Adding backup camera to my 2011 Venza Nav unit - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-09-2010, 08:33 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
After market Rear view camera

Unfortunately we did not get the factory installed rear view camera.
My wife is driving the Venza and she started thinking of getting a backup camera.

Should we get the dealer installed backup camera in the rear view mirror, and how much will that cost us?
or
Should we go with a different install/option?

Are we going to lose the compass and auto dimming features if we get the dealer installed backup camera in the rear view mirror???

Thank you for your input and suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-09-2010, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If you go with the homelink rear view mirror with the monitor built-in..... you should get all the other features.... the problem is it will be very pricey.... at least $400 plus install.....

There are after-market setups that are a lot less .... For ease of install (if you want to DIY) the wireless may be the best for you..... You essensially find a power source in the lift-gate to power the camera and run a wire to the back up lights so when you engage reverse the camera activates...... another option would be to set-up a switch in the dash to manually toggle the camera on whenever you wanted.....which would be my personal preference if I had a choice. The display could then be mounted on the dash somewhere.....either hard-mounted or attached via velco strips. there are a lot of choices on Amazon and eBay.

FWIW..... I have the factory backup camera and it works as I wanted/expected - it provides a clear view of directly behind me.... I stlll look all around before backing and don't rely solely on the camera.....

Last edited by nhcycle; 02-09-2010 at 09:59 AM.
#3 Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for your input.
Do you have the big screen backup camera that comes with the DVD nav, or do you have the one that is built in the information display?
#4 Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Official TN Member

Ours is built into the information display. The car is so new to us though that we forget to look at it since we're so used to using the mirrors and back window to back up. I can see where it may be handy when trying to back-up to a trailer to align the hitch but I can't see using it as my one back-up tool.
#5 Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 AM
New TN User

Some after market GPS have wireless rear vie cameras...........Garmin ?
#6 Old 02-09-2010, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I also have the video via the info screen.....it's adequate dor my needs.... others with the NAVI screen can update you on the clarity. I checked with Garmin -no rear view capability......
#7 Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
The small screen on the information display was the reason we did not get the backup camera in first place, but now I kind of regret it....
#8 Old 03-11-2010, 11:43 PM
New TN User

Installed Boyo Backup Camera in Factory NAV

I finally had the aftermarket Boyo VTL 200 License Plate Backup Camera installed to the factory Nav today. They used the NAV-TV wiring harness (actually a Lexus backup camera wiring harness which they modified to fit the Venza) to connect from the Boyo Camera Video Jack to the white 24 pin connector ( 4 pins from the harness inserted into 21,22,23,24 ) on the rear of the NAV unit. The Reverse Switch connector is already wired to the NAV unit and triggers the camera on and off. The Boyo VTL 200 is a Zinc / Chrome Plate that looks great and is a clean install. The daytime and night vision is clear with little fisheye distortion. It has high sensitive 1/3" DSP Color CCD built in, 380 TVL Horizontal resolution and 0.3 Lux at F2.0.
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/v...00203Bcopy.jpg
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/v...n/P1000216.jpg

09 Venza 6 FWD Classic Silver Metallic - NAV- Panorama Sun Roof - Mud Guards - Body Side Moulding - Door Edge Guards - Curt Class III Hitch - K & N Air Filter

Last edited by papapelican; 03-15-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added photos
#9 Old 03-23-2010, 09:03 PM
New TN User

Smile camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratimux View Post
My wife is driving the Venza and she started thinking of getting a backup camera.

Should we get the dealer installed backup camera in the rear view mirror, and how much will that cost us?
or

Are we going to lose the compass and auto dimming features if we get the dealer installed backup camera in the rear view mirror???

not sure how much it cost but I bought my Venza w/ an Azentek Smartmirror installed by the dealership in MI. I've never seen anything like it.

http://www.azentekonline.com/cms/content/view/100/186/

it can come with or without a boyo vtl400 backup camera. I purchased a new VTL400 off ebay for 60 bucks last week. Replaced the old vtl400 since it was a little worn and I believed was defective. I contacted vision tech america (CA), and they replaced the VTL400 with a new unit. Now I have a spare.
#10 Old 06-20-2010, 06:36 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratimux View Post

or

I had a b/u camera, it has auto dimming with the display in the mirror, the problem with that is when the sun is in your eyes its hard to see. I also had a module installed when you flash your lights it opens the garage door.
#11 Old 06-23-2010, 01:45 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnfingers View Post
Ours is built into the information display. The car is so new to us though that we forget to look at it since we're so used to using the mirrors and back window to back up. I can see where it may be handy when trying to back-up to a trailer to align the hitch but I can't see using it as my one back-up tool.
When we are both in the car, the driver uses the mirrors etc. and the passenger watches the camera and warns of people walking by etc. Sometimes as the driver you don't see someone walking behind the vehicle because they are moving and wherever you look, they have just gone by.
#12 Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Official TN Member

Adding backup camera to my 2011 Venza Nav unit (complete!)

============

COMPLETE!

Here are the step by step pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/1168148...l?noredirect=1

============

So after some research, which there isn't much out there, one post mentioned a company called "Nav-TV" (part # NTV-ASY116 : TOYCAM HARNESS, 4 PIN TO 24 PIN VENZA) which is a plug that will give you the needed wires to add an aftermarket backup camera to the OEM Navigation unit (to note: i couldn't determine if this also applies to the non-Nav unit as well but calling them and asking will answer that)

Ordered the plug yesterday and got it in today, also ordered a Boyo VTL375HD camera from Amazon... I am looking forward to doing the install this weekend, hopefully I'll be able to tackle it on Saturday morning if the weather permits

Last edited by MorningZ; 02-18-2013 at 02:11 PM.
#13 Old 09-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningZ View Post
So after some research, which there isn't much out there, one post mentioned a company called "Nav-TV" which has a plug that will give you the needed wires to add an aftermarket backup camera to the OEM Navigation unit (to note: i couldn't determine if this also applies to the non-Nav unit as well)

Ordered the plug yesterday and got it in today, also ordered a Boyo VL375HD camera from Amazon... I am looking forward to doing the install this weekend, hopefully I'll be able to tackle it on Saturday morning if the weather permits

Look's like your using the license plate mount type.
Let us know how the install goes? And pics also?

2011 Magnetic Gray Metallic
FWD V6 Ivory Cloth interior
Tow pkg, conv. pkg and security pkg.
Back-up sensors
#14 Old 09-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigallis1 View Post
Look's like your using the license plate mount type.
yeah, i was trying to find an OEM-like one (this site has tons of them for other Toyota models), but I would have had to rip apart the back, compare it, and then if I could find a match, order and wait.... so heck with it, this model Boyo is low key enough i think, plus it doesn't block the state name, which is something the cops can hassle one about (and who needs it)..

I'll definitely be taking some pics especially of taking apart the hatch interior panels and getting the wire run

this was the topic I found that led me to Nav-TV

Last edited by MorningZ; 09-02-2011 at 08:01 AM.
#15 Old 09-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Official TN Member

so started today, ran out of sunlight and didn't get to finish... man on man i am NOT looking forward to getting that driver side back 10mm bolt for the radio to get it out of there.... it's going to make what i DID do (take a drill and unibit and drill a hole on the outside skin of the hatch) look like cake, lol

these are the pics I took so far

https://picasaweb.google.com/morning...eat=directlink

when I'm all complete, I'll put together a formal "how-to" to describe the pics and stuff.... fun stuff though, can't wait to finish in the morning
The Following User Says Thank You to MorningZ For This Useful Post:
bigallis1 (09-03-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum