Theft Deterrent Light Flashing - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-17-2011, 09:58 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Theft Deterrent Light Flashing

Greetings. New (and happy!) Venza owner here.

I've had the car a little over a week, and only yesterday noticed the theft deterrent (engine immobilizer) light continues to flash, even if the car is unlocked. It seems operate correctly - turns off when the ignition is switched on, stays lit and then flashes when armed after the car is locked. And the alarm does indeed go off if I happen to be inside the vehicle and open the door with the alarm armed.

It may very well be that it's always been flashing and I only just noticed it, but I have to ask: is this the normal behavior?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Thanked 4,765 Times in 3,321 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I remembered this little gem from a while back in the Sequoia forum, which seems like it addresses your concerns. Worth a look at least....

Theft Deterrent System light

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#3 Old 10-18-2011, 12:49 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Yes, thank you. I remember reading that thread when I did my initial web search. It's what brought me to this forum.

I should have mentioned I have a smart key system in the Venza. As such, I can't use a physical key to see if it stops the blinking. As it is, the light continues to flash irrespective of the presence of the smart key fob.

If anyone with a smart key can check to see if that light is continuously flashing, even when the Venza is unlocked, I'd greatly appreciate it.
#4 Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Until you activate your igition under a smart key or keyfob the light flashes continuously.

It' working as it should.....you just didn't notice it previously
#5 Old 10-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
Yes, thank you. I remember reading that thread when I did my initial web search. It's what brought me to this forum.

I should have mentioned I have a smart key system in the Venza. As such, I can't use a physical key to see if it stops the blinking. As it is, the light continues to flash irrespective of the presence of the smart key fob.

If anyone with a smart key can check to see if that light is continuously flashing, even when the Venza is unlocked, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Mine blinks like yours. Relax.
Also you also do have a physical key. Its in the fob. Just press the little button on the side and the key slides out. That's in case you let your FOB battery run down.
#6 Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks all. I finally noticed that the constant flashing is by design - it's right there in the manual! Still, it's a bit confusing, as that flashing light could mean the engine is immobilized (when unlocked) or the theft deterrent system is active (when locked).

I don't think I noticed it before because most of my time in the car (when not driving) was pairing bluetooth, setting speed dial etc., which is all done with the ignition/accessories set to on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum