1997 Avalon diagnostics connections - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (1995-1999) Specific discussion of the first generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-15-2006, 08:51 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Question 1997 Avalon diagnostics connections

I have a 1997 avalon with that I had to put a new cylinder lock on. Now the SRS light is on all the time and the TRAC off light is blinking. I bought a OBD II digital code reader to clear the error codes, but the only connection I can find is a diagnostics plug in under the dash board right under the steering wheel. The only problem is that the code reader plug and the diagnostics plug are 2 different configurations. The code reader is rectangular and the diagnostics is almost round. I thought the 1997 Toyota Avalon was OBD II compliant. Does anyone know if I am looking at the right connection or is there another one I have not found.

Nucchem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Official TN Member

OBDII is rectangular, OBD1 was round...and that's what's strange...your car should be OBDII, like toyo says, there should be a sticker on the underside of the hood stating if it is OBDII compliant. my niece's 97 camry is OBDII, all since 96 are supposed to be OBDII.....and you are looking in the right place...under the steering wheel.......strange
#3 Old 08-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Senior TN Member

Location: San Diego CA, Glen Cove NY,Fairford UK,Cedar Rapids, IA
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There should be a panel in front of your left knee. Pull it out and the connector is behind it.

It worked fine until I fixed it!
#4 Old 08-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Official TN Member

my 97 has a rectangular diagnostic fitting under the hood, I think (I am going from visual memory here because I am at work and have had one to many anheusers to totally count on my memory). I thought the state inspection guys were going to have to pop my hood, but they hooked in under the steering wheel. Do we have two connections?

1997 Avalon sold June 2009 with 183K on it, still looking and running great! 2004 Highlander bought for son with 165K.
#5 Old 08-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Official TN Member

Like csxan said, it is up above the fuses after you remove the panel on the lower left dash, it just pops out.
#6 Old 08-17-2006, 08:41 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Well you smart guys. You were absolutly right. I had forgotten all about that little hiding place. I popped it out and there is my OBD II connection. The only question I have, why is there a ODB I and an OBD II connections. Because Toyota had not completlely converted over a required by federal law? Any way thanks a lot for your help. I'll let you know how the error clearing goes.

Nucchem

Last edited by nucchem; 08-17-2006 at 08:43 PM.
#7 Old 08-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Official TN Member

Probably in the initial phases of OBD II they kept the OBD I connector as well. I think mine has both of them too. Interesting to know if the '98s have them both?
Also with the OBD I you should be able to short two terminals and get a code with the CEL blinking. I used to do that with my 89 corolla. Anyone tried this with an Avy?
#8 Old 12-17-2007, 12:27 PM
New TN User

1999 Avalon has it as well

Just a note that the 1999 Avalon has both connectors too. I found the round one when I bought an Actron meter and couldn't find the OBD II one. So I called them up. They were little help, telling me that they couldn't help me find the exact location and suggesting that I look behind the coin holder (which isn't there) or ashtray (which doesn't come out). But they did tell me that Toyota has a manufacturer specific round connector that is not OBD compliant and that connector is the one I found. They said that connector may read out more or less information and is used only by factory technicians to diagnose problems with the engine. Having read this post and found the proper connector (in a place I had looked before but last time at night by flashlight), I can say that the car is in fact OBD II compliant!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 1st Generation (1995-1999)