Toyota Nation Forum banner

Well, that's that. Toyota won't fix my roof...

21K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  maxims3 
#1 ·
Well, after three trips to the dealer, and over a week in service total, Toyota has said officially that the roof creaking pop is a "normal operating circumstance due to the complexity of the panoramic roof", and will take no further action to fix the issue.

Why can't they just fix the stupid car and be done with it? Not exactly asking for the world here... So now they're refusing to stand behind a $39K car (which I paid $30K for certified, AND bought an extended warranty to 120K miles). :help:

They said I could file a Lemon Law claim, or go to third party arbitration, but honestly, I don't have time for any of that these days. I'll probably just sell it or trade it in a couple months.

Right now, I am so mad that I am thinking I will never buy another Toyota; after witnessing their extraordinary "quality" first hand, and seeing how they stand behind their products... But, I am just mad. I'm sure reason/logic will kick in any minute... seriously, any minute... uh... any minute? :D

Sorry, that's my rant. I do feel a little better now. However, just through I'd share my experience... :thanks:

See less See more
#3 ·
Is this the dealer or toyota corporate denying the fix? If the dealer, escalate to corporate customer services. If toyota corporate, file lemon on them. It doesn't really take all that much time and they are obligated to make one last attempt to fix. If dealer is in your corner, subpoena the service manager and techs. You certainly qualify.

I did and won.

#4 ·
Hi NH...

It's Toyota corp.

Problem is, in Maryland, the car has to be under 24 months old, and under 18,000 miles to be considered a lemon... Mine is outside the limits...

Problem isn't all THAT bad, but it's a problem none the less. Just bothers me how Toyota told me it's "normal". I know what normal is, and it is not that... :disappoin

#6 ·
Gotcha.....that sucks..... In NH the requirement is that the vehicle must still,be under warranty.....basic factory or extended, doesn't matter...... One has to question how much the entire mechanism would cost to redeem themselves to engender and/or retain customer loyalty. Sad.

#11 ·
Well, after three trips to the dealer, and over a week in service total, Toyota has said officially that the roof creaking pop is a "normal operating circumstance due to the complexity of the panoramic roof", and will take no further action to fix the issue.....

The obvious question here would be: if it is NORMAL why did they attempt to FIX IT not once, not twice, but three times?

Perhaps a sign in one of your windows with "ASK ME ABOUT MY CREAKING ROOF" would help you.

#13 ·
The noise sounds like it's just an annoyance (not that it's right you have to deal with it). You purchased an extended warranty. If it eventually fails your covered or sell it before that warranty is up. Selling it now is an emotional decision that will cost you money in the end.

Anyways the dealer tells you the noise is "normal". Do they have any Venzas on the lot that you can listen too to prove how "normal" that sounds is?

#14 · (Edited)
I found this interesting article today and thought you might be interested in looking at it. One client had a cracking roof noises that couldn't be fixed and got his car replaced. There were quite a few cars from all manufacturers. (2012 Toyota Camry: Sunroof made popping/cracking noises – Client received $5000 cash and got to keep his car (Greensburg, PA))

Lemon Law Help
Lemon Law Refunds and Replacements Were A-Plenty This Spring

June 26, 2013 By: Admin Category: Car Lemon Law, refunds
Spring was a busy time at the 1-800 LEMON LAW headquarters as we successfully helped over 1,000 distressed drivers with their lemon car problems.
We always love to share the positive outcomes of past Lemon Law and breach of warranty cases with our readers, so below are some of the highlights from the past few months. Obviously, all cases are different and we cannot guarantee a particular outcome for any case, but each of these drivers took advantage of our 100% cost-free legal help and fought back against the big-money car companies using State Lemon Laws and Federal Warranty Laws.
And remember that in addition to the rewards listed, the manufacturer covered all attorney fees. EVERY client received completely free legal help with many cases settled in a matter of months or less.
If you have a claim under the Lemon Law, you could be looking at a complete Lemon Law refund, including taxes, tags, down payment etc. (minus a small mileage offset); a replacement vehicle; or significant monetary compensation to reflect the diminished value of the vehicle as a result of the problem.
FIVE drivers with leaking 2012 Jeep Wranglers with Water leaks received complete vehicle refunds under the Pennsylvania and New Jersey Lemon Laws.
FOUR drivers with leaking 2011 Jeep Wranglers received complete refunds under the Pennsylvania and New Jersey Lemon Laws.

#15 · (Edited)
You do have a claim under Maryland Lemon Law. It is just one phone call- Kimmel & Silverman are very good at what they do. I'm guessing the call would be under 10 minutes . I did this and used them in 1997- bought a new car and they could not fix it. After the initial call the next time I heard from them was to drop off the vehicle at the dealer and pick up my check. Good Luck.

http://www.lemonlaw.com/maryland-lemon-law.html

#16 ·
For the poster not familiar with the "pop" sound, it's audible usually when the vehicle goes over uneven surfaces.....(think pulling diagonally into a driveway ramp)....or odd angles thru dips in the road and the like.

I didn't hear it for the first 2 years but have heard it since.

Being that Toyota was ready for me to lemon law out of the gate when I complained 10 ways to Sunday over their current level of build quality (especially as it relates to Venza's interior) I figured I was on the losing end of a battle that Toyota wins no matter what.

I've just about got my '11 paid off and am looking for a hybrid........as bad as it kills me, I might have to ignore anything Toyota has to offer just on principle!

I'd say you have to think of Toyota now more as 'appliance', than great car company.

#24 · (Edited)
I think I can help here, turn up the volume and pay attention at 11 seconds mark. I have recorded a few video to show my service adviser when my next service was due... I repeatedly getting this pop sound where have a cured downward bands I have to drive thru.

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/bensonc627/media/My Venza/VIDEO0023-0_zpsd8831cb8.mp4.html

My car start having this sound this summer when it is 26months old with 26000km. What concern me is my brother in Hong Kong told me the the glass roof on his RX350 (Yes, RX350 there have pano roof) break the first day when he pick up the car and hit an uneven surface on the HWY. I think it maybe something related to weather as mine is more serious in summer time.

#17 ·
Well although haven't gotten to a dealer to complain for my creaking roof yet - So far anything I have complained about as always has been explained by the dealer as not covered inmy extended bumper to bumper warranty : the TRIM is not covered - that`s alot of stuff to not cover IMO considering selling it as bumoer to bumper ext. warranty.

My advice is keep copy of roof complaint: from the sounds of it clacking hard it might someday shatter while driving - now it HAS become a safety issue previously complained about so then you file ( another) consumer complaints with different authorities available.

If you feel Toyota is not being fair then be brave and file and serve them for small claims court for the exact amount it would take to replace the whole mechanism. It`s only $50-75 to file. You represent yourself while Toyota will spend alot more for a lawyer to prep and show up. The math is often cheaper for them accepting your claim without prejudice.

Remember Toyota just got fined $1,2B by the govt for covering up and not fixing complaints and included in the court decision is that Toyota must have a govt inspector on premises everyday to monitor files and complaint handling.

The big guy got big because of ALL the little guys buying their products. Don`t believe them when they make youfeel as though the little guy doesn`t count. Maybe not in their little minds but it is in eyes of the law.

Please let us know if Toyota or the dealership refused your warranty complaint

Cheers

#18 ·
If you feel Toyota is not being fair then be brave and file and serve them for small claims court for the exact amount it would take to replace the whole mechanism. It`s only $50-75 to file. You represent yourself while Toyota will spend alot more for a lawyer to prep and show up. The math is often cheaper for them accepting your claim without prejudice.

Cheers
I often wonder what would happen in a small claims case like this, you may have agreed to waive that right when purchasing the vehicle though. They wouldn't get a lawyer involved in small claims (can't bring one anyway) I can imagine the field rep and service manager of the dealer may show. They can point to the "normal operating vibrations and noises" section of the warranty agreement, you would have to prove not only is the noise abnormal (probably not hard to do with a video) but that replacing the sunroof would solve it, no?

#19 · (Edited)
The best argument thus far has been "why has the extra ordinary effort expended by the dealer to fix a problem toyota claims is normal function." If a claim is filed in small claims court this would be the best claim for repair or renmeration to be made whole in lieu of it fuctioning as warranted.

FWIW. The extended warranty should never have ever been sold as bumper to bumper coveage as it has never covered trim - only elecrrical/ electronic and mechanical components and systems.

#20 ·
So On Thursday I had just picked up my lil guy from daycare, and was turning out of the driveway. He had already passed out as soon as he hit the recaro car seat :D. I turned out of the driveway, and POP! it was so loud it woke him up and he started crying. Last time he did that was when he was sleeping on the beltway, and a ducati 996 with exhaust blew past at full throttle (just for comparison). :facepalm:

Yesterday I contacted the lawyers. Thank you Focus for the referral. They said same NH said... If it's normal why did they expend resources under warranty at their cost to attempt to fixit? Looks like I may have a claim...:dunno: way I see it, worst case is I live with it, which is ok. Best case it is fixed, or I'm compensated.

Thank you all for your insightful replies!

Will keep you guys posted for sure...

#23 ·
We have the same problem. We are very upset and it's getting worse. Started about 18 months after we got car. Brand new 39k car. With under 30,000 miles on it. How dare they tell me this is normal. My 6 year old Tahoe has not a rattle in it Yet this car is FLEXING. Poor design it is flawed. I am disgusted. Toyota should be ashamed. It's getting worse every month. I want a resolution!

#26 ·
I asked my dealer (BelAir Toyota Ottawa, Canada) to check my roof creaking noise during my regular oil change. They kept my car for a day and service adviser said they will lube the sunroof track and so.... When I picked up the car after a full day stay, they said tech didn't found any problem during test drive(Which always did) and I didn't see any trace of lube in my sunroof....
As my 2013 are halfway to the warranty period now, I start making record for my complaint. I will mention this again to my advisor for the next oil change and if I got the same answer, I am going to bring a projector and stereo system to play this in their service waiting room to let them see...
http://youtu.be/4HsTfOVY5XY

Hope this vid useful for some here...

#27 ·
Holy Crap, that sure sucks that you guys are having problem with your pana-sunroof that you paid so much for .I sure hopes that you all get it resolve, when I got mine 4mths ago I opt out off just about all options with exception of V6 and Power Lift Gate, my wife said I was been cheap, I laugh, but I almost did, for Navi I use my Samsung Galaxy Mega with turn by turn through the car speaker via blue tooth. Love this car, good luck to you guys.

#28 ·
#29 ·
You dealer will only repair your vehicle under warrant with reimbursement from toyota under one of two conditions: that TSB is expanded to include Venza for your VIN; or the dealer replaces parts or performs prescribed modifications with toyota warranty management approval.

It is worth bringing in a copy of the TSB to your dealer and discuss. If it's a no with an argument from the dealer that they wouldn't be reimbursed, ask if they will support you in your effort to get approval from the customer service appeal process. If yes, then contact the customer care number and push further. Right now there is no interest by toyota to issue a Venza TSB for this problem but a per case approach may just work for ya - with dealer support. Personally, I would expect the dealer to just perform the work as a routine warranty claim using the instructions and recommended parts replacement in the reference TSB.

#30 ·
New solution?

I saw this posted on another forum;
"Hate to say it, but it seems the only solution to this is to re torque the sunroof fasteners. My 2011 developed the problem at about 20k. It took the dealer about 3hrs to fix as the headliner has to come out along with assorted interior parts. They said they hadn't seen a Venza with the problem but had fixed a dozen or so Camrys. Now have 68k and the noise has never appeared again."

#36 ·
Hey guys, so I'm pretty much assuming that no one was able to figure out a solution or a workaround with this issue, I am just not looking forward to bringing the car to the dealer today here in Toronto. Mine is really annoying, and as mentioned above, during hot days its even worst. Not sure what would be the best solution here, and advise? I got a 2016!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.