Low Fuel Level Warning Light & Gas Guage - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-28-2010, 03:11 PM
wth
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Low Fuel Level Warning Light & Gas Guage

Thought I'd post some of my findings about this.
1. Above is described on page 558, lights up with about 4 US gal of fuel remaining in tank.
2. Mine lite up with the "Distance to empty" showing about 40 miles.
3. Drove the Venza until the Distance to empty read "0" , and the fuel guage pointer needle was pointing to the bottom side of the little "square" in the guage by the "E".
4. Owners manual states tank will hold approx 17.7 US Gal "page 660"
5. Pulled into gas station with drivers side (fuel door side) sitting about 3" to 4" HIGHER than the passenger side of Venza.
6. With the pump "clicking off" 3 times, I could only get 15.22 US gal into the tank, so after the "distance to empty" read "0" and the gas guage at "E", I've come to the conclusion that there was still 2.5 US gal of gas in the tank, 17.7 minus 15.22 = 2.5

2010 Venza I4 FWD Blizzard Pearl/Ivory Leather, Comfort, Convenience, Glass Roof, Security Pkg.
2013 RAV-4 XLE AWD Barcelona Red/Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't push it that much, but last night I filled mine up with 10 miles to empty and I got just a hair over 15 gallons in. So that pretty much backs up your numbers.

2008 Barcelona Camry SE V6 - Gone
2009 Magnetic Grey Metallic Venza AWD V-6- Gone
2011 Sizzling Crimson Highlander SE 4WD - Gone

2011 Blizzard Toyota Venza - 4cyl - AWD
2012 Hot Lava Release Series Scion XB
#3 Old 05-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Official TN Member

sounds right - I estimate 10 litres (2.5 gal) in the tank when the trip computer says empty.

---
2010 I4-AWD Tropical Sea Metallic, CDN Premium Pkg (grey leather, heated powered seats, panoramic sunroof, TFT with backup camera, power rear hatch, simulated wood)

Winter shoes - 17x8 Moda EB1 rims, 245/65R17 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1s
#4 Old 05-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Not So New TN User

Having once miscalculated where the next gas station would be with my previous car and drove on "fumes" to get to the next station (successfully due to my GPS). I know the definition of empty isn't quite as exact as the gauges would have us believe. No doubt to allow for the human factor . Thanks for confirming the wiggle room.

2010 I4-AWD Magnetic Grey Metallic, Premium Pkg (Panorama Moon Roof, Grey Leather, Heated Powered Seats, TFT with Backup Camera, Power Rear Hatch, Simulated Wood), Rear Cargo Mat and Net, After-Market Python 2-Way Car Starter, WeatherTech Black FloorLiner DigitalFit Floor Mats.
#5 Old 05-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigted View Post
Having once miscalculated where the next gas station would be with my previous car and drove on "fumes" to get to the next station (successfully due to my GPS).
Exact same thing happened to us last weekend on our way to Lake George. We drove more than 40 km after reaching the dreaded "0 km before empty".

Worst you can do in situations like these is panic and "try" an exit hoping there will be a gas station. The GPS couldn't have been clearer: closest gas was way ahead on the 87 and we eventually reached it with probably a few drops of fuel left in the tank!

This being said, I forgot to check the total mileage with did on that tank. Surely our record distance with the Venza, my girl seems to remember we hit 555km. Boy, when I think of my friends with a Civic or a Yaris who manage to drive 800k on a single tank.......

Highlander XLE Hybrid 2014 - Blizzard Pearl

Last edited by dobdob; 05-30-2010 at 02:59 PM.
#6 Old 05-31-2010, 05:42 AM
New TN User

Canada

On several ocassions, my fuel light has come on with 36 or 37 kms of supposed fuel remaining, (usually on the way to the station), and I have filled it up with 55 or 56 litres, meaning I should have another 8 or 9 litres in the tank. I think my average distance travelled between fill ups in in the area of 575 km, although I have driver over 600 on a few ocassions. I have all my fill ups registered on fuelly.

2009 Toyota Venza V6 FWD
Sunset Bronze Mica
Class 3 Trailer Hitch
Cargo Liner, Winter Mats
#7 Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobdob View Post
Exact same thing happened to us last weekend on our way to Lake George. We drove more than 40 km after reaching the dreaded "0 km before empty".

Worst you can do in situations like these is panic and "try" an exit hoping there will be a gas station. The GPS couldn't have been clearer: closest gas was way ahead on the 87 and we eventually reached it with probably a few drops of fuel left in the tank!

This being said, I forgot to check the total mileage with did on that tank. Surely our record distance with the Venza, my girl seems to remember we hit 555km. Boy, when I think of my friends with a Civic or a Yaris who manage to drive 800k on a single tank.......
The total curise range for the Venza on the highway is a bit low. I think the V6 owners are getting the same as we're getting with the I4-AWD - it comes down to aerodynamics at speed I guess.

I was used to getting 700-800 km in the 04 Sienna (comparable/worse mileage but 80l tank!). My 03 Accord and 07 335 both were/are in that range as well. But really, how long can you go between restroom breaks anyway

---
2010 I4-AWD Tropical Sea Metallic, CDN Premium Pkg (grey leather, heated powered seats, panoramic sunroof, TFT with backup camera, power rear hatch, simulated wood)

Winter shoes - 17x8 Moda EB1 rims, 245/65R17 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1s
#8 Old 05-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Official TN Member

I always laugh at the way mfgs, particularly GM, tout the distance driven on a tank of gas. Mostly, it's a function of the size of tank, (and the cost of the fill-up), not the mpg. I can cruise 700+ km in my 6 cyl F150. Just that it costs $105 to fill it!! Plus, as samej says, who can in this demographic can hold out 6 hours for a pee break?
In a way, I probably shouldn't have read this thread. Now I know it's "safe" to ignore the low fuel warnings. Mind you, I can save $.15/L or $.57/gallon by gassing up in Cranbrook, a 115km drive, rather than here. If I'm heading there to shop, I'll stretch it.

'09 I4 FWD, Sunset Bronze, Panoramic Moonroof, Security Pkg, Back-Up Camera, Rear bumper Protector, Bluetooth Handsfree, WeatherTech Digital Fit Mats, Blizzak DM-V1s on 17" Moda EB1 wheels for winter.
#9 Old 09-02-2011, 11:22 PM
dimrash

The DTE calculation by the computer is an algorithm based on the avg fuel consumption, previous consumptions (driving habits) and then calculates at the beginning of the fill up to a new tank how many km's or mpg's to empty. It doesn't update during the ride if one's habits have changed substantially vs the expected outcome from the computer. Hence a lot of drivers will see a DTE of zero while still having a few gallon's or litres of gas in the car.

I've always preferred to calculating my ltr/100 km's or mpg in my head or on a calculator and tracking my avg performance...this way I can be my own judge of my fuel economy
#10 Old 09-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Official TN Member

Thank you for the info guys...I am not brave enough to go the distance and wait to see how much I can fill the with. I learned long ago that driving on the last click of gas, especially when the road sign says "Next Gas Station 80 miles", is not a smart thing to do.

Now, I can relax a little bit knowing that "empty" does not really mean "empty".
#11 Old 12-01-2013, 10:31 AM
New TN User

Venza DTE

I have a 2012 Venza XLE Premium Pack V6 Fwd and I fill up the tank fully and the DTE only reads 289 Mi. The range should be around 360 mi. I have no idea what the problem is and the dealer dosent have an answer.

Any recommendations???
#12 Old 12-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When I fill the tank on our 2012 Limited, it usually says in the high 350 mile range to empty. I'm thinking that your float in the tank is either sticking at some point, or the ohms signal coming off the sender is off. The dealer knows where the problem is and just doesn't want to drop the tank and address it.
#13 Old 12-01-2013, 01:31 PM
New TN User

Thanks fir the reply.

I just filled up the tank and its already at 243 DTE with almost a full tank. Do you think that the repair would be under warranty on a 2012?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#14 Old 12-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm sure it would be. You're probably going to get the run-around by the serive advisor, but stick to your guns and tell them you want it repaired. If you do have to take it in for repair, try and make it a little easier on the techs by bringing it in with as low a fuel level as you can. Makes their jobs a little easier, and safer too.
#15 Old 12-01-2013, 03:33 PM
New TN User

Thank you I will have it checked out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum