writers and parts personnel on a low base pay plus commission for services they sell at the service desk.... it could be that someone IS running a scam to bump their commission contribution.

Last edited by nhcycle; 02-13-2013 at 05:56 PM.
nhcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum