1995 Toyota Avalon XLS - problems - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 1st Generation (1995-1999)

1st Generation (1995-1999) Specific discussion of the first generation Toyota Avalon

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
NFS: Most Wanted

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View toyosupra_87's Photo Gallery
Canada 1995 Toyota Avalon XLS - problems

Hi Avalon owners.

Need your help!!

My problem:

1. I've hit a couple of pot hole a bit hard. My avalon start vibrating hard from the front passenger in between the speeds of 100 to 115 km/h. There is a very very light vibration from the same area starting 0 to 100 km/h. The tires is 4 month old. I did a test on the rim and it damage. (Picking up a used rim from the wrecker and swap tires). I got the emergancy tire on, I test it out, and light vibration going 100 to 115 km/h.

What is the problem? is the ball bearing gone? should I get a "new" lower control arm (note: bushing are a bit broken up) ???

any suggestion?

2. My climate control vent direction doesn't work. It stuck in one position (towards the driver/passager).

What will I need to change?

3. My rear driver side power window doesn't work properly. The power window goes down quickly but to roll back up it take minimum 45 minutes( I must leave the car running and it goes upe 2 cm at a rate of 5 minutes estimate) I've change the fuse, my friend and I check the wiring and switches: working perfect. I've notice that when I open and (especially close) any window in my Avalon, all the electrical "stuff" dims down. Would I need a new power window motor?

Thanks in advance
1997 Dodge Caravan-family van/winter beater
toyosupra_87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
MDT Toyota Tech

View BadChicken's Photo Gallery
I would get the front wheels balanced to see if that takes care of the vibration
As for the window my guess would be that your gonna need a new window motor.
BadChicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2006, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Canada Thanks BC

Thanks BC

Got atleast a start.

I'll update this thread incase anyone come accross with a similar problem

Thanks again!
Old 05-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $134630
View gideon1331's Photo Gallery
I've noticed that the drivers window in my mom's avalon can do that, although not that bad. If I grab the top of the window and pull it backwards the window shoots up effortlessly. I think it is because the track for the window is either damaged (unlikely) or loose in some way (more likely). It may be worth it to take off the door panel and see if anything is visibly loose. So long as the window will still go up the motor is fine. The lights are dimming because it is having to work so hard to push up the window and is drawing a very high level of power. If the track is causing the motor to work that hard, the motor will eventially burn out.

As for the vent position, the small electric motor that changes the vent position has likely failed or become disconnected. You can tell if it is simply disconnected if you can hear the slight noise it makes when you try to change the position. If it is failed you may be able to get on from a junkyard (although I doubt many avalons have made it there ) or find one on ebay.

With your tire, the alignment of the wheels is locked in at the factory so it would most likely be the bearing. Something similar happened to the caravan we had years ago. If you have a ton of miles on the car the bearing could have been worn out anyway, and the large bump was all it needed.
1998 Sienna CE, 1999 Camry XL, 2000 Camry XLE, 2002 Tundra, 2003 Tundra,
2003 ES 300, 2004 Camry XLE, 2005 Tacoma
gideon1331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up Thanks gideon1331

Thanks for the huge info and suggestions!

1. I've "somewhat" check inside(removed the door panels). but at that time my goal was checking the wiring if there was current or not. I'll remove the panel to check inside the door if there is anything going on the track of the window.

2. Can you help me with the vent position situation. In otherwords, any picture of the small electrical motor would be helpful aswell if there is an removal and installtion procedure. I'll be searching to see if I can find something. I got the repair and maintainance book but its doesn't show everything.

3. A friend at work tells me, 80% chance that its the Ball joints. Can the ball joint be replace or do i have to change the lower control arm?

This weekend is going to be a very very busy week working on my Avalon.

Thanks for the help !!!
Old 05-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $134630
View gideon1331's Photo Gallery
I'll see what i can dig up on the motor for the air vents. We also have the shop manual and I agree that it can sometimes be very unclear about how to do something, as well as where it is located. It showed the amp in my mom's avalon being about two feet from where it really was.

See if you can find a generic manual at a library...they usually arnt as comprehensive as the shop manual but the Haynes one I have for my Corolla gives actual pictures instead of stick-figure diagrams.
1998 Sienna CE, 1999 Camry XL, 2000 Camry XLE, 2002 Tundra, 2003 Tundra,
2003 ES 300, 2004 Camry XLE, 2005 Tacoma
gideon1331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2006, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View fj40supraman's Photo Gallery
An alignment is a good place to start to fix any vibration.
It will also tell if anything is out, causing you to ruin your tires.

As far as the window goes. Take it apart and run it. I can usually figure out what's wrong within minutes.
'85 Corolla- engine lost compression=junkyard (4AC)
(3S-GTE MR2 or 2JZ-GTE Supra as soon as eng. degree pays off)
fj40supraman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2006, 06:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Canada Vibrational problems

Thanks for help and advice to all.

I did go the the shop and try to get an alignment and what was is that the first inspected my tire and my rear driver side tire was misses up.

Can't believe I misses that.

So I smack on the spare tire, as planning to get a nice set of new tire (Lots of traveling to work)

When I was changing the tire, I was checking the coil.......... and notice that a piece of the base of the coil has broke......

I'm planning to coil and strut assembly, anyone with any suggestion what aftermarket part or OEM should I go for?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View mjs106's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyosupra_87 View Post
2. My climate control vent direction doesn't work. It stuck in one position (towards the driver/passager).
What will I need to change?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyosupra_87 View Post

2. Can you help me with the vent position situation. In otherwords, any picture of the small electrical motor would be helpful aswell if there is an removal and installtion procedure. I'll be searching to see if I can find something. I got the repair and maintainance book but its doesn't show everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gideon1331 View Post
I'll see what i can dig up on the motor for the air vents. We also have the shop manual and I agree that it can sometimes be very unclear about how to do something, as well as where it is located. It showed the amp in my mom's avalon being about two feet from where it really was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gideon1331 View Post
As for the vent position, the small electric motor that changes the vent position has likely failed or become disconnected. You can tell if it is simply disconnected if you can hear the slight noise it makes when you try to change the position. If it is failed you may be able to get on from a junkyard (although I doubt many avalons have made it there ) or find one on ebay.
Did anyone ever figure out how to fix this issue? I'm having the same issue with no luck.
mjs106 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 1st Generation (1995-1999)