How to remove steering wheel cover??? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum

Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $351355
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View redgtxdi's Photo Gallery
How to remove steering wheel cover???

OK, I planned to have pics but forgot to post earlier & wife's got the Venz so I'll describe now & post pics later.

Looking to remove either the back cover by itself......(there are peep holes via the cruise control bezel and a similar cover on the opposite side).....and possibly the front cover too, if possible.

I saw a YouTube video showing 2 torx screws removed via similar areas but want to make sure before having a go.

My idea is to bolster up that rear cover as it's sloppier than a license plate held on with one screw and to top that off, mine's popping & jiggling since they replaced my steering stuff....(I think they really screwed it up replacing the steering column, but the spiral cable & turn signal assembly didn't help matters as they fubar'd the turn signal clamshell too which I already had to fix).

I figure if I can remove either piece, then I can get some foam or something in there to make it solid so it doesn't feel like my fingers are going to fall in between the gaps there whenever I grab the 3 spokes while turning casually.

TIA

P.S. Yes, I realize airbag-critical, be safe, disconnect batt, etc. etc.

2011 Venza 2.7L. 9,000 miles wondering if there ever was an NVH crew assigned to Venza
redgtxdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Gameroom cash: $816872
Lifetime Supreme Member
View nhcycle's Photo Gallery
Which cover...the one onmthembackside of wheel?...if so,ther are twomscrews,on lor part for cover and two inserted through the wheel frame out through the frame to the plastic cover....ya have to remove the center pad/airbag assy.... There is also,a,steering wheel dampened under the center pad/airbag assy."
nhcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $109900
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View bigcsorren's Photo Gallery
I know you don't want to hear this, but I need to say it. Just tell the dealer to take care of it. You have a 2011, right?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

{V6~AWD~Loaded~V-Leds~Morimoto~Pecca leather~Invision Headrest DVD Monitors}
bigcsorren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $351355
View redgtxdi's Photo Gallery
Too late.......I got my hands on it........

Pretty much what I saw in the YouTube video. The torx bolts are T30 in case anyone does anything with their steering wheel in the future. (I may still have mine leather wrapped by an auto upholster down the road)

Red arrows are where you might want to insulate to bolster things up. (see my wad of grey foam at the bottom arrow) Safely out of any airbag interference as this is simply to take the "flop" outta that POS. The green arrows are where I found my wires misrouted. I put them in their proper places/clips. Did I mention my dealer practices before?

The next pic is from the right side. The red arrow is where you want to insulate. I actually doubled up here cuz there are about 3 or 4 contact points and lots of flop in there. The blue arrow is where I found that intermediate piece literally separated by about 1/2 of an inch when I got it back from the dealer last repair. Fortunately the plastic is so flimsy I was able to snap the tongue & groove back together. (whew). Ya, my dealer scares me.

Here's a link to the YouTube video I spoke of. A little different as venza has a couple plastic covers to pop off on the side before accessing the torx screws but same basic idea and good safety precautions and process within......

2011 Venza 2.7L. 9,000 miles wondering if there ever was an NVH crew assigned to Venza

Last edited by redgtxdi; 07-31-2012 at 08:50 AM.
redgtxdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View UCPACman's Photo Gallery
What dealership did you use?
UCPACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum